INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnail Issue  (Read 16393 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Thumbnail Issue
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2007, 08:46:33 pm »

no go :(

second i hit play the cover art before the song being played, the song being played, and song after are gone.

rjm

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2007, 09:00:50 pm »

Another idea...

In new empty library switch the cover art option (Tools\Options\Covert Art) to [Album] - [Artist].jpg.

Then go to one album and rename folder.jpg to Artist - Album.jpg

Import all the files for the album and test cover art.

If this solves the problem, we may be able to automate the renaming all folder.jpg files.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2007, 09:25:57 pm »

followed those steps..no go :(

rjm

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2007, 09:40:25 pm »

Do you have any albums that have the artwork imbedded inside the mp3?

If yes, is the cover art ok?

If no, suggest you create one so we can confirm problem is related to external artwork.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2007, 09:44:44 pm »

i do not. i use to have them all that way. then i ran into this issues, then i went to the artist=album.jpg then i went to folder.jpg.lol

can you walk me through that again please

rjm

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2007, 09:52:22 pm »

If you saw same problem in past with imbedded artwork I don't think there is any point in retesting. This tells me there is something else wrong with your system, probably not related to MC.

Are you experiencing any other problems with your system using other applications?

It's a long shot, but since nothing is making any sense, perhaps we should check it. I have seen hard drives fail in very strange ways. They don't always die a hard death, sometimes they start serving up bad data. Suggest you run chkdsk on your music hard drive to see if it reports any problems.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2007, 10:07:22 pm »

have done chkdsk. and system is working flawlessly. im actually an admin in a computer tech room in a chat program. so im failrly knowedable with computers, and a pro with google. as far as jriver's goes. its been flawless except for coverart from all the way to version 10. i just have issues with it, but as you see in the forum here so do many others. not sure what the deal is?

but hey you have a life as well, and you have been more then helpfull. i'll just do what i been doing since version 10.

listen to my stuff. back it up. if i have company over, restore library so its nice and neat. and cross my fingers they dont choose a file that the cover art will disappear on. and if they do. the next day restore again.

See there's a work around ;) I'm a pro at it.lol

Take Care and Thank you again!

one note to add... i have my system backed up in many places\External HDD's. have tried backups as well,  i also use externals on my laptop. and same issues on laptop.

rjm

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2007, 10:30:27 pm »

ok, thanks

I'll keep thinking and get back on this thread if I come up with any other ideas.

I am certain it will turn out to be something really easy to fix. Probably an incorrect setting.

Speaking of settings...

I asked this before, but double check your auto-import options. I am talking about the folder specfic option "Ignore special files (folder.jpg, etc.)". I am not certain what this option does, but try reversing whatever it is currently set to. Then run Auto-Import Now.

rjm

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2007, 10:42:32 pm »

Still grasping for straws...

Any chance you turned on Party Mode and then forgot to turn it off?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2007, 10:45:28 pm »

nope party mode is off.

and in auto folder settings ignore special files(folder.jpg) is unchecked.

rjm

« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2007, 10:58:46 pm »

one note to add... i have my system backed up in many places\External HDD's. have tried backups as well,  i also use externals on my laptop. and same issues on laptop.

I see you have same problem on laptop. This is a really big clue. It eliminates all kinds of possibilities like hardware problems or bad MC install.

Your problem must be incorrect settings or actual problems with your media files.

Starting to wonder again if your folder.jpg's are buggered somehow. Why don't you go get a fresh artwork from the internet for one of your albums and save it as folder.jpg. Make sure it displays ok with standard windows jpg viewer after saving it.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2007, 01:11:18 am »

rjm' i dont need to do that..

it will work. ive done that many times!!!

questions is like you just said if its buggered. whats buggerin it?

rjm

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2007, 01:31:49 am »

Are you saying that you know your folder.jpg files have errors but that you don't know what is causing the errors? 

If yes, lets focus on a folder.jpg file and have a closer look to see if we can figure out what is being changed by what.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2007, 01:43:50 am »

you know RJM your onto something... anyway i can zip up a small folder on my system the frank sinatra one. send it to ya. virus scan it. and import it into your library?

but then again may not want to do that either. because we dont know whats wrong with it and last thing i want is for you to go through what im going through!!!

amd know. I don't they have errors, ive not come to that conclusion yet. it's a .jpg ya know.. i open it in window picture fax viewer, photoshop etc.. it opens its beautiful it works. so no way to tell if there are errors. unless you have another idea on how to test it?  ;D

rjm

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2007, 01:49:45 am »

I PM'm my email. Send me a folder.jpg file. I will poke at it with a few tools to see if I can spot anything.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2007, 02:07:16 am »

email sent. incase your spam\junkmail filter blocked me

rjm

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2007, 10:06:28 pm »

I inspected the folder.jpg you sent me. It is a perfectly normal jpg image. Resolution is fine at 200x200 and there are no abnormal IPTC or EXIF tags.

I also read the threads you emailed me. They indicate that in late 2006 there was a problem with Windows Media Player 11 and/or Windows Media Center 2005 changing the file attributes of folder.jpg to hidden and/or system. Some users also reported that some of their folder.jpgs had been changed to black images but I didn't see enough corroboration to believe this, and even if true, this is clearly not your problem because the folder.jpg you sent me is fine.

My current theory is that your problem is caused by one of the following:

1) Hidden/System file attributes: It is possible that MC thumbnails do not work when folder.jpb attribute is hidden and/or system. And it is possible that some other program on your system is setting these attributes in the background. This would explain why the thumbnail is present until you play the file. I expect the thumbnail was built correctly when the hidden/system attributes were off. Some time later the attributes were set. Then when you play the track MC rechecks for folder.jpg, does not find it, and your thumbnail disappears.

Please go to the Sinatra folder.jpg using Explorer and right click properties to inspect the Hidden attribute. Is it set?

I don't know a direct way to inspect the System attribute. You can check it indirectly by going into Explorer options and hide system files. Did folder.jpg disappear when you did this?

If either of these attributes are set then I bet this is the problem. We then only need to figure out which app is setting the attribute.

If they are set, suggest you clear them and then inspect once a day or so to see if something sets them again.

To clear Hidden for all files, using Explorer, go to the root folder of your music, right click properties, clear hidden, click apply and then select apply to this folder and all below it.

I do not know how to clear the System attribute. You will have to do some digging to figure out how if System needs to be cleared.

I think we already disabled the Windows Media Player options that might have caused this.

Do you have Windows Media Center on your system?

Your screen shots indicate you might be using an Explorer enhancement or replacement. Is this true?

2) Incorrect MC setting: This is not likely because we have checked everything I can think of except...

Double check your auto-import options. I am talking about the folder specfic option "Ignore special files (folder.jpg, etc.)". I am not certain what this option does, but try reversing whatever it is currently set to. Then run Auto-Import Now.

Have you tried this?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2007, 01:46:36 pm »

the folder.jpg were hidden, but I used fibooti, in all folders and chose to unhide. so all my folders in explorer now show the folder.jpg in them like it's supposed to.

And i have hidden system files tunred off now because i can see them again. cause Fibooti fixed them all.

i have disabled every single setting in WMP and i dont have have windows media center. i Only use J rivers

I use windows blinds. yes.. and i just disabled on startup that and still same issue :(

And i tested the auto import as well. but no go there either RJM.

rjm

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2007, 02:01:22 pm »

I understand that you cleared Hidden on all the folder.jpgs but I am wondering if something turned it back on.

Please inspect Hidden via Explorer properties on the Sinatra folder.jpg.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2007, 02:04:11 pm »

i have many times. RJm since i did it a few days ago.. there not hidden anymore, and ive played the sinatra as well, it doesn thide them. only issue i have is j river holding the thumbnail down.. and i think its because i deleted all options in WMP and all playlists?

rjm

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2007, 03:02:10 pm »

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that MC thumbnails are working correctly now but that you are worried that the problem may re-appear? Correct?

If yes, then I am pretty confident that the problem was caused by you importing your music into WMP which then in the background set the hidden attribute on your folder.jpgs. I don't think we will see this happen again now that we have removed your music folder from the list of folders that WMP monitors.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2007, 03:11:20 pm »

sorry i explained wrong again.. the folder.jpg's are showing in there folders. they weren't, they were hidden. this fibooti has taken OFF the hidden attribute and shown them in the folders again..

SO  Windows explorer is back to the way it should be and HAS BEEN since BEFORE you pm'd me your email address and i gave you those links on the issues with thumbnails...

But JRiver still makes the Thumbnails disappear IN jriver WHEN i play them. NOT explorer.. They Remain Where they should I explorer and have since i have used fibooti.

So the issues is within Jrvier only. the folder\explorer is back to normal ;)

Not yelling BTW.. emphasising certain words  :)

rjm

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2007, 01:36:27 am »

Sorry to be so persistent but I am not certain we are completely understanding each other. Would you please right click properties on Sinatra's folder.jpg with Windows Explorer to display the following:

http://www.pix01.com/gallery/096CD9BF-EA48-4502-94CB-B8945B0A382D/rjm_temp/

And please confirm that the Hidden box is clear.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2007, 01:41:47 am »

i couldnt see your jpg. but i checked and know what your talking about. no need to apologise :)

yes read only and hidden are unchecked, i think if hidden was checked then i wouldnt be able to see the folder.jpg in the folder correct? or am i mistaken?

so that part is right :)

thanks

rjm

« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2007, 01:49:25 am »

Sorry, I followed the JRiver FAQ for using Pix01 to post images but could not get it to work.

In any case, you got what I was looking for.

To answer your question, you may or may not see hidden files depending on your Explorer options.

So I am at a dead end now.

Everything pointed to Hidden being the problem. Including us understanding why it was set, and why your MC thumbnails disappear when you play a song.

Maybe someone else has some fresh ideas. Cheers.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2007, 01:52:17 am »

thanks again RJM for your time, and pushing forward on this.. its one big headache i know. but i appreciate the time you have spent.
Thank You and Take Care.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2007, 04:36:46 am »

BY GEORGE I THINK I'M GETTING SOMEWHERE!!!

RJM.. check out these pics. ok in my music folder i used that Fibooti to uncheck the hidden attributes. Well i just put in a cd to add to my cd collection. and i always goto amazon to get the cover arts, and i right clicked the cover art and choose save picture as and then i always name folder.jpg and set it on desktop then move it do the appopriate folder.

Now...i got an access error saying that folder.jpg was already on my desktop..which i couldnt see, so i went to C:\documents and Settings\joe schmoe. and you can see all my folders well look at my desktop folder. it has a picture on it? so i right clicked properties, and it wasnt chosen as hidden, so i chose customise and picked Restore default. Guess what picture it brought up for the default view? FRANK SINATRA COVER ART!?

So i chose folder options shows system files again and there it was on my desktop, so i deleted the folder.jpg. But there is still one left on the desktop, it's called desktop .ini. should i delete that as well? is that for jriver? or am i good with just deleting the folder.jpg?

I also did a search for hidden files folder. for folder.jpg. and these came up as hidden folder.jpg's
E\myvideos\friends vids
E\My Videos\ Photoshop Tips
e\my videos\funny\audio clips

and

C\docs and settings\joeschmoe\local settings\application data\IM\identities\ bunch of numbers letters\message store\attatchemnts
Which is the email that i sent to you.

Sorry for bringing ya into this again. but if your like me, I'm sure your curious for the answer :) and i think i'm getting somewhere

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2007, 06:51:04 am »

Sorry, I followed the JRiver FAQ for using Pix01 to post images but could not get it to work.
You've got an image on pix01.

rjm

« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2007, 01:42:49 pm »

You've got an image on pix01.

Yes, I got my image onto Pix01 successfully. But when I put the link between IMG and /IMG (with square brackets) it did not display.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2007, 01:49:42 pm »

Yes, I got my image onto Pix01 successfully. But when I put the link between IMG and /IMG (with square brackets) it did not display.
The link isn't an image.  I changed your post so it shows the link.

rjm

« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2007, 02:04:28 pm »

The link isn't an image.  I changed your post so it shows the link.

Sorry, I may have stomped on your edit, because I tried again to make it work. If you wouldn't mind, please edit my link again so I can learn the correct way to do it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2007, 02:13:10 pm »

There isn't any way to do it as an image, but you can just use the link pix01.com sends you.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up