INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Gapless, Volume Normalization and Ipod Classic  (Read 1606 times)

olarte

• World Citizen
Help with Gapless, Volume Normalization and Ipod Classic
« on: September 27, 2007, 06:59:45 pm »

Does anyone know how to setup Gapless play and normalize the volume when I sync to the Ipod Classic?

Will it work with the Volume Control setting?

is it as simple as setting Gapless in the playback setting and right clicking set output volume adjustment on the Ipod properties?

Please help. and Thanks

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help with Gapless, Volume Normalization and Ipod Classic
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 07:11:16 pm »

Does anyone know how to setup Gapless play and normalize the volume when I sync to the Ipod Classic?

Will it work with the Volume Control setting?

is it as simple as setting Gapless in the playback setting and right clicking set output volume adjustment on the Ipod properties?

Please help. and Thanks

Up to now (5th gen iPods), as long as the song was ripped with a "gapless aware" encoder (which has been the default with MC for years) the song would automatically be gapless on the iPod.  Are you saying that there is now a "gapless" setting on the iPod itself?  If so, this is new, and I'm not sure what it would be used for.  "Gapless" playback doesn't "remove" gaps -- it simply doesn't "add" gaps.

For volume control, with the 5th gen iPods you just had to "Analyze" the song in MC.  After this, the "sound check" feature on the iPod would work.  I don't know if the Classic is any different in this regard -- hopefully someone will test this and post their results.

Note that with the 5th gen iPod and VBR mp3 encodes, if you seek to a different spot in a song during playback, the iPod will no longer play gapless.  You can pause and resume playback, but you need to let the song play from the beginning to have the gapless transition work.  Seeking messes this up for some reason, and the longer the song, the more of an error you'll get at the transition.  I don't know if the new 6th gen Classic iPods still suffer from this or not, but the 5th gen units did.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up