INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Three zones - two different volume levels  (Read 862 times)

simonmason

• World Citizen
Three zones - two different volume levels
« on: September 16, 2007, 06:26:12 pm »

I just added a third sound card in my machine and sucessfully configured it as a third zone.  However, the volume on this zone is quite a bit lower than the other two zones (which are apprxomiately the same level).  I have volume turned up on all zones, and I have system volume at highest setting.  Switching between internal and system volume in playback options makes no difference.  Could this just be the difference in sound cards - they are not the same card?  If this is the case I assume I can switch to internal volume control and reduce the two other zones until they are close in output to the new third zone?  Thanks.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
Re: Three zones - two different volume levels
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 03:09:27 pm »

your hypothesis is exactly right. The output levels of the cards is just different, so reduce your two other channels to match.

HTH

R
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers

simonmason

• World Citizen
Re: Three zones - two different volume levels
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 06:41:13 pm »

As a follow-up to this message I found out what the problem was.  Each sound card is accessible through the Windows volume applet (double clicking on the speaker icon in the system tray or through control panel) by going to file properties (would have been nicer if this drop-down was visible on the main screen!).  I certainly didn't know this.  When I did finally figure this out I noticed that the volume levels on the newly installed sound card were set at 25%.  Obviously Windows does this to prevent speaker blow-outs when you first install the card.  Increasing the volume here solved my problem.  Hopefully this will be helpful to someone else in the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up