INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: licensing clarification  (Read 997 times)

barcode

• Recent member
licensing clarification
« on: August 16, 2002, 05:01:56 am »

I just purchased MJ yesterday and love it.  I've been using it for a couple of months and it's a great product.

However, as others have already mentioned on this board, the licensing details are a little confusing.  I purchased MJ from work so my first install was done from work.  I had always planned on installing it on my home system as well, but figured I would just be able to enter my registration code into the program.  That was not the case though and I ended up wasting a restore because I couldn't understand the FAQ.

If you plan on purchasing MJ and installing it on more than one system, here's what you should do.  Keep in mind that the installation key that is generated when you submit the registration code is only good for 2 weeks.  Here are the steps (maybe not exactly accurate, but close enough):

1.  Open MJ, click on Help... Buy Media Jukebox.  This takes you to a secure page where you can enter your personal information along with your payment info.

2.  Fill out the form and click on the purchase button.  You get a confirmation screen and then you're redirected to an automatic download screen which generates a registration code and automatically installs the installation key.  There is a message here saying that if the installation isn't done automatically, you can click on the registration code and that will start the installation.

***3.If you plan on installing MJ on another computer it is very important that you right click on the registration code link, even if the installation was done automatically.  I'm pretty sure that the download screen stayed open even after the installation was complete but I just ended up closing it because at the time I didn't think I would need it.

4.  The file you save is an .mjr file or something similar, and if you bring that file to your other computer, you can just run it and it will register your copy of MJ on your second computer.  Remember, the installation key you've just saved is only good for 2 weeks.  After this 2 week period, you would have to go to the MJ restore page and generate a new one.  This will cost you a restore, which you only have 6 of.

Because none of this is made clear in the Payment FAQ, I had to use a restore to be able to generate another installation key.  This could have been avoided if the message on that automatic install screen said something like:

"Right click and save this file if you plan on installing MJ on more than one computer.  It will only be good for 2 weeks, after which you will have to generate a new installation key with the registration code you receive in the e-mail purchase confirmation."

Right now it only says to click here if the download doesn't begin automatically and there is no mention of the other stuff.

Sorry for the long post but I feel this is MJ's only problem and I wasn't too happy having to waste a restore because of this issue.  Anyway, keep up the good work with the program MJ and I can't wait for MJ9.

Thanks, Randy.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Harry The Hipster

RE:licensing clarification
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2002, 05:13:43 am »

Well stated.

HTH

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2002, 05:20:56 am »

there may be a reason all that nice info you talked about is not on the page.

I am not sure what it would be.

I agree it is not clear, unless you read the FAQ
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

barcode

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2002, 05:37:29 am »

I read the FAQ several times and didn't really gain much from it.  I agree that software developers have to take precautions against piracy, but think that this info could have either been printed after a person entered their credit card info, or even in a confirmation e-mail.

Anyway, 5 is still a decent amount of restores, seeing as I don't re-install my OS all that often, but it was still a little frustrating that things were so unclear.

Randy.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

petersohal

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2002, 05:43:28 am »

Randy,
Thanks for posting this message and your points are well taken. We will look at making the FAQ clearer.
PeterS

gateley

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2002, 09:11:13 am »

THanks for the input - I am working on the FAQ with a little (lot) of help from another user.

j

barcode

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2002, 09:16:55 am »

No problem.  Glad if I can help out in any way.  Let me know, Randy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up