INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center on 2nd Display  (Read 1298 times)

thurston

• World Citizen
Media Center on 2nd Display
« on: October 03, 2007, 09:11:15 am »

My computer is equipped with a dual output videocard that allows me to display on my LCD monitor via DVI and TV via S-video.  I have it set up in dual-view where I can drag windows from the LCD monitor to the TV (Since the native resolutions of each screen are different I don't use clone view). 
I was wondering if there is a way to open Media Center so that it opens on the TV instead of the monitor.  The software that comes with the video card contains settings that allow me to specify which progams open on which display, but it doesn't work with MC for some reason.  Ideally, I would have a MC shortcut on each display that when doubleclicked opens MC on the active display.  Is there any way to do this?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center on 2nd Display
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 12:56:34 pm »

You can have fullscreen and Theater View shown on the secondary display:

Player|Display Options|Display Settings
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 02:40:34 pm »

Also be sure to check out the "Detach Display" feature.  It's sweet and powerful.  You can have multiple detached displays all playing different content (using Zones).

Soon I'm going to have some pictures posted of my company's video wall system, which is running using MC!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 03:10:33 pm »

Wow thanks guys this sounds like exactly what I was looking for!  I've browsed through postings talking about zones before and always assumed they had to do with servers and clients (which I know very little about) and so paid them little attention.  I'll have to play with them a bit to see what options I have with my setup. 

If I can't have a shortcut icon on each display that opens to that display, I'm going to see if I can figure out how to have Theater View always open on the tv whenever Media Center is started (using cncb's advice), and standard view on the monitor with the option to change to Theater.

I also have some concern with how this will slow the system down.  Although I have a pretty fast gaming/HTPC system, Media Center does lag quite a bit at times.  I just bought a pair of new harddrives to free up some room so hopefully that will partially clear up that issue (my old drives are 94% and 96% full).

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 04:25:14 pm »

I currently have two LCDs but also have a nearby television (larger screen) so I'm going to see if I can get it setup to have theater view go to the third monitor and then if I never drag the normal MC interface over there, it should return to 1/2 monitors on its own.  I just don't like it when stuff starts opening on my TV and it's off so I have to either constantly disable/enable my TV or turn it on to grab the windows that appeared over there.

Glynor I'm very interested in what you're talking about.  I'm in college and work here doing computer related work--especially web programming--but we have been talking about video LCDs all over the campus.  That would be amazing to have a central area with a few zones that could cycle or whatever on all the LCDs.  What's a good system for running this?  I can only imagine the possibilities of something like this--displaying calendar info, having students give news reports, administrator updates, etc.  And if this content was created for these TVs, then it could easily be posted online for podcatchers.  Of course if audio is included, then it's much more difficult, especially in noisy areas like the cafeteria.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 04:31:53 pm »

I could almost picture a custom view skin that would provide a video area plus some text space.  It would be tricky because we'd want some text stuff--calendar, announcements, etc...but video and possibly audio as well--and maybe some live video.  It might be a little more complicated and might require something more specifically built to handle that stuff.  If all the text/etc was rendered out to video files, then MC would work great.  Or is there another way with MC?
Pages: [1]   Go Up