INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gaming Question (Bioshock)  (Read 4577 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Gaming Question (Bioshock)
« on: October 02, 2007, 06:53:54 pm »

I purchased Bioshock on Steam and was very disappointed to learn that my medium end graphics card was nowhere near powerful enough to run the game in good quality.  So, I ordered a very nice DirectX10 graphics card and had to get a bigger power supply.

Now I'm running XP.  What does DirectX10 provide for new games (such as Bioshock)?  Do I need to upgrade to Vista?  I always hear specific details that are lost by not having the latest hardware--special shadows, etc.  With such a nice video card I'm tempted to want Vista but I did not like it when I installed it before so hmmm.  I've looked online a bit but nothing amazing has appeared.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

benn600

Re: Gaming Question (Bioshock)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 07:20:15 pm »

Marketing speak doesn't really help. I went to the download link and it doesn't even say DirectX 10!  It just says DirectX download.  I'm led to believe DirectX 10 is not for XP but I've heard some people are hacking together an installer for XP.  And that doesn't give any specifics of what's better over directX 10 and if I should really want it.  Is it foolish to spend a lot of money on an ice graphics card without Vista?  Isn't the whole point to get directX 10?  And don't you need Vista?

I already had read that article beforehand.  It is just bragging to common folk about how amazing Microsoft's new software is--go buy it!

RiderFan

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 12:09:44 am »

I m sure Directx 10 is Vista only.
I have an ATI 2600xt (DX10) and it locks up all the time playing bioshock. I have to force ditectx9 in order to play. This is a known bug that many people also have.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 09:21:14 am »

in order to run DirectX 10 games and applications, you'll need not only Vista but a DirectX 10-compliant graphics card or integrated-graphics chipset.

I would think so
Fayetteville, NC, USA

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 09:38:06 am »

Microsoft has admitted that having DX10 vista-only was a mistake.  'Pundits' expect to see DX10 released for XP either via SP3 final or as a separate download.

In the meantime, DX10 has already been updated to DX10.1 'obsoleting' the first-generation of DX10 hardware as far as the fan-boys are concerned.

And having a DX10 card does not guarantee a high-level of 'horsepower' for graphics.  DX is a programming interface, not a measure of performance.  In some cases DX does require certain hardware functions to try and enhance performance.  But those functions do not guarantee performance nor does one generation of DX necessarilly outperform older DX versions.

There are plenty of DX9 cards that out-perform DX10 cards.  And DX9 cards are generally cheaper than DX10 too.

Be sure you look at relative performance numbers on your graphics cards.  Sometimes a card that costs $500 will 'outperform' a $200 card by 3 or 4 percentage points.

And remember that graphics cards are notorious power hogs and heat engines.  It may be impossible to properly and reliably operate a high-end graphics card in an mATX case with limited airflow and power.

Even if DX10 were to be adopted universally today it will not obsolete the several hundred million high-end DX9 cards and software out there.  DX9 will be out there for many years to come.

I'd stay with DX9 for now.  Not near enough games that speak DX10 and none of them do DX10 exclusivly.

benn600

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 11:34:23 am »

I want to play Bioshock at 1920x1200 (my LCDs native resolution) at a decent frame rate.  The card I am buying was tested by a web site and they claim 40 frames per second at full quality 1920x1200.  That's why I got it.  It will be delivered in a few days.

johnnyboy

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 08:40:02 pm »

Always love how much money people are willing to spend for a simple game - they'll totally spec out a system just for one game and spend hundreds of $$$'s doing it!
If you're really into gaming just get a PS3 or X-Box 360, then at least you wont have to worry about constantly changing hardware requirements, everything made to play on it is designed for an exact hardware config.

benn600

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 11:08:28 pm »

Believe it or not I can't believe I'm doing it, either.  I listen to Leo Laporte a lot on different podcasts and such and he kept talking about how amazing Bioshock is and lots of my friends really like it, too.  So I bought it but my hardware is not up to spec.  Yes, I could have got a $200 video card and got okay performance at a lower resolution but with this nice card I can play it at the best resolution I can support.

It will be around $365 after rebate.  That is an amazing price considering the same base card is for $400-$500 by other manufacturers.  It sold out a day after I bought it.  I believe it's somewhat of a new card, too.  The most I have ever spent on a video card prior to this is ~$160.  Oh, and then I needed the $150 power supply...so add that to the cost.  Plus the $50 game cost.  Now I'm tempted to buy more of the latest games.

Unfortunately, the core problem with games is that they don't help me be more productive!  I don't have enough time to do everything I need to do as it is...so I'll block out some more time for game playing.

Addition: can easily be thousands.  Take the latest $500 processor and $500 video card...$250 power supply...more fans/better case/cooling $100.  Nice mouse/keyboard $100.  Oh, and then add a second video card (SLI) and second processor (dual-quad core processors).  Oh, and add a physics calculation card (they're out there!) $200

I know someone who just spent $12,000 buying a new Mac.  They get a new Mac every 3-5 years and spec it really nicely (30" cinema, obviously).  Remember that this nice video card will help in other areas of system performance--especially if I had Vista.  Lastly, add the extra power costs of 2 to 3+ times the power requirements for your system with all the extra hardware!

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 11:33:49 pm »

and yet you plead poverty when talking about cutting corners on your disk storage.......

benn600

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 11:38:57 am »

I'm going to get a dang power supply.

END IT.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 12:37:21 pm »

If you're really into gaming just get a PS3 or X-Box 360

Both Remind Me Of The First Primitive Tools Used By A Cave Man Compared To The Newest Of Video Cards.

I Would Prefer The Using The Latest, If Only My Pocket Book Latch And Pocket Book Shoulder Straps Were Stressed To The Max.

A Totally Specked Out Dell \ Alienware Is About $9,000+
Fayetteville, NC, USA

benn600

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 09:14:00 pm »

With everything in my current computer, including what appears to be one the latest ATI graphics cards, I'm still well under $2,000!  Granted I need to see how it performs when the pieces all arrive.

I got the video card today.  It is gigantic and heavy!  Unfortunately, even though I ordered a new power supply, I was 99% sure that it would not work in my existing case because I intentionally got a smaller case and the PSU holder would hold the PSU but it would cover up a pathway for cables and probably wouldn't line up against the back to screw in.  I could have definitely made it work without screwing everything down/leaving the top of the case off but that's not a good long term solution.

So knowing my PSU will be in tomorrow, I decided to run to Best Buy.  They had basically the same case I have (Antec New Solution) but in the slightly larger case with 5 external bays instead of 3.  It also has 380w PSU instead of 300w.  It has a PCI-E power connector but I need that plus a second even larger (8 pin) connector.  Yes, I tried it, and the graphics card would not initiate.  The fan did and starts probably at 100%--it's very loud.

I do not like this new case as much.  Even though its very similar (identical in appearance practically) the sides aren't built as well and they easily fall off without the top on so I have to always remove the sides.  But at least with this, I'm 99% sure the new PSU will fit.  I have another PSU with a second 6-pin connector and that is supposed to work so I was tempted to grab it--lol.  But using two different power cables from different PSUs in different computers is probably a bad idea....and LOTS of hassle.  Yes, I'd have the 2nd computer on and drawing normal power too.

I'm looking forward to Starcraft 2 and some other upcoming games so it doesn't hurt to upgrade my computer a bit.  I need to do some research on the card I bought to see when it was released/if it is basically the top of the line/when the next one might be out and how much boost will it have?

The card also has a $30 rebate that I need to send in asap because they only give 16 days instead of the usual 30.  But this was a very good price for this card.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 10:36:35 am »

what size is the mobo?

Oh, and the way ATX power supplies are designed they will not supply power unless plugged into a motherboard.  You can't just 'double up' on power supplies to have one power your drives and the other one the mobo and video card.  There are lots of electrical reasons why it's a Bad Idea to have uncoupled power supplies running 12 and 5 volts into components that are grounded together and connected via data-signal cables.

$2k on a new system?  I just built a quad core, 4 Gb system for about a grand.

benn600

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 12:49:55 pm »

Did you include a higher-end Samsung 24" 1920x1080 LCD?  And a $450+ video card?

I know there are lots of issues with using separate PSUs.  Also, I specifically stated that the 2nd computer would be ON so it would be drawing from all the channels.  I know they can't be on without any draw.  And I wasn't going to try it.

I was comparing to a $9K Alienware.  I am well under that price and am anticipating very good speeds in Bioshock.

My processor was ~$200 back in December when I bought it.  I saved $20 (special savings) and it is essentially the SAME price today as when I bought it 11 months ago!  So there hasn't been much of a jump in moderate end processors...which is good.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 05:11:55 pm »

don't need to.....

Here is one comparison of dx9/dx10 and bioshock....

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2174301,00.asp

benn600

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 08:58:49 am »

Extreme tech is a great site.  They have a good podcast that I've listened to before.
Pages: [1]   Go Up