INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ok now this is getting anoying mj will just shut down on playing  (Read 703 times)

Wolfie

• Recent member

wma files poof.

so I am thinking about deleting all my wma and coping my music to mp3.

May be I will delete all of my music andstart over from scratch can any one tell what size and format is the best for music.

Please help me out.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.348
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 1471 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 335 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer
this is my info

Harry The Hipster

RE:ok now this is getting anoying mj will just shut down on playing
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2002, 04:27:00 am »

Depends on what your priorities are. And your ears.

For instance, if you have unlimited space, APE - significant file compression, lossless.

MP3 is the most widely supported format, and it gives you very significant compression if space is a consideration, but a lot of people believe that it is so-so audio, at least until you get to 192-224 kbps, and at that point, you're losing some of the compression advantage. If you're going to use mp3, a lot of the users here recommend VBR.

WMA gives the most substantial compression (I think), and has some supporters, but a number of others feel the audio quality is inferior.

Ogg Vorbis (IMO) gives very high quality. It's slow in the encoding process, and is not as yet widely supported in Hand-helds and other programs. You can always rip as .wav if you've got the room, then do a batch convert in MJ overnight.

You really have to listen to figure out what you think the best quality audio is - say, rip/encode the same track from a CD in MP3 224 VBR, WMA at 96 or 128, O/V, APE, then play them consecutively at the same settings. Once you nail that preference down, compare file size, speed in encoding, think through how and where you'll be accessing the files, go from there.

No off-the-shelf answer. De gustibus non disputandum est.

HTH

Listening to Dave Douglas - 'A Thousand Evenings' on Rhapsody (home computer is defragging ATM, so can't access MJ)

Henrik L

• Recent member
RE:ok now this is getting anoying mj will just shut down on playing
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2002, 01:36:44 am »

I would go with OGG, but that just me

OGG : Gapless Playback Sounds better then MP3 at the same avg. bitrate. 100% Free.
MP3 : Can never have true gabless playback.
MPC : Gapless Playback. Even less known then OGG.
APC : Only cuts the file size down 30%-40%, but sound/is 100% the same as the CD you riped it from.
WMA : No gapless playback (has the sameproblem as MP3). Only works on Windows and some Handhelds.

Ok......flame away
Pages: [1]   Go Up