INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Video Files  (Read 1870 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Tagging Video Files
« on: September 27, 2007, 08:47:08 pm »

Hey guys. I've got the whole mp3 tagging thing down just right. I love it. I tag the following fields:
Artist
Album
Track
Name
Genre (I've got about 25 genres that I classify everything into; I am finding this to give me enough separation so I don't have 1000 artists in a "rock" genre, but not so detailed that I have dozens of genres with only one or two artists)
Year
(And then the intensity, bpm, etc. from the audio analyzer)

With all the tagging, I've seen the results of how pretty and efficient Theater View (and Media Center altogether) and smartlists can be.

Now I want to apply the same thing to my video collection. Thankfully it is very small (100 DVD Movies, 20 Seasons Worth Of TV Shows, and maybe 100 home videos that I've taken since I got a digital camera some number of years ago) when compared to my audio collection (nearly 10,000 albums). My question is pretty simple. What are the essential fields that I need to tag and how do I go on about tagging them. Here's what I was thinking

For DVDs:
Name (Name of movie)
Year (I'll use theatrical release)
Box art (all over the place)
Genre (Only a handful needed probably; I'd love to hear how many and what names people give their dvd genres. I can only think of about oh, 8 or so that I'd want to use).

Is there anything else that I am missing that is commonly tagged in video files? Director? Studio? Is there a way to automatically grab this information off a site like IMDB? Keep in mind that when I rip the DVD, I encode it into one h.261 .mp4 file like Adaptation.mp4 or The Departed.mp4   Nothing else seems to get tagged. Oh, what's with the crazy bitrate readings. I was expecting to see ~1400 since I rip my DVDs at about 1400kbps in h.261 encoding but instead I see things like 244 and even negative numbers. Bizarre.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Tagging Video Files
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 09:26:36 pm »

you know, on second thought my mind is starting to race a little bit. is there any way I can just enter in the barcode number to associate with the .mp4 file and media center take care of the rest? i mean, couldn't i in theory tag all that i mentioned above as well as all the actors and more? if it would do it for me automatically i'd say great.

for example i tell media center (or some program that can do this and then i can import it all into media center... that would work fine too i suppose) that the upc code on my movie let's say gangs of new york is 0123456789

then it hits a database and pulls ALL the information off from me. tha twould be quite snazzy. i could filter out dvd colletions by actors. by film studios. heck, even by gross income if it somehow could accurately grab data off boxofficemojo.com. crazy.

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 10:06:09 pm »

If you are serious about recording all available information about DVD's then you should evaluate Collectorz.com Movie Collector. I think you will be surprised how many different data fields are available for DVD's. They support a bar code interface that ties into their database plus about a dozen other databases.

I use Movie Collector for my main DVD database. In MC I record only the Movie name and date.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 10:10:30 pm »

If you are serious about recording all available information about DVD's then you should evaluate Collectorz.com Movie Collector. I think you will be surprised how many different data fields are available for DVD's. They support a bar code interface that ties into their database plus about a dozen other databases.

I use Movie Collector for my main DVD database. In MC I record only the Movie name and date.

So I could collect all that data from Movie Collector and then import it into Media Center so I don't have to do it all manually? This sounds too good to be true...

rjm

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 10:16:42 pm »

Yes some of the data will map nicely into MC. Other data, such as episode specific information, will not. I have not tried to automate the exporting/importing of data, don't know if it will work.  Even with automated access to about a dozen databases, it still takes about 20 minutes to properly populate the data for one dvd. I can't afford the time for another step.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 12:34:36 am »

Yes some of the data will map nicely into MC. Other data, such as episode specific information, will not. I have not tried to automate the exporting/importing of data, don't know if it will work.  Even with automated access to about a dozen databases, it still takes about 20 minutes to properly populate the data for one dvd. I can't afford the time for another step.

This program is throwing me through some loops. I'm in the process of building the library of my dvd's... but after that, then what? I can export as a .mvc file     How Does MediaCenter incorporate any of this data? How can I assign the data I pulled from this database to specific .mp4 files?

mander

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 02:25:42 pm »

I would like to see something like http://mymovies.name plugin.  This app plugs into media center pc, but not sure if you can make it run here.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 07:15:10 am »

Yes some of the data will map nicely into MC. Other data, such as episode specific information, will not.

you can map everything and import to MC if you create a report with ".mpl structure"

:)

MT5FR
Pages: [1]   Go Up