INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ipod classic 1.0.2 update, coverflow etc...  (Read 2602 times)

olarte

• World Citizen
Ipod classic 1.0.2 update, coverflow etc...
« on: October 08, 2007, 02:09:24 pm »

You may not want to bother updating to 1.0.2 just yet...

Now that I tagged all 8000+ compilation tracks to have the name~Arist in the track name and generic values like "soundtrack compilation" in the artist name to work around the Coverflow problem on the new Ipods, Apple released firmware 1.0.2 to fix this.

Well "fix" might be the wrong word. The compilations now do get "hidden" from the Artist menu, and show up under compilations etc...BUT in coverflow they show up at the end, are listed by the artist of the first track, and are ordered by the name of the album.

So all the compilations are are at the end and mixed in together by album name.

I'm glad I did some initial testing, with only one or two albums.

I prefer my way better, while I don't get them listed under compilations. At least they all show together (ie. soundtrack compilations Blues compilations etc, then alphabetized by album name).

I had to use Itunes to retag all the compilations on the ipod to NOT be compilations, since it tacked them at the end regardless of how they were named, mixed them all up as mentioned, and also added the artists started with numbers (10,000 maniacs, .38 special) at end.

I then had to use MC to clean this up by re-syncing the numbered artists.

This firmware update is also supposed to have speeded up coverflow but I don't think so. I have about 60gb and about 13000 tracks and it takes close to 10 seconds to bring up the coverflow menu. Specially if I'm playing a track.

Funny part is going back to Itunes just to do some testing and update the firmware made me realize just how much faster MC is!

So I'm glad I developed my own system, and list compilations in a systematic way. I can do a search even on MC simply by the keyword Compilation and have it show up the way I want in coverflow etc...

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ipod classic 1.0.2 update, coverflow etc...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 05:17:24 pm »

The compilations now do get "hidden" from the Artist menu, and show up under compilations etc...

So with the new firmware, does the Classic iPod "never" show the compilation artists in the artist lists, or are you able to see them if you don't check the "compilations" items?  Unlike others here, I actually DO want to see the compilation artists in the artist list, so I DON'T want these artists "hidden" like you describe here.  Is this still possible with the new firmware?

On a side note, do you happen to know what other fixes are in the new firmware, or where this information would be?  Apple doesn't list it in the obvious places like they used to.

Thanks,

Larry

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 05:39:04 pm »

So with the new firmware, does the Classic iPod "never" show the compilation artists in the artist lists, or are you able to see them if you don't check the "compilations" items?  Unlike others here, I actually DO want to see the compilation artists in the artist list, so I DON'T want these artists "hidden" like you describe here.  Is this still possible with the new firmware?

On a side note, do you happen to know what other fixes are in the new firmware, or where this information would be?  Apple doesn't list it in the obvious places like they used to.

Thanks,

Larry

I think that if you don't check off the compilations menu in either the main or music menus in settings then compilations will not show, and artists will not be hidden but that's just my guess.

They also fixed something to do with contacts, and the tv out lock\unlock although you still need an apple cable.

It's supposed to be a bit faster but I honestly don't see it. I guess with 13000 plus tracks it had to slow down here & there.

Anyway for more discussions head over to http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

hottuna

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 11:04:23 pm »

Larry, if you add songs to a compilation Album in iTunes, and fill your Artist tags with the Artist names, the Artists will appear in the Artist menu on the iPod, and the compilation albums will appear at the end (e.g. after ZZ Top) in Coverflow.

So far I have to say that even with its shortcomings (a bit slow & lousy tagging options as compared to MC), I prefer the way iTunes handles compilations and I use it exclusively for loading my iPod Classic. I did what Olarte did originally (added Artist to the song Name), but once the Coverflow problem was fixed with the latest iPod firmware, I reverted to the standard form of Artist = Artist, and Name = Name, and I use the iTunes compilation checkbox to group my compilation albums.

One main advantage of iTunes being that when using the Music library in iTunes, you can see at a glance what files you've already added to the iPod (checked songs), and you can add songs or rate them even when the iPod isn't connected and they will be added to the iPod on your next sync.

I run an auto-import in MC occasionally to keep it's library up to date and I still use MC for bulk moving or renaming files on disk, and bulk tag and image changes. NOTE: iTunes will lose track of a file if you change it's disk location, and it's not a very easy thing to fix so I would avoid changing the disk location of large numbers of files if you plan to use iTunes.  But if you just want to change some tags using MC you can select all the songs that you modified outside of iTunes and use 'get info' and press OK, and the new tags will be updated in iTunes.

I still use MC when playing music through my home stereo, but for iPod synchronization,  I find that iTunes is the simplest option for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up