INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12 as a LAN Jukebox??  (Read 1391 times)

Jinto

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
MC12 as a LAN Jukebox??
« on: October 16, 2007, 07:23:52 am »

Hi all

I'm a long term user of MC/MJ at home, but would like to run MC12 on a networked PC in the office with everyones music stored on the same PC. Audio is broadcast from the machine via a number of wireless speakers around the building. Is there an app or plug-in for MC12 that everyone can load on their local machine that will allow control of the 'media' PC?

Thanks
Mark

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC12 as a LAN Jukebox??
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 08:18:01 am »

It isn't very fancy, but MC has a built in web interface.  Go to Tools --> Options --> Startup --> Run Remote Server on Port 80.

If you want much fancier than this, your best bet is to check into running NetRemote for now.  Hopefully someday they'll give us a slick AJAX web interface, but not for now.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MusicHawk

Re: MC12 as a LAN Jukebox -- Could require performance license.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 10:33:28 am »

IANAL, just a many-years radio station program director, but this makes me very aware of music performance laws and practices.

In an office or any business setting, be very aware of music copyright laws. Any use of music that is deemed a "performance" is controlled by and normally forbidden by the copyright owner, especially in a commercial context such as an office. This includes playing music over a PA or extension speakers, over a network through various receivers/clients/speakers, as music-on-hold, etc.  In the news last week was a car repair shop being sued for playing music in the shop loud enough for customers to hear it -- a performance!

Doing it legally involves a license and fees from some combination of the RIAA and ASCAP and BMI and all the others who control music use, similar to the payments made by bars, discos, live performers, show producers, broadcast radio and TV, Internet radio stations -- anyone who uses music or any other copyrighted work in a public context. Anytime we hear background music in a store, restaurant or elevator, there is (or should be) a license involved. In the days when bars had massive jukeboxes, the bar owner paid a music license to allow the jukebox to "perform".

This same performance copyright restriction is why it's not legal to set up a TV for viewing in a business waiting room (or bar or any other public place) without a special license. It costs much more to sign up for DirecTV or Dish if the user's location is not a residence because the TV feed is presumed to be a performance.

The gray area is the much acclaimed but poorly-defined "for personal use" concept. It probably allows distributing music through multiple systems/speakers in a home, but it is gray because while this type of "performance" seems like "fair use" to us civilians, some of the copyright controllers seem to think otherwise, as suggested by statements during the recent RIAA lawsuit against a music file sharer.

But in an office, beyond a personal desktop player/radio used by one person, there's likely no "personal" defense. In fact, all the clever PowerPoint presentations that include pieces of hit songs or even background music could be deemed copyright violations, even though there is clearly no "entertainment" value to the bored audience.

The "solution" if there ever is one will require rewriting copyright laws to more cleanly define personal vs. commercial use. But the copyright "protectors" seem to have much more political clout than music lovers.

Based on my understanding of all of this (I've actually read the copyright laws and had various performance licenses), while I love to play my personal music collection in my personal office (iPod synched with MC), I've never been willing to feed it to anyone else, despite many requests from co-workers.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 11:39:06 am »

Maybe jinto does not live in a jurisdiction (or country) where those laws are enforced ?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 11:48:48 am »

Maybe jinto does not live in a jurisdiction (or country) where those laws are enforced ?

It Looks To Me That His Avatar Is A Squirrel Or Some Other Sort Of Rodent.

So Copyright Laws Do Not Apply To Rodents Also.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 12:16:04 pm »

Party pooper

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC12 as a LAN Jukebox -- Could require performance license.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 01:08:05 pm »

In the news last week was a car repair shop being sued for playing music in the shop loud enough for customers to hear it -- a performance!

That was in the UK.  The rules in the US are different, and that car repair shop would have been fine in America.  Another thing to note is that the PRS (Performing Rights Society -- the UK equivalent of ASCAP) sued the car repair shop, but the case has not had a single day in court yet.  As proved recently by Nebraska State Sen. Ernie Chambers, you can sue anyone, but that doesn't mean the case has any legs to stand on.  the The caselaw in this case, even in the UK, is far from clear.

More here: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071008-the-next-copycrime-making-hearable-rings-up-200000-copyright-suit.html

However, broadcasting music around a campus to "multiple receiving devices" would typically be covered even in America by ASCAP (assuming that the artists were members and that the songs you were playing weren't all public domain).  Keep in mind, the performance copyright is different from the recording copyright (ASCAP governs one for most "major" artists, and the RIAA "owns" the other for most).  Recording rights only apply to one particular "cut" or "take" of a song.  Performance rights apply to the creator of the song for any performance.  So, for example, if you played "Cocaine Blues" by Bob Dylan (despite not being very appropriate for an office setting), you'd be fine.  Sure, his recording copyright on it (from Live at The Gaslight 1962) is still valid, but the song itself is in the public domain (it was written by Luke Jordan and recorded in 1929), so "performing" that song -- even Dylan's version of it -- is fine, so long as you don't reproduce the recording.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 05:21:39 pm »

setting aside the legalities as you have to determine if you can do it where you live...

I know of two AJAX web-interfaces that are in development for MC.

One is by MahlerFreak, just search on here for MahlerFreak or web interface I think you'll find a posting of it.

Rich
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers
Pages: [1]   Go Up