INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File association question  (Read 1033 times)

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
File association question
« on: October 14, 2007, 11:21:41 pm »

Is there a way to get Media Center to associate file types using the extension as part of the Type description? What I mean is when you view a Explorer window "By Type" it shows the File Type as "Media Center File". You loose the ability to sort by type when Media Center is associated with a group of files, or at least I don't know how to. What I'm hoping for is a way to have each type be unique such as "Media Center MP3 File", "Media Center AVI File" etc. so the system can sort by type. As of right now if I have a folder full of different file types it's a real pain to pick what I need from the mess. Any ideas or us there something I've missed? I know I could use Media Center it's self for some of this, but working in Windows is just faster and simpler with my folder structures. TIA  ;D
Thanks!

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: File association question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 02:07:18 am »

It's a request that crops up a few times a year, but as of this moment we're stuck with "Media Center File" type for all files associated with MC.

You know, MC and its rename from properties tool would make really quick and easy work of sorting your 'mess' out. It could just work in the one folder (the 'base path') and sort all the files into subfolders based on file type in just a matter of seconds. If you'd like some pointers for this, just ask. The files don't need to be imported for that if you don't want them to be.

-marko

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 10:57:58 am »

Thanks Marko,

Yeah I use Library Tools often to sort and reorganize often with newly imported media, and it works really great, but in the case that prompted me to ask in this situation I didn't need or want to rename or organize the files, I just wanted to sort them by type to open them in order by type in another application. I guess if this is something which has been brought up before with no luck, maybe I'll have better luck finding a way to add the option to Explorer to Sort by extension. I know on my XP system I can manually edit the discription, but it's overwritten with ever new release so that's kind of pointless. And I can't even figure out how to manually edit the discription in Vista other than via the registry. >:( Oh well thanks for the suggestion and I'll post a reply if I find a "easy & clean" solution. Off to work for me now. :(
Thanks!

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 11:09:23 am »

I configure MC such that no file types are associated with it. This solves the above problem. In addition, when previewing media to decide if I should add to my MC library, I prefer to use faster loading tools such as BSPlayer, and therefore I associate my file types with these other viewers.

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 05:35:38 pm »

I found an freeware app that works well by adding an extension column in the detail view in Windows Explorer. Google "Windows Explorer filename extension column" and it's the first link.
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up