INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Complex Home Media Network - Is JRiver Media Center 12 the answer?  (Read 1129 times)

DLB

I can't figure how to attach my .pdf or an exported picture of it to help explain my challenge.

I need software to run on a server to collect video from 4 Tivos, organize it, allow me to make choices to selectively transcode in advance (non-real-time) some of it for portable devices through iTunes or Windows Media integration and serve it selectively to 4 other PC's(Laptops) that are intermittently on my home network.  The portable devices would be connected to these laptops, not directly to the server.

4TiVos<--->LAN<--->Server/JRiver/Transcode<--->LAN<--->4LAPTOPS/iTunes/WMP<--->4PortableMediaPlayers

I also need to organize and serve these PC's and portable devices music, other audio, and ideally photos though it doesn't look like iTunes supports photo albums very well if I go the Video Ipod route for the portables.  I don't want to have the JRIver software on all 5 PCs, just the server.  2 of the laptops are work laptops.  iTunes and Windows Media Center is installed on them, but anything else is an issue.  Ideally, JRiver can serve the files through a combination of UPnP synchronization or Podcast type synchronization to the laptops and finally to the end portables through iTunes or Windows Media Player.  I have been playing with iPodifier and RSS Feeds for Podcasts into a remote itunes so this seems like one way it might be done.

I also have a PS3 that will be served via UPnP, but that should be more straightforward, I think.

Sorry if this is confusing, but thanks in advance for your help!
DB

DLB

Re: Complex Home Media Network - Is JRiver Media Center 12 the answer?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 11:15:28 pm »

Help!  Nobody with opinion or recommendation?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 08:10:36 am »

There are servers built into MC.

Library Server serves files to another copy of MC, so with MC installed on all the PC's, you can handle the file server/playback side. 

MC also has a UPnP server so it can serve files to UPnP devices.

I believe the TiVo recorded files are a proprietary format that MC won't play.

I don't think you will find a single program to solve your problems.  MC is as close as you'll come.

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 12:08:42 pm »

I need software to run on a server to collect video from 4 Tivos,
You will need other software to get from tivo to your LAN as tivo encrypts what it records, so a way has to be found to decrypt it ;)

Going in the opposite direction, MC-->Tivo is possible.

..organize it,
MC will allow you to do that, but not automatically.

allow me to make choices to selectively transcode in advance (non-real-time) some of it for portable devices through iTunes or Windows Media integration and serve it selectively to 4 other PC's(Laptops) that are intermittently on my home network.  The portable devices would be connected to these laptops, not directly to the server.
MC can do this via its library server. You would also install a copy of MC on each of those PCs to act as clients.

I don't want to have the JRIver software on all 5 PCs, just the server.
This may be possible through 3rd party rich clients developed by other users here. if your requirements are light, this might work quite well, if its more GUI heavy then nothing beats having MC itself to do the job.

I also have a PS3 that will be served via UPnP, but that should be more straightforward, I think.
I think MC can serve through UPnP too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up