INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Video playback problems  (Read 8900 times)

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
Video playback problems
« on: October 23, 2007, 10:14:51 am »

I've been trying out MC12 on a trial license.  The audio side seems fine although I still need to play with the settings some more to get the sound quality I'm expecting.

However, on the video side I have been unable to play anything.  I've tried existing files (.avi, mjpg, dvsd, WMV7) which all played fine on WMP10 and none of them will play properly - they stutter, stop, the audio breaks up terribly. 

Worse still none of these files will now play on WMP10. I've tried uninstalling MC and it makes no difference.  Having read some of the posts I've
a) reinstalled MC & updated to the latest build 12.0.338
b) turned off video acceleration
c) check all the relevant codecs are present with Gspot

I really have to get this resolved as I don't have a way forward or backwards at the moment.

I'd really like to get the MC option sorted but at the moment I'd take any suggestions for resolving MC or WMP.

Help!

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Video meltdown
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 10:20:37 am »

I should have included:
running on XP Pro
AMD Athlon 1.3GHz
512Mb RAM
Radeon 9200SE 128Mb graphics

I appreciate this is not a good spec for video.  I'm in the process of trying out various apps (e.g. MC) before upgrading. 

The main point is everything was OK viewing with WMP on this machine until I installed MC12.

I've also noticed that burning disks in Nero 6 has got incredibly slow.  What used to take 10 minutes ran for over 2 hours before I cancelled it.  The CPU was averaging around 10%.

?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Video meltdown
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:42:53 am »

MC won't change Nero or WMP, so something else is happening on your computer.

On the MC side, try switching between Legacy, VMR 7, and VMR 9 in Options > Playback > DirectShow Settings... for the filetypes you're playing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Video playback problems
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 05:31:39 pm »

Are there no other examples of MC not working well with Nero - I thought I read something about Nero 7 & Vista - that doesn't apply here but I'm surprised at the definitive statement that MC doesn't affect Nero or WMP.

I tried lots of combo of decoder, filter, renderer with various levels of video acceleration.  I managed to get a couple of mjpg files working OK.  However, the originals are very low quality so its hard to tell whether everything is working as it should.  I have also managed to get the video & audio playing on a couple of AVIs but with bad lip synch problems.  I also seem to have conflicting recommendations from Gspot as the the decode/filter/render combinations for various AVI files.

A few follow up questions:
1) Would a restore point work out beter than an uninstal to check whether the problem existed before I installed MC?
2) How can I resolve the lip synch problems?
3) How do I cater for conflicting filter combinations for the same file type?
4) Is there an easier way of just making all my video play in MC?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 07:07:30 pm »

Just a few days ago a user solved video playback problem. You may try that:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=42997.0
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 07:12:23 pm »

1) Would a restore point work out beter than an uninstal to check whether the problem existed before I installed MC?

Restore point would be cleaner.

As Matt mentioned, we do not change WMP and other players. MC uses DirectShow filters to play most video files, the same as WMP does. If WMP (which also uses DirectShow filters) can not play a file, MC will not likely play it. It is possible that something messed up DirectShow system on your machine. Re-registering Quartz.dll as mentioned in the thread I linked in my previous post may help.

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 01:46:01 am »

OK - I'll read through the other post and try re-registering the Quartz.dll.

leave it with me - I'll try to go through it tonight.

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 07:18:50 pm »

I've reinstalled quartz.dll - doesn't appear to have made any difference.

I read the DirectShow play back guide (well most of it) and decided to install CCCP.
I ran the CCCP Insurgent - I had no other codec packs installed.

There were 200+ filters installed - I started deleting them.  A few succeded but then I started getting "<filter>.dll failed return code: 0x80020009"
I tried unregistering quite a few other filters with the same failed result but different return codes.

I rebooted & ran the CCCP install
The install detected DirectVobSub and asked to disable it - clicked "yes"
The install proceeded a bit further then failed with "RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5"
That's as far as  can go

Any ideas?
 ?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 01:12:56 pm »

I've reinstalled quartz.dll - doesn't appear to have made any difference.

When you run regsvr32 Quartz.dll, did you get a dialog window that says "DllRegisterServer in Quartz.dll succeeded."?

I read the DirectShow play back guide (well most of it) and decided to install CCCP.
I ran the CCCP Insurgent - I had no other codec packs installed.

There were 200+ filters installed - I started deleting them.  A few succeded but then I started getting "<filter>.dll failed return code: 0x80020009"
I tried unregistering quite a few other filters with the same failed result but different return codes.

Some of the filters listed there are actually DirectShow's native filters. You should not uninstall them. If CCCP Insurgent tells you that you have some codec packs, you can uninstall those packs.

I rebooted & ran the CCCP install
The install detected DirectVobSub and asked to disable it - clicked "yes"
The install proceeded a bit further then failed with "RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5"
That's as far as  can go

Any ideas?
 ?

Were you running with administrator privileges?

Do a system restore, to a point where you can play the videos in WMP, then install MC.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 02:04:40 pm »

Do a system restore, to a point where you can play the videos in WMP, then install MC.

I completely agree. Do a System Restore.

Never manually uninstall individual DirectShow filters using Insurgent unless you know exactly what you are doing.  Uninstalling Filters and Filter Packs via the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel is safe and effective, but via Insurgent is dangerous.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 05:58:22 pm »

Hi,

I did get the success message on the quartz.dll and I am logged in with admin rights.

I've restored back to a previous state - The earliest restore I had was 17th Oct - not sure why as they are set to automatic.  At this point I was still getting problems with WMP.

I reinstalled MC and installed CCCP - some good news - most files are now playing fine in WMP & MC.  I still have a problem with some AVI files.

On checking with AVICodec - motion JPEG, MPEG2, XVIDMPEG4 & MS ISO MPEG4 V2 all run fine.

The ones I have a problem with all have a common codec "dvsd Sony Digital Video".  They are all filmed on my Panasonic video camera.  I've looked up the codec file as qdv.dll - this is present within Windows/System32 but does not appear in the video codec list under device/sound, video & game controllers.

I've tried selecting "Panasonic DV Video filter within MC and it froze the PC when I ran the files.

I can't seem to find a copy of this codec anywhere to reinstall.

I've also tried to play the files with VLC - with various (all bad) results from a single still image, to a few seconds of good quality sound & vision then freeze to an error message "AVI file is broken" & "unrecognised format".

We've made some good progress BUT the files that won't play are all my most valuable family videos - I still need some help to sort this last piece of the problem.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 06:04:18 pm »

I completely agree. Do a System Restore.
Good call, glynor.  Good news, waddy.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 08:12:24 pm »

Your camcorder should have come with a disk with software on it. Reinstalling that may help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 10:27:40 pm »

I have a bunch of Panasonic cameras... Assuming Yaobing's suggestion doesn't work, what model is yours, and how did you get them onto the computer?

Also... Do you know what the FourCC of the AVIs that don't work is?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 11:10:26 pm »

Don't know it helps but there are two versions of DV-AVI (Type-1 and Type-2) that differ on how the audio is interleaved.  Type-1 is actually the "newer" version and many progs have problems playing these (stuttering etc), yet I have both types playing fine in MC.....
JRiver CEO Elect

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 04:08:58 am »

Thank you all for the help & suggestions.

I had a quick go at reinstalling this morning - from the original disk supplied with the camera (Panasonic NV-GS250) I had the options of installing the editing app (MotionDV Studio 5.3E LE), the video stream driver or USB driver.  I installed the video stream driver but it didn't make any difference.

The FourCC is dvsd according to Gspot.

I didn't get chance to try anything else.  I'm going to try reimporting one of the files into the editing s/w - see if it plays and then resave it.

If all else fails - is there a way of repairing the files, if required, and re-encoding them with another s/w package so that they will play successfully.

Cheers!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 07:02:38 am »

I'll try to look it up today.  That info should help.

One last question... These panasonic DV files.  Do they play successfully in Windows Media Player now?

I would also try installing the editing package if not.  I would have thought the video stream driver would have done it, but perhaps it just isn't being used when it should.

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 07:36:49 am »

The files don't play properly in MC, WMP or VLC.

I'll reinstal the editing package tonight and give that a go.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 10:13:33 am »

Waddy,

Are the files direct, unedited captures? What capture tool did you use? Is the situation different if you play an edited DV video clip?

Could you capture a few seconds of video with some good quality content and provide a sample? (you can use for example the http://rapidshare.com/ service.)

On my PCs qdv.dll can show standard DV avi video files fine (captured/edited with Adobe Premier). This is what GSpot reports:

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 01:24:22 pm »

Yeah... Somehow your standard DV Decoding Filter got either deleted, corrupted, or unregistered.  Please try this:

Go to Start --> Run.  Paste the following into the box and click OK:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll

You should get "DllRegisterServer succeeded..."

If it says it failed or file not found, please post back with the exact error message. If it says succeeded, then try your files again.  If that fails, please run one of the AVIs through G-Spot like Alex did, and post a screen shot showing the results of the MS A/V render #1 (just like Alex's shot above).

vine-au

• Junior Woodchuck
  • negative, I am a meat popsicle...
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 02:09:29 pm »

My 2 cents on this but I've always had issues arise when I installed CCCP codec packs, similar to what you describe. I use the K-Lite packs now and have no issues at all.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 02:17:27 pm »

Yeah... Somehow your standard DV Decoding Filter got either deleted, corrupted, or unregistered.  Please try this:

Go to Start --> Run.  Paste the following into the box and click OK:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll

You should get "DllRegisterServer succeeded..."

If it says it failed or file not found, please post back with the exact error message. If it says succeeded, then try your files again.  If that fails, please run one of the AVIs through G-Spot like Alex did, and post a screen shot showing the results of the MS A/V render #1 (just like Alex's shot above).

I wasn't sure if Waddy means that qdv.dll is used or not. I also wondered if his AVI files are somehow special and by default use another filter.

If qdv.dll is missing and regsvr32 can't register it reinstalling the latest MS DirectX may help:
DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 02:31:29 pm »

If it is missing, that would be my suggestion (reinstall DirectX).  I've found in other forum postings elsewhere that if the file got corrupted somehow, or unregistered, that reinstalling DirectX doesn't fix it.  You have to find and delete it from your system (or rename them to .bak) and then reinstall DirectX.  Apparently if the file is there, Microsoft dumbly assumes it's fine.  (Good job guys.)

If it has the DVSD FourCC then it should just be a standard DV codec and qdv.dll should be able to decode it.  There are a few fancy proprietary DV-based codecs (DVCPRO versions mostly, and JVC did something weird early on) but unless he used really weird capture software it should be fine.

I bet he just somehow unregistered qdv.dll.  I found all kinds of references to this on a Microsoft Movie Maker help forum, so it is apparently something that happens (probably evil codec packs).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 02:33:17 pm »

My 2 cents on this but I've always had issues arise when I installed CCCP codec packs, similar to what you describe. I use the K-Lite packs now and have no issues at all.

Are you speaking specifically about DV video?

I think DV video is disabled by default in CCCP's ffdshow video decoder configuration panel.

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 04:39:29 pm »

I reregisterd the qdv.dll - got a success message.

Files still don't play.

I reinstalled the MotionDV Studio and imported one of the files - it sort of plays in the preview window but not smoothly.  I encoded a short section as:
.avi - won't play
.mpg - wont play
.asf - will play fine (althought the image quality is not great - but that's not a "defect"

All the problem files have the same values but I don't know how do I include the screenshot in the post?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2007, 05:43:52 pm »

For posting a screenshot you need upload the image to a website and add the link to your post.

If you don't have a privat website you can use free services like http://photobucket.com or http://imageshack.us

JRiver offers this option:

However, I just tried to send this image to pix01.com with MC12 and couldn't make it work. ... Houston, do we have a problem? :)

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2007, 07:49:30 am »

There's a first time for everything.  Lets hope the screenshot is below:

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2007, 07:51:05 am »

However, I just tried to send this image to pix01.com with MC12 and couldn't make it work. ... Houston, do we have a problem? :)
What was the problem?  Hotmail accounts don't seem to allow our e-mail.

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2007, 12:40:45 pm »

What was the problem?  Hotmail accounts don't seem to allow our e-mail.

There was a prob. with uploading, I noticed it a couple days ago.

But it seems to be fixed now.

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2007, 06:19:24 pm »

Does the Gspot screenshot help at all?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 07:01:21 pm »

Does the Gspot screenshot help at all?

Sorry.  Forgot to look at it today.  I'll try to remember tomorrow.

Does it play in G-Spot when you click MS Button #2?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 10:59:30 am »

It'd still be good to know if MS button #2 works in G-Spot.  However, since the G-Spot screenie seems to show that the Render is okay, and that it is using the proper render path my guess is:

(a) Something broke or is misconfigured in MC's DirectShow Playback Settings dialog.  However, this seems unlikely because you said that the videos also don't play in MPC and other players (VLC isn't really a valid test, but Windows Media Player would be).

(b) Your qdv.dll filter got corrupted or borked up in some way.

(c) Whatever software you used to capture the videos requires some weird and specialty DV decoder.

So... The things I would try in order:

(1) Make sure to reset all of the AVI decoders in MC back to their defaults.  Go to Tools --> Options --> Playback --> DirectShow Playback Settings.  Then on the Right under DirectShow Filters, choose AVI (check the box if it isn't already) and click Select Filters.  Then on the left side under Source Filters, scroll through the list and uncheck EVERYTHING.  On the right side under Other Filters scroll through the list and check ONLY JRiver Bitrate Monitor filter.  Under Video Renderer, select Video Mixing Renderer 9 (if you have Windows XP).  Your dialog box should look like this:

(2) First, turn off System Restore temporarily.  Right click on My Computer (on the Desktop or in the Start Menu) and choose Properties.  Switch to the System Restore tab in the window that appears and check the Turn off System Restore box.  Click OK.

Find all copies of qdv.dll on your system and rename them to qdv.bak.  Do this by going to Start --> Search --> All Files and Folders, put qdv.dll in the file name box, and hit More Advanced Options.  Check the boxes for search system folders, search hidden files and folders, and search subfolders.  Make sure Look In is set to C: and click Search.  When the results appear, select each copy in the search results list (one at a time) Right-Click --> Rename and type qdv.bak.

Next, download the latest DirectX distribution from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Next, REBOOT!  DON'T SKIP THIS STEP!!

Lastly, reinstall DirectX using the installer you downloaded from Microsoft.

Then you can re-enable System Restore (just uncheck the same box as you checked before).

(3) If this still fails to correct your playback, then I would definitely try reinstalling the Video Editing application that you used to capture the videos initially.  Perhaps it is using some weird non-standard DV codec.

(4) If that fails, I might be completely out of ideas.  I'd really honestly say the best option might be a nuke/pave (complete wipe and reinstall of windows).  That's drastic though, so perhaps someone else will have some ideas first.

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 12:34:15 pm »

I don't have the spare time to do this today.  I'll get back to you tomorrow night.

If all this fails to solve the problem and before I reinstall Windows - are there any options for re-encoding the file to something more likely to work but with high quality image?  As I mentioned previously if I save a sample clip as .asf (MS audio/video) from the video editing s/w it works although the picture quality is not as good.  If so what s/w app could I use?

Thanks

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 06:58:21 am »

I got as far as reseting the AVI decoders.  I don't have "J River Bitrate Monitor filter" available:

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2007, 08:11:32 am »

I completed the rest of the steps - no joy - no change at all.

I copied some of the files onto a data DVD and played them on my PC at work with WMP - no problem.  So its definitely something to do with the setup or content of my home PC.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2007, 08:11:52 am »

Make sure you are using the current build of MC.  The bitrate filter is new, but is not that important.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2007, 08:17:34 am »

I completed the rest of the steps - no joy - no change at all.

I copied some of the files onto a data DVD and played them on my PC at work with WMP - no problem.  So its definitely something to do with the setup or content of my home PC.

Wow...  I had a lot of hope that the DirectX reinstall would fix it.  I'm completely baffled now.  Does anyone else have any ideas other than a nuke/pave?

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2007, 11:52:06 am »

I was on build 329.  I've installed 358 - got the bitrate filter but it hasn't helped.

I made a DVD from one of the files using Video DVD Maker - it plays great on my DVD player.  The DVD video plays fine in MC but NO audio.

I guess if all else fails I've still got all the precious family footage.  However, it will be a lot of work and not as user friendly.

If a rebuild is all that is left I can do this after I buy my new media PC within the next 6 months.

I'd still appreciate any suggestions of other solutions in the meantime.

Glynor - thanks for all you time.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 03:12:11 pm »

There's a first time for everything.  Lets hope the screenshot is below:

I am wondering, what is "EW AE Filter" for the audio branch?

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2007, 09:30:30 am »

I'm afraid I don't know - anyone else have an idea?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2007, 12:05:58 pm »

I'm afraid I don't know - anyone else have an idea?

When you got to the above dialog window, did you see "EW AE Filter" listed in the Other Filters list? If so did you try selecting it?

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2007, 06:43:15 am »

I don't recall - I'll need to check again.  However, I'm away this weekend.  I'll respond on Monday.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2007, 08:59:24 am »

Could you also pull up a video in G-Spot, point at the "EW AE Filter" in the MS Render graph, and tell us what the tooltip says?  Whenever I search for EW AE Filter or anthing similar on Google, I just get this thread.

Jean-Max

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2007, 12:24:38 pm »

On the right side under Other Filters scroll through the list and check ONLY JRiver Bitrate Monitor filter.  Under Video Renderer, select Video Mixing Renderer 9 (if you have Windows XP)

Hello,

=> What is "JRiver Bitrate Monitor filter" ?

I noticed than in last MC versions, this filter appeared

I was obliged to uncheck it to be able to play some HD video formats (ex: TP)
(sound OK, but black screen)

Thanks for info :)
Jean-Max

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2007, 03:56:13 pm »

Hello,

=> What is "JRiver Bitrate Monitor filter" ?

It is a filter we use to monitor and report the bitrate of the video been played. It is not essential. You can play videos without using this filter.

Jean-Max

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2007, 01:19:52 am »

It is a filter we use to monitor and report the bitrate of the video been played. It is not essential. You can play videos without using this filter.
Thanks for the reply :)

If I am interested to know the bitrate reported by this filter during a video playing, where can I see it ?
Thanks !
Jean-Max

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2007, 09:10:40 am »

Thanks for the reply :)

If I am interested to know the bitrate reported by this filter during a video playing, where can I see it ?
Thanks !

The same place where you would see the info for audio files.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2007, 10:47:45 am »

That video title looks suspiciously like a "scene" release of the Matrix 3.  You're a naughty boy, Yaobing.   ;)  ;D

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2007, 02:03:45 pm »

That video title looks suspiciously like a "scene" release of the Matrix 3.  You're a naughty boy, Yaobing.   ;)  ;D

Hey, the sample was downloaded from Matroska site when I was working on stream selection of mkv format.

Waddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2007, 05:04:38 pm »

When you got to the above dialog window, did you see "EW AE Filter" listed in the Other Filters list? If so did you try selecting it?
Yes its there and I've selected it - no change.

Also the GSpot tooltip for the EW AE Filter is "ewadueff.dll".  The only location that file exists on my PC is in the program files folder for "Video DVD Maker" - which is what I used to burn the DVD I mentioned earlier.  It doesn't appear to have any association with the s/w I used to capture the files from my camera on to the PC.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up