INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: general expanations of video filters  (Read 1093 times)

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
general expanations of video filters
« on: November 10, 2007, 08:54:59 am »

I have been having problems as of late with video.  My aspect ratio is spontaneously changing upon startup of video and results in a very skinny image, like only the middle third of the screen.  This is not a consistent error, but has happened probably 5 times in the past week.  My only recourse was to find the playback settings and rotate through the video filter choices, i.e., Legacy, VMR 7, and VMR 9, etc.

That is my main problem, but the bigger question is:  what is all of this stuff???  I basically picked a new setting or checked/unchecked a box until playback worked.  I have found a few related threads, but nothing like I would hope to find.

Another side effect of this problem was discovering that my dvd playback (almost always ripped to the HD) was affected.  Choosing 'play', 'scene selection', etc. from the main menu is usually accomplished by the arrow keys on my ATI remote.  After playing with the video playback (and DVD playback) settings, this feature was gone.  It's obviously related to the video playback filter (or whatever) that I changed, but I have no idea what I did.  Again, a little trial and error and it works again, but I have a feeling that now my aspect ratio will change in the near future...

I have a clean install with only CCCP installed.  I am keeping this media computer CLEAN, only installing codecs as I have to.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: general expanations of video filters
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 04:37:59 pm »

This should help for starters: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide

It doesn't really cover Overlay vs. the different VMR versions, but those are Video Rendering Filters.  Perhaps I'll add that in at some point.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 07:23:40 pm »

Thanks for the link.  That gave me alot to chew on!  I guess 'directshow' was the keyword I didn't know to try.

Back to one of my lesser points--anyone know why the remote arrows stop working on DVD menus for certain video settings?

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 10:27:27 pm »

Thanks for the link.  That gave me alot to chew on!  I guess 'directshow' was the keyword I didn't know to try.

Back to one of my lesser points--anyone know why the remote arrows stop working on DVD menus for certain video settings?

There's a known issue where dvd navigation breaks for some people when the bitrate monitor is enabled. Try disabling this option on the DVD playback options screen: Tools > Options > Playback > DVD Playback Settings...
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 10:45:35 pm »

I guess 'directshow' was the keyword I didn't know to try.

Good point.  I added a new Redirect to it called "What Video Filters Do I Need?" and threw it in the FAQ category.  That should help.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up