INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion: "pane view" of playlists and iPod contents  (Read 1471 times)

kartman

• Recent member
Suggestion: "pane view" of playlists and iPod contents
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:24:18 am »

I'm new to MC and like what I see but I can't say I'm a huge fan of the way it organizes "album centric" views... Maybe I'm just not finding the options that I'm looking for. Is there a way to view playlists in a "pane view" similar to the way you can scan the Audio library?

Beyond that, where do I direct a suggestion? I've managed to get the view organized by artist and group by album which is close to what I'd like to see. Having  "collapse all" and "expand all" option so you quickly see the album headers with no tracks would be nice and adding the album artwork to the header would be nice too...

For reference, I've been a heavy user of Helium Music Manager for a while and like the way it displays database contents.

Comments?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Suggestion: "pane view" of playlists and iPod contents
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 09:43:33 am »

I'm new to MC and like what I see but I can't say I'm a huge fan of the way it organizes "album centric" views... Maybe I'm just not finding the options that I'm looking for. Is there a way to view playlists in a "pane view" similar to the way you can scan the Audio library?

You can do this by creating a View Scheme and filtering the results to match a Playlist.

1. Create a new View scheme (under the Audio part of the tree would work).  If you don't know how to do this, read the help file under View Schemes.

2. Add whatever panes you want under Step 1 in the Edit View Scheme dialog.

3. In Step 4, choose Wizard (using the Arrow selector thing on the right of the search box).

4. Choose Add New Rule, and make your rule look like: "Playlists is any <your playlist here>".

5. Enjoy!

--- OR ---

Another option is to add a Playlist Browser view scheme, which is a bit more flexible (this is what I use).

0. Organize your Playlists into a Playlist Group.  For this to work, they can't be stored just under "Playlists".  They have to be under a sub-grouping.

1. Create a New View Scheme.

2. In Step 1 of the Edit View Scheme dialog, choose Add.

3. In the resulting dialog, change the Type to "Playlist Group".

4. In the Playlist field, choose the Playlist Group of the Playlists you'd like to filter (the one you put them under in step 0).

5. Click OK and then add the rest of the Library Fields you'd like to use in the browser.

6. Enjoy!

MC's database is extremely flexible.  I tend to use actual "Playlists" only very rarely, and only when I want to build/save a list in a specific order for some reason.  Be sure to investigate building your own View Schemes, as this is where the power in MC lies.

For suggestions, bugs, and support you've found the proper place.  Always check the Wiki and the help file first (and try searching the forum a bit too), but most people here are very helpful and the forum is monitored by JRiver as well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 09:56:01 am »

Is there a way to view playlists in a "pane view" similar to the way you can scan the Audio library?
I've felt this way as well, the best you can do here is when you create a viewscheme,
- select Type: Playlist group (instead of the default Library Field)
- seelct a folder of playlists from the playlist item below it.

This way you will see the expand/collapse of the folders for the playlists.

My only gripe with this method is that its slower than it should be. As MC will go through all the playlists and all their contents before the view stabilises.

The fastest way is to just go to the tree, but then you don't  have that panes look.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 10:14:49 am »

I'm new to MC and like what I see but I can't say I'm a huge fan of the way it organizes "album centric" views...

It might help if you post a screenshot of what you're trying to achieve.  I'm fairly certain that there's a way to get it to look how you want.  As I said... MC's database is extremely flexible.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 10:51:48 am »

It's been years of using MC and I've barely scatched the surface of it's awesome power.

My only gripe with this method is that its slower than it should be. As MC will go through all the playlists and all their contents before the view stabilises.

The fastest way is to just go to the tree, but then you don't  have that panes look.

I find that I can build a View Scheme with rules to do almost everything I can do with Smartlists.
This does seem to resolve changes quicker than referencing a Playlist Group containing the Smartlists.
i.e. I now use View Schemes to find Dupe's, find albums missing Cover Art, find albums missing essential tags, etc, etc, rather than the Smartlists I once used. You can also use "Populate Tree" in the View Scheme settings if you care to browse tree-like.
. . . the game is rigged

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 11:58:46 am »

I find that I can build a View Scheme with rules to do almost everything I can do with Smartlists.
Sure

This does seem to resolve changes quicker than referencing a Playlist Group containing the Smartlists.

I think a smartlist is slightly faster than a viewscheme since you don't do the panes, tho with v12 that might be debatable.

I was referring to a playlist group of playlists, not smartlists, that would not be desirable as it would take even longer to get a display. I don't know if there is any way to get around that lag as its the way MC works, get all the items for the view then display them, the getting part taking much longer.

i.e. I now use View Schemes to find Dupe's, find albums missing Cover Art, find albums missing essential tags, etc, etc, rather than the Smartlists I once used. You can also use "Populate Tree" in the View Scheme settings if you care to browse tree-like.
Populate tree would be quicker, but the thing holding me back is i just can't do without navigational favourites, and to date it lacks any folder support, like  bookmarks with your browser.

So i rarely use the tree to pick either viewschemes or playlists. Populate requires the tree as there will be many children under. I keep thinking they may have better plans for favourites, or maybe there are more pressing needs robbing it of  attention.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 12:27:12 pm »

Absolutely.  All of my Smartlists were converted to View Schemes a long time ago.  The only thing you CAN'T do with View Schemes (which REALLY, REALLY annoys me) is choose them to sync to a handheld device.  Why, god, why can't you pick a view scheme to auto-sync?!?

Pages: [1]   Go Up