INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: playing back video recorded from satellite??  (Read 1291 times)

finallygreen

• Recent member
playing back video recorded from satellite??
« on: October 26, 2007, 05:31:15 pm »

OK...I've spent well over a year and quite a bit of money trying to solve this one.....I'm inclined to think nobody will be able to solve it, but I feel like I've tried everything, so I'm gonna ask and just cross my fingers   ?

OK...so I have TONS of video footage I've recorded from satellite....all sitting on a RAID5 storage box on the home network.  Also on the network is my work PC, and the HTPC.  MC12 is installed on both, but obviously it's used MUCH more on the HTPC.  Anyways, the MC12 installed on the HTPC will now play pretty much ANY format I want it to play....all EXCEPT the mpg's recorded from satellite (which is 95% of my collection).  When I try to play these, the clip sorta starts and plays maybe half a second....then starts jumping and locking (ie sometimes it jumps ahead a few seconds, plays for a second, jumps ahead a bit more, then just locks up).  Strangely, the exact same thing happens if I try to play the files in Window Media Player or Winamp....yet the clips play fine in Nero Showtime and VLC.  Still stranger yet is that the clips play fine WITHIN Media Center from the work PC.  So what is the common denominator here???  This is about the strangest, and most frustrating thing I've ever encountered....perhaps because I've invested YEARS in my audio/video collection, banking on Media Center all along, and I can't play 95% of my video content.  I've tried fixing it off and on for some time now....I mean I didn't give up since they worked on the other PC (ie there HAS to be some way, right?), but now, I've gone so far as to spend nearly $100 on a new video card for the machine (it was using onboard video before....I thought MAYBE that played a part), and here I am, $100 poorer, and it still does the exact same thing.

I'll pay....I'll name my next kid after you....you name it....someone PLEASE just help me solve this mystery so that I don't have to completely start all over again organizing my media collection :(

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: playing back video recorded from satellite??
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 05:44:53 pm »

I am guessing that the files you have recorded are MPG Transport Stream files (not Program Steam as we are used to with DVD's).  Now you can get MPG-TS files to play just fine but some Filters just hate them and you get the jumpy stuttering problem you are seeing.  Try with the Haali Media Splitter selected then test a few of the other filter selections - eg my slection includes the FFDSHOW MPEG-4 Video Decoder for some reason but they play fine....

Let us know what your files type is or even better post up an example file (say at megaupload or the like)

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

finallygreen

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 07:23:15 pm »

ok...here's a sample video (just 6mb):

http://www.evilshare.com/de1137da-d571-102a-9309-00a0c993e9d6

If you're familiar with a program called MPEG Video Wizard, it's a program that allows you to edit compressed MPEG video with frame-accuracy (ie it's fantastic for editing commercials, etc.)  This video, like all the videos I'm speaking of (the ones recorded from sat) indeed started as TS streams.  In MPEG Video Wizard, you can 'convert' TS to MPEG during the render process after you've done your editing....it's actually just pure stream copy (no re-encoding), but I believe the flags are changed in some way to better reflect conventional MPEG.

Anyways, yeah.....call'em TS or call'em MPEG....but these are indeed 'those' satellite stream captures I'm talking about. 

Oh, and....before someone says it, yes I HAVE tried playing the raw files back in MC (ie without editing them in Video Wizard), and the result is exactly the same....

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 01:39:47 am »

It plays flawlessly on my system using the "Nero Splitter" and the nVidia PureVideo filters.
JRiver CEO Elect

finallygreen

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 10:16:40 am »

It plays flawlessly on my system using the "Nero Splitter" and the nVidia PureVideo filters.

OK...so where do I get these?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 05:43:48 pm »

Nero Splitter and PureVideo decoder are commercial products that you may have to purchase from respective vendors (correct me if I am wrong, Nathan).

However you do not have to go by that route if you do not  want to. The video clip plays perfectly with the following too:

MPEG-2 Demultiplexer and MPV decoder.

The former is part of Microsoft's DirectShow, and therefore should be already on your computer. The latter can be downloaded for free. The best way to get it probably is to get it as part of CCCP package. Do a search for "CCCP" on this forum, you will get a lot of info. I particularly recommend this wiki guide by glynor.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 08:44:32 pm »

Nero Splitter and PureVideo decoder are commercial products that you may have to purchase from respective vendors (correct me if I am wrong, Nathan).

However you do not have to go by that route if you do not  want to. The video clip plays perfectly with the following too:

MPEG-2 Demultiplexer and MPV decoder.

The former is part of Microsoft's DirectShow, and therefore should be already on your computer. The latter can be downloaded for free. The best way to get it probably is to get it as part of CCCP package. Do a search for "CCCP" on this forum, you will get a lot of info. I particularly recommend this wiki guide by glynor.

Correct these are commercial products but as Yaobing pointed out their are many alternatives available and many combinations will work, the joy is just trying which ones suite your media files the "best" as they are all a compromise.  FYI the Nero Splitter will be on your system if you have Nero installed (so for most of us it is already free).  This is my prefered splitter as the MS one is terrible in demuxing anything not quite standard (eg my MPEG/DTS files).  The MPV Decoder is pretty good and if you are running Vista so is the MS ones (the nVidia is a commercial product but they do have a free 30-day trial at http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html

Now about that child's name....up to you but either Yaobing or jmone sound fine!

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up