INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Customize Current View Settings Keep Resetting  (Read 2086 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Customize Current View Settings Keep Resetting
« on: October 31, 2007, 02:19:14 pm »

My Customize Current View settings have been resetting themselves (seemingly randomly) with the latest builds.  The presets are all retained, but all the views go back to their defaults.  This is a HUGE pain.

Can I get any hints as to:

(a) Where this info is stored?  Is it in the registry now or in the library (or somewhere else)?  If it is in the library, which file is it?  I'd like all my copies of MC on my various machines using the same library to match EXACTLY.  It used to "just work" but now it seems that they are all using their own settings.

(b) What could possibly be causing them to get completely reset back to the defaults?  It really seems random.  They got reset last week at some point.  I spent HOURS this weekend fixing it, and then yesterday (after I installed the new build, but I'm not sure that's what caused it) they were all reset again!!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Customize Current View Settings Keep Resetting
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:29:25 pm »

I don't know what might cause this.  It's not something we've heard much of.

View settings like columns, sorting, etc. are stored with a library backup.  So you can always restore a backup (which MC automatically makes for you often) if there's any kind of problem.

However, presets are probably per-machine instead of per-library.

Please let us know if you can pinpoint any clues to explain this.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 02:04:56 pm »

View settings like columns, sorting, etc. are stored with a library backup.  So you can always restore a backup (which MC automatically makes for you often) if there's any kind of problem.

That's been my experience.  The presets don't travel with the library.  However... I have a further question.  You said the view settings are stored with a library backup, but not that they are actually stored in the library?  Am I just splitting hairs, or are they not actually stored in the library itself (but included with the backups via some other mechanism)?

I'm going to try to reproduce it this weekend if I have time.  Up till now it's just been randomly happening.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 02:39:38 pm »

That's been my experience.  The presets don't travel with the library.  However... I have a further question.  You said the view settings are stored with a library backup, but not that they are actually stored in the library?  Am I just splitting hairs, or are they not actually stored in the library itself (but included with the backups via some other mechanism)?

They're in the library and a library backup.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 08:10:54 pm »

Alrighty then.  And the fact that I don't necessarily have my Customize Current View presets all synchronized across all the machines doesn't have any bearing?  In other words...

Machine A, B, and C all have the same Library, with the same Customize Current View settings.

Machine A, B, and C all have DIFFERENT Customize Current View presets (and different View Layout presets).  They don't differ substantially, but since I only do library maintenance on one of them, I haven't bothered to replicate them to all of the machines exactly.  So Machine A has all of the presets I actually use, whereas Machines B and C only have a subset of them actually set up.

Are the settings stored in the library related to the presets at all, or are they completely different and unrelated?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 05:27:00 am »

The existing view layouts (accessible from the tree) are stored in the library. The saved view layouts and presets are stored in the registry. I prefer saving the complete layouts instead of the column and sorting presets separately.

One way to carry the saved layouts over to other PCs is to create a new view scheme group with each saved layout applied to a new child view scheme. If these child view schremes are used only for storing the saved layouts also in the library, they would be safe from the on the fly changes in the column layout, sorting etc.

On the other PCs it is easier to go to one of these childs and save the current view as a new saved view layout than configuring the layout from the scratch.

In general, I don't see any reason why the saved layouts and presets could not be part of the database instead of storing them in the registry.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 05:38:06 am »

The saved view layouts and presets are stored in the registry.
yep, thats what i thought.

I prefer saving the complete layouts instead of the column and sorting presets separately.
Defnitely, all in one place, untill then, you need a .reg file to save the relevant keys. I'm under the impressoin you then restore library & dbl click that on a different computer and all is ok.

Tho, glynor defnitely knows, my guess is there's a bug somewhere.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 05:47:38 am »

You guys posted while I was typing but here it is anyway

The Column Presets and Sorting Presets are stored in:-
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 12\Properties]
under "View Settings - Column Presets" and "View Settings - Sorting Presets"

But as AlexB says, you are better off to save the whole View Layout.
That will allow you to export (using regedit) the entire Registry Key :-
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 12\Properties\View Presets]
then just go to each machine on the network, double click the .reg file that you exported and you're done.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 09:16:03 am »

I know I CAN do that if I want to... The thing is, since I keep Options --> Tree & View --> Sorting --> Save Changes on list header clicks unchecked (that way no one messes up my carefully constructed sorting with an errant mouse click on the HTPC) the only place where I need to have my View presets stored is on the machine I use to do library maintenance.  I rarely (if ever) work on setting up view schemes or work on my Customize Current View settings on my HTPC or on my wife's computer, so I've never bothered to define those view presets there (or import the Reg files every time I modify them).  The presets that happen to be there on those machines is what ended up being there last time I synced the registry entries between all the machines (which was a long while ago).

What I want to know is this:

Machine A (the one where I do my library maintenance) has all the Customize Current View presets defined (regardless of where -- inside the Customize Current View or inside the View Layouts), but Machines B and C do not (they just have the MC defaults, or some random subset of what Machine A has).  I never actually use the presets in any way on Machine B and C.  When doing maintenance, I'll use them on Machine A, which is why they're defined there.

However, since my views have been seemingly randomly resetting to the defaults, what I wonder is this... If I set up a View on Machine A, save the library and make sure it's propagated to all the other machines, and then open that library up on Machine B or C (which don't have the presets) will the Views get messed up and reset to the defaults?  In other words, does the Library say "use this preset for this View" (and then if the preset isn't there it gets all messed up) or does it say "use these columns with this sorting for this view"?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 02:33:57 pm »

As far as I can see, the saved values in the registry are not called unless you manually access them through the UI. I just copied (as I always do) my main library folder and the associated thumbnail folder to my laptop and all views are exactly like they were on the other PC. These MC instances don't have the same saved view layouts or presets.

BTW, after writing my previous reply I realized that the separately saved layouts and presets are useful for transferring the favorite settings from one library to another. Some users may prefer that behavior.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 07:14:48 am »

Matt, is there ANY way this data could be stored with a library backup as well?
Pretty please?

NoBS

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 01:53:26 pm »

Sorry to hear this, transfering View Presets to a new machine would be greatly appreciated.
What's an iPod?
Do apples have worms?
Rotten to the core.
Pages: [1]   Go Up