INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: nano 2nd gen locks up after sync  (Read 1413 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
nano 2nd gen locks up after sync
« on: December 19, 2007, 12:30:13 pm »

I have had this problem for a long time but have not reported it until now.

After I sync my nano (and eject) with MC my nano almost always locks up upon playing the first file. The solution is to do a hard reset on the nano (press menu + center button for few seconds) and then everything is fine until the next time I sync with MC.

Is anyone else seeing this? Is this a problem with the nano or a problem with MC?

My nano firmware is up to date.

SwellGuy

Re: nano 2nd gen locks up after sync
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 02:35:19 pm »

This isn't being reported by anyone else so I would guess it is something specific to your device or content. If you sync an entirely different, small, safe set of files does it still lock up? (By safe, I mean, mp3's at a moderate bitrate with moderately sized artwork, with safe names, etc, etc.)

rjm

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 08:14:10 pm »

Thanks for responding.

I do not think there is anything unusual about my content. It is 8GB of 100% mp3, all with imbedded artwork. One thing that might be "unusual" is that I have some audio books that are not chapterized and therefore are large with long runtimes.

It does not seem to matter which file I play first. It locks up regardless. What I see when pressing play is a partial rendition of the artwork and then the iPod locks and is unusable until I reset. This leads me to think there may be a database or initialization problem that is corrected by the reset.

If you don't mind, I probably won't try your suggestion until the new year because I am a little busy and the reset fix is a very easy workaround.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 10:06:28 pm »

I can't think how we could cause an iPod lockup.

Updating the firmware might help.  You might also try the "Compact Database" command added to recent builds, in case the database is somehow very fragmented and slow.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rjm

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 10:20:55 pm »

I can't think how we could cause an iPod lockup.

Updating the firmware might help.  You might also try the "Compact Database" command added to recent builds, in case the database is somehow very fragmented and slow.

I confirmed my firmware is up to date. Are you suggesting I re-burn the same firmware?

I did a compact as soon as you introduced the feature. It cut my database size from 50MB to 25MB but I am still seeing the lockup.

I will have a closer look at my content. Perhaps there is a problematic file that I have not yet played but causes problems on startup...
Pages: [1]   Go Up