INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Vinyl May Be Final Nail in CD's Coffin  (Read 1291 times)

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
OT - Vinyl May Be Final Nail in CD's Coffin
« on: November 01, 2007, 03:48:31 am »

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/commentary/listeningpost/2007/10/listeningpost_1029

Couple of things i noticed

Although CDs have a wider dynamic range, mastering houses are often encouraged to compress the audio on CDs to make it as loud as possible: It's the so-called loudness war. Since the audio on vinyl can't be compressed to such extremes, records generally offer a more nuanced sound.

Another reason for vinyl's sonic superiority is that no matter how high a sampling rate is, it can never contain all of the data present in an analog groove, Nyquist's theorem to the contrary.

Will the convenience of having your music, every last bit of it, available at the touch of a remote on some large screen ever lose out to, getting up,  sorting through a shelf of vinyls, eventually selecting and playing on a deck only to repeat the same once its done ?

Dance DJs use nothing but vinyl for what must arguably be the most compressed music out there and will always want vinyl just because of the 'feel'.

The only message i'm getting here is vinyl might have better resale value than CDs, if you're lucky enough to get a copy, they can't do too many as its more expensive to duplicate than CD.

Lots of ppl say lossy isn't good enough so prefer lossless which is typically a 16bit recording, here the claim is vinyl is even better than that.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: OT - Vinyl May Be Final Nail in CD's Coffin
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 08:27:43 am »

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/commentary/listeningpost/2007/10/listeningpost_1029

Couple of things i noticed

Although CDs have a wider dynamic range, mastering houses are often encouraged to compress the audio on CDs to make it as loud as possible: It's the so-called loudness war. Since the audio on vinyl can't be compressed to such extremes, records generally offer a more nuanced sound.

How can anyone fault CD audio for the sins of the mastering houses or their overseers who encourage or demand this corruption?

If properly mastered this becomes invalid. Have a listen to i.e.: Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs recordings or Telarc Audio discs for evidence of this.
. . . the game is rigged

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 09:34:28 am »

What I'd like to see is a non-mechanical way to play the vinyl, like say a dual laser pickup reading each side of the groove (did Bang and Olfusen ever do this??). It could still stay entirely in the analog format as well, the laser doesn't have to be digital (for example, the LaserDisc video format is analog). I've bought a few new release LP's in the last couple of years and I rip the record to mp3 for portability. Having a CD is not necessary (so the coupon in the album idea sounds good to me, it'd save the time of ripping the vinyl).

Link

• World Citizen
  • Is that some kind of Eastern thing?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 12:20:31 pm »

What I'd like to see is a non-mechanical way to play the vinyl, like say a dual laser pickup reading each side of the groove (did Bang and Olfusen ever do this??). It could still stay entirely in the analog format as well, the laser doesn't have to be digital (for example, the LaserDisc video format is analog). I've bought a few new release LP's in the last couple of years and I rip the record to mp3 for portability. Having a CD is not necessary (so the coupon in the album idea sounds good to me, it'd save the time of ripping the vinyl).

This is already out there...... only sets you back about $14,000

http://www.elpj.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up