INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Generate playlist from content on iPod.  (Read 1342 times)

RFB

• Junior Woodchuck
Generate playlist from content on iPod.
« on: October 27, 2007, 08:47:31 pm »

Hello.  I have an iPod Classic and have just officially given up waiting for Apple to fix the lag bug in iTunes when the iPod is connected.  For good or bad, I will be relying solely on MC to manage music (I don't do video) on my 80GB classic.

To that end, I was wondering if there was an easy way in MC to generate a playlist of the files already on the iPod.  This way, when Apple inevitably mucks about with the database structure or something else that would result in me having to reinitialize the player I can just resync the subset of my music collection (via the playlist) that I want on there.

Automatic syncing doesn't work for me, as my collection is 115GB.  And I really don't want to deal with smartlists or rating songs or any of that stuff.

TIA,
Rick

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Generate playlist from content on iPod.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 08:10:14 am »

Smartlists are the way to do this. Recently, MC has been updated with a very easy to use wizard to create Smartlists.

You could create different Smartlists based on any criteria such as Genre, Beats Per Minute, and Ratings (I realize you haven't rated your music...).

I have several Smartlists that I've created for my iPod and I use them to sync, thus allowing me to have only tracks that fit my requirements. It comes out to about 29 GB on the iPod from the 400 GB on my PC.

Don't forget to enable Handheld caching so you only need to transcode the songs once. In my case, the first time I sync'd my iPod, it took 8 hours as MC was transcoding all my songs that were over 192 Kbs to 192. The second time I sync'd, it took minutes as MC only had to transcode the new songs I had added to the database.

...Michel.

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 08:15:48 am »

Oh... And bTW, you can rate your music on your iPod and the rating will be transfered back to MC's database the next time you sync. This may help you to start rating your music. A large collection will take time, but let me tell you that it's REALLY worth it. I can play Smartlist during dinner parties and such and people can't believe that the music that the computer is picking is always just perfect for the occasion.

But I digress... ;-)

...Michel.

RFB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 05:47:11 pm »

Thanks for your reply Michel, it was very helpful.  I guess I will start looking at that smarlist wizard.  Thanks.

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up