INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AC3 checkbox question  (Read 1807 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
AC3 checkbox question
« on: November 02, 2007, 06:46:33 pm »

What does the "AC3" checkbox do on the channel "Modify" screen? I have a requirement to disable AC3 passthu for a specific HD channel (in preference for just PCM) so I thought this checkbox oughta do it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have any effect. I'm still getting the AC3 stream.

Thanks.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: AC3 checkbox question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 07:12:55 pm »

DVB-T channels can broadcast audio in AC3 or MPEG-2 audio format. MC needs to know what it is in order to set it up properly. It is automatically detected during scanning. But if you add or modify a channel, you can manually set it by checking or unchecking the  box.

It has nothing to do with AC3 passthrough.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 07:38:14 pm »

Sorry. Yes, this is what I meant. So if I disable the checkbox, I should get the MPEG-2 audio format right? I get AC3 regardless of this setting.

EDIT: After restarting MC, now I get no audio for this channel. Reselected the checkbox and I'm back to AC3. Looks like AC3 is my only choice?

Thanks
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 09:55:47 am »

Sorry. Yes, this is what I meant. So if I disable the checkbox, I should get the MPEG-2 audio format right? I get AC3 regardless of this setting.
No, it is just an indication of what the actual stream is - whatever the TV station sends you.

EDIT: After restarting MC, now I get no audio for this channel. Reselected the checkbox and I'm back to AC3. Looks like AC3 is my only choice?

If you uncheck it when it should be checked, you lose audio. The checkbox is not for you to change the stream. It is just used for you to tell MC what kind of audio stream the station uses - assuming you know it. You can not change what the TV station broadcasts.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up