INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sort and smartlists  (Read 880 times)

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
sort and smartlists
« on: November 12, 2007, 06:21:23 pm »

at this moment when looking at a smartlist, when you choose sort (right click in the header) it deletes all the sorting and add the new sort. when you try that for instance on the standard lists like top hits or recently played. the lists are 'destroyed'.
this is becuase some of the sorting in the original smartlist is done before the list is limited. when this is deleted it is not only changing the sorting but changing what the list does.
try for instance the recently played list. and choose sort date played (it is already marked). see how many files change and look for the files you played recently.
now the standard smartlists are easy to restore.

i think this is not what it is intended to do.

thanks
gab

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: sort and smartlists
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 09:58:54 pm »

Sorting is now part of the smartlist instead of the view settings.  This was done so that there aren't two layers of sorting.  Previously with two ways to sort, it was confusing and lead to cases where only one of the two layers was applied.

However, this new system is a problem for a smartlist that orders then crops like Top Hits. 

Do you have any suggestions for how we might solve this?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gappie

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 01:24:24 am »

i think the sorting should only look to the tail of the smartlist string. is the last command sort, then it should replace it. is the last command something else it should add the sort command.
now, ofcourse i dont know how difficult this is to accomplish

just a thought.   :)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 03:00:50 am »

I've had a look at this to see why it's not been an issue for me at all since its introduction and here are my conclusions...

# Generally, I set my smartlists to sort the way I want them and always include the needed sorting rules myself.
# If I need to make a permanent change to the sort order, I can either change the sorting rules in "Customise current view" or manually edit the smartlist rule, the results are the same.
# If I want to change the sort order on any given list temporarily, I can use list header clicks because I've set MC to not save those. I can't remember if that's still the default setting, but if it's not, I'm of the firm opinion that it should be.
# My smartlist views are 99% the 'pane + list' variety, the thumbnail ones I do have are sorted the way they are for a reason and I would never need to change that order, temporarily or otherwise.
# This means that I never use the "Sort" menu in the list header when viewing smartlists, but my investigations have shown me that if I wanted to make a temporary change to the sort order for a smartlist in thumbnail view then the easiest option is to use the sort menu in the header, but I would then need to remember to either edit the smartlist or customise the view to reset the sorting.

Is it not possible to have the sort options in the view header adhere to the "save clicks on list headers" rule set in options? or would this have other implications I've not thought about yet?

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up