INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Controlling MJ8  (Read 1704 times)

carputer

Controlling MJ8
« on: August 13, 2002, 07:39:25 pm »

OK to get this out in the open first, I tried to search the forums to no avail.
I have recently completed a carputer in my 71 VW beetle. 533Mhz, 40G HD, 128 RAM and a 5.6" LCD mounted in center console. I am truly enjoying MJ, now my question...
Is their any type of plugins in development for single key commands. My first approach to existing siftware i.eWINAMP was to hack a keyboard and map out keys and use the controller to make a custom KB for basic controls and macros PLAY.NEXT.PREV etc...

I truly want to use MJ8 and it looks wonderful on the LCD running plaintext visual. with a few minor adjustments.

If anyone is interested in carputers check out www.mp3car.com and I will try to post a few images of MJ8 running in car

Thanks in advance and thanks for the great software

carputer

RE:Controlling MJ8
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2002, 03:47:23 pm »

Bumping once to see if anyone has suggestions

FORUM ETHICS NOTE only bump once, after that give up

...if at first you dont succeed, burn all evidence and try again

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2002, 07:15:42 pm »

Feel free to keep bumping.  This is an interesting use of MJ.

dragyn has some experience with this.  Maybe he'll answer.  He had a touch screen and he had a small keyboard sewn into his visor.

If you can program, you can control MJ by using the Interface SDK on our developer's page.

Someone else just asked for a plugin for the serial port.  This might also work for you.  The thread is only a few days old.

Sorry not to be able to help more.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

cjdshaw

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2002, 04:46:10 am »

I suggest you use Girder ( http://www.girder.nl ). It supports a wide range of input devices so you might find a mini-keyboard you could use. If you do make your own, you can still use Girder to map the keystrokes it sends into ones MJ understands.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2002, 04:52:46 am »

OK if you go to AVSForum and search for the HTPiC you will find a device designed from the ground up for this purpose.. If they get the prototype made to a kit I dont know...

If you want something right now.. Search on MAME cabinet controllers or interfaces... People who build MAME cabinets (one day I am doing this... I love MAME and retrogaming) needed a way of getting buttons mapped to keyboard inputs so they have come up with small IC kits that do this and would be fine for your purpose...

Of course you could hack a serial button pad and create something with Girders serial plug in for cature of the event...

However you do it for PC command and control (automating from few buttons etc) Girder is your friend...

Of course as you have built a system like this why not run Glissando for the eye candy appeal and use a touchpad built into the console for mouse like use...

I was going to give this kind of system a go as I have an alpine head unit with the fold out screen and it has spare video inputs... I have a libretto 110 doing nothing much and it would have been a pretty easy install for the HW just getting the control lines and touchpad stuff built in... As it was the car was too precious and rare to start building it into the centre console and creating holes etc...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

MonkeyK

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2002, 08:36:52 am »

Couldn't you just use a trackball?

JimH

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2002, 10:26:12 am »

Here's the thread I mentioned above (controlling MJ from a serial port): http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=12990
Jim Hillegass

carputer

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2002, 12:56:32 pm »

thanks for all the input. Prestently i am using a wireless mini keyboard/mouse. And buiding a programmer to program PIC to make a UIR, then girder will be the next step.

http://www.veedubya.com/mj8.gif A look at the LCD in console. Took some time to find a way to have any LCD in a 71 VW Beetle

http://www.veedubya.com/mj8.gifA closer look at MJ running Plain text with visual. added

I will keep all posted Because with all the intergration of Audio.Video including TV and DVD this could easily be the software for many car-puters owners, And theres more than you would imagine

carputer

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2002, 05:57:54 pm »

Seen today while i visited forum Glissando 0.5a
very nice indeed, IF it would show videos playing as an option in the display window

Kudos on Glissando

Jafo

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2002, 07:24:28 pm »

I have been wanting to do this very thing to my S-10.  I've playing with MJ8.0 for the past few weeks and realized this is the perfect software for it.  And I am glad (and surprised) this thread is here.

Kudos to JRiver for a fine product.

JimH

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2002, 05:37:03 am »

Here are some pictures from last summer when dragyn drove his Pontiac to Minneapolis so we could see his installation of Media Jukebox.

http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/dragyn/index.htm

dragyn is the guy in the working man's tuxedo in the first picture.

In 555, the three people are Matt, Nikolay, and Johnt.
In 585, the person in the foreground is Steve who does the portable device work here.
I'm the guy standing behind the camera.
Jim Hillegass

JGourd

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2002, 07:14:28 am »

Try the X-Keys switch interface. I am using it with a custom keyboard I made just to control MJ8.

Cephlen

• Junior Woodchuck
  • someday I will find a pic that looks good...
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2002, 09:28:12 am »

Sounds like you need my serial interface plugin.

Get some diodes, a few switches, and you can have some quick easy access to the jukebox's features.
All ICQ's are ignored unless I have added you.

carputer

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2002, 03:26:54 pm »

Again thanks for the images and input. It is fueling my brain cells with great ideas.

Re: Serial Plugin? I seen it listed in  the plugin section and installed BUT i do not see it listed in the plugin manager. Also is there a site regarding wiring up buttons.DUH Found it

Re: X Keys? I cant seem to search the forums for anything. Any direction would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

dragyn

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2002, 06:53:01 pm »

I've just been using a touchpad recently. Seems to work fine for me. I also have a X10 remote but haven't played with that too much. I've been kinda lazy lately.
Pages: [1]   Go Up