INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fullscreen Display more user defined control  (Read 2563 times)

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
Fullscreen Display more user defined control
« on: November 19, 2007, 04:17:09 pm »

I find a problem when viewing images in Fullscreen Display. If I move an image with the arrows of the main toolbar, the main toolbar takes far to long to hide again. What's worse is that often I activate the main toolbar by accidentally moving the mouse too close to the top, then again having to wait for it to disappear.
I saw it mentioned before in the forum. Couldn't it be possible to allow the user to define how long the toolbar takes to disappear, and how sentitive the toolbar should be to re-appearing when the mouse is near the top of the screen?

A similar idea comes to mind when thinking of how the settings work for "Stardock Objectdock's" toolbar. They allow various setting to how the user would like the toolbar to react.

PS. I'm really enjoying my newly purchased Media Center 12.
Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Fullscreen Display more user defined control
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:46:12 pm »

I find a problem when viewing images in Fullscreen Display. If I move an image with the arrows of the main toolbar, the main toolbar takes far to long to hide again. What's worse is that often I activate the main toolbar by accidentally moving the mouse too close to the top, then again having to wait for it to disappear.
I saw it mentioned before in the forum. Couldn't it be possible to allow the user to define how long the toolbar takes to disappear, and how sentitive the toolbar should be to re-appearing when the mouse is near the top of the screen?

A similar idea comes to mind when thinking of how the settings work for "Stardock Objectdock's" toolbar. They allow various setting to how the user would like the toolbar to react.

PS. I'm really enjoying my newly purchased Media Center 12.
Thanks

This isn't an exact answer, but you might try a few keyboard shortcuts.

For example, Page Up / Page Down will switch images.  Spacebar will toggle the slideshow.  The right-click menu during image playback lists the shortcuts for the other commands as well.

If you hold Shift+Page Up/Page Down you'll switch images while preserving zoom and scroll.  This is slick for checking focus of burst shots.

Also, make sure you try the mouse-wheel for zooming during image viewing.

Cheers.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 07:28:21 pm »

Cool. I thought I was the only one who wanted this behaviour of the toolbar (during video playback) to be more like MediaPlayerClassic; the bar appears and disappears very quickly once the cursor is removed from the vicinity.

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 10:41:46 pm »

Hey Matt
For example, Page Up / Page Down will switch images.  Spacebar will toggle the slideshow.  The right-click menu during image playback lists the shortcuts for the other commands as well.

If you hold Shift+Page Up/Page Down you'll switch images while preserving zoom and scroll.  This is slick for checking focus of burst shots.

The only problem there again is, is that I don't like using the keyboard. I work on my pc mostly with my tablet & pen & mouse.

Couldn't this be a feature easily added?
I'm just hoping.
And especially when I'm not "working", I do  like to just lazily 8) sit back and enjoy browsing through Media Center, just by using my mouse with the one hand instead of having to interact with the keyboard.

And thanks for your support Fitbrit.

RacheRock

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 10:22:40 am »

Hello all

I'm sure I'm the one that previously mentioned this problem.

It's a real pain for me, as I too am a "lazy" MC user. ;)
I use only my mouse I'm sure about 80% of the time, and all the time "activate" that top toolbar unintentionally, and then have to practise pations  >:( until it goes away.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 10:59:34 am »

Yea. It's a pain that it appears so easily, and that it takes forever to go away to full screen image only.
It's also an quite irritating fact that the image shrinks during the appearance of the player bar!

There should be some kind of opacity options if you ask me. Something similar to the new quick time players would be awsome.
It's just gorgeous.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 11:45:08 am »

Yea. It's a pain that it appears so easily, and that it takes forever to go away to full screen image only.
It's also an quite irritating fact that the image shrinks during the appearance of the player bar!

I just thought I'd comment...

I like it the way it is.  I'd much rather have the image shrink than "miss" some of the image while the menu bar is showing.  However, because the image does shrink, I'd prefer that the menu have the delay (as it does) before disappearing.  Otherwise, when my mouse slides off of the menu bar for a second accidentally, it would be constantly appearing and disappearing when just trying to use some control or another.

So... I suppose this is a personal preference type of situation, and I agree that some options are warranted.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 01:01:45 pm »

It's a personal preference, yes.

I agree that some, if not many, would want to have the image shrunk in order to see the whole thing. But I belive the best way of doing that is to be able to make the menu bar transparent. An option to enable or disable shrinking of the image could also be added.
When it comes to the time delay before the menu bar dissappears, I agree too. To a certain degree. It can't go away the second you move away from the menu, but there could be reduction in the time. It's set at 5 seconds now? I think it takes forever.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 02:43:06 pm »

It's a personal preference, yes.

I agree that some, if not many, would want to have the image shrunk in order to see the whole thing. But I belive the best way of doing that is to be able to make the menu bar transparent. An option to enable or disable shrinking of the image could also be added.
When it comes to the time delay before the menu bar dissappears, I agree too. To a certain degree. It can't go away the second you move away from the menu, but there could be reduction in the time. It's set at 5 seconds now? I think it takes forever.

It's 10 seconds if the mouse is in the borders and 3.5 seconds if the mouse is outside the borders.

We'll switch the 3.5 seconds to 0.5 seconds for the next build.  You're up to bat if people riot.

As for transparency, it's messy because MC supports so many kinds of displays in that area (DirectX, OpenGL, GDI, Windows controls, etc).  Windows support of layered Windows is a kludge -- it won't work with VNC, with OpenGL windows, etc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 02:46:11 pm »

We'll switch the 3.5 seconds to 0.5 seconds for the next build.  You're up to bat if people riot.

I think I'm gonna probably riot, because half-a-second seems like it'll be way too twitchy.  We'll see.   ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 04:06:24 pm »

That's great. Might be a bit to quick, but let's try it out.
You're never gonna get far if you're not willing to take a few risks :)

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 12:32:52 am »

For me, I think the 0.5 would work perfect  ;D ... but wouldn't it just be easier and make every one happy if the user was able to set the amount of time themselves?

When it comes to keeping it fullscreen or having it shrink, I guess that too would be nice for the user to choose. However, if the time can be about 0.5, I'm not sure if it really makes a difference if the image shrinks for that time or not.

I have also had another thought.
For images in fullscreen, I don't really think it's necessary to have the same LARGE toolbar as for when it playing music.
This way MC won't need a toolbar that disappears and re-appears.
I've made a mockup snapshot of what it could look like below.
The fullscreen display toolbar can also be customisable with shortcuts, similar to Music Centers Main window toolbar, where shortcuts like "next, previous, rotate, etc." , can be added like the user may want.

Fullscreen Display with Custom Toolbar and not so large

RacheRock

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 10:25:41 am »

I really like the short cut idea...
The fullscreen display toolbar can also be customisable with shortcuts, similar to Music Centers Main window toolbar, where shortcuts like "next, previous, rotate, etc." , can be added like the user may want.

I'm really hoping for the "personl preferences" for the Fullscreen display, but in the meantime am looking forward to the next build for the 0.5 time change  :)

This might be a nother topic, but is there any possibilty for the Tree-View-Pane to have an auto hide/show capabilty, similar to the fullscreen toolbar?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 03:44:30 pm »

It's 10 seconds if the mouse is in the borders and 3.5 seconds if the mouse is outside the borders.

Thanks! That's good news. For video playback at least, a lot of movies are in 2.21:1 ratio, so just having the toolbar appear without shrinking the image is just fine. A different matter for 4:3 or true 16:9 material, of course. Now if we could choose to shrink or not, depending on source aspect ratio, that would be  ;D ;D ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up