INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Troubles with "semicolon delimited list" fields  (Read 1165 times)

HansWei

• Recent member
Troubles with "semicolon delimited list" fields
« on: November 26, 2007, 12:21:04 am »

Hello all!
It seems that I have stumbled over something strange:

a) created new "lists" field as follows:
    Data Type: List (semicolon delimited)
    Edit Type:  Standard
    Values:      a;b;c

b) If i try to edit this field, the list with the predefined values pops up, if i select just one value everything is fine BUT:
c) If I select more than one value (like a and b, the list on top of the input field correctly say "a; b" but if i press enter, the field is left blank  ?

To my understanding the values configured in the "configure library field" section are the predefined ones, but is it not possible to choose more than one in this way?

In reality of this simplified example i have been looking for a solution for subtitle languages.
I thought i put all thinkable languages in the predefind list, and than according to the movie (mkv) i select e.g. english, dutch, german for a certain movie, so i need (depending on the movie) to choose MORE than one entry.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

By the way:
Tested on Win XP, MC 12.0.375

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Troubles with "semicolon delimited list" fields
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 05:01:09 am »

You can do this, but there's no need to preassign values for your list... just add them to the files as you get new languages. You can assign multiple languages this way and files will appear under A, B or both A&B.

HansWei

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 06:56:03 am »

Thanks for your reply and you're right, that is a way how it is working.
The point is just it's not that convenient, as with new files you are not presented by the predefined choice.

And I assume, as pop-up,selection and even the entry on top if the list is correct, so the only thing which isnt working is-
When you press ENTER to finalize the entry the values are not correctly written into the field itself - so i assume i have stumbled across a small bug.
What do you think?

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 07:36:04 pm »

You might be right, but in all honesty I've never really used predefined values as I find they can be quite limiting...

Say you come across a file which is in a language you didn't consider when you set the predefined values? Then you have to go back to the field options and set it... Isn't it far easier to just click on the language field in the Tag Editor and click "Add New Tag" and you're done?

The point is just it's not that convenient, as with new files you are not presented by the predefined choice.
Not true. The values in your list will always display languages you have files for... so you will start off with no values in your list, but as you tag files it will expand, so you will always have your list of languages... and this is less work than adding in predefined values one by one in the Field menu.

HansWei

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 03:02:12 am »

To make it short: you convinced me  ;D
You are right, the point was I didn't know that with new files you are presented with the "growing" list, so mistyping and all that stuff can be avoided. I was playing around with it yesterday evening, and together with your input i changed my workflow.
Again I agree, so adding new values "on the fly" makes more sense as predefining them, beeing forced alwas to go back to field-definition.

Overall - Thank you for your time and input - highly appreciated!

P.S.: And some more flowers go to the development team and the way how the listen to input coming from this forum. This is really OUTSTANDING! - Thank you, thank you, thank you....
Pages: [1]   Go Up