INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please Help! where are my playlists?  (Read 1534 times)

Charlie

Please Help! where are my playlists?
« on: November 23, 2007, 02:57:27 pm »

Hi, I am a long time user of media jukebox. I love it. I was going to recomend it to a friend today and thought I would check for updates and just clicked yes and got media center for a trial. But where are all my playlists??? The library is missing, why didn't media center automatically import my media jukebox library.? Please Please help. Untold hours were spent creating those playlist from 70,000 songs!
I did a quick glance around help and faq, will keep looking but have a party today and need my playlists!
Thanks, Charlie

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Please Help! where are my playlists?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 03:25:15 pm »

Unfortunately MC12 does not import an old Media Jukebox library automatically. You have to do it manually.

First make sure that you got the latest MC12 build. Currently it is 12.0.375. (The Media jukebox 8 library importer was added back to MC12 only a few builds ago).

You can get the 12.0.375 build from this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43549.0

If you have a Media jukebox 8 library backup zip file you can use the restore feature in MC12.
(File > Library > Restore Library)

If you don't have a backup file you can open an MJ8 library directly. Find where your Media Jukebox 8 library data files are. The library files have a .jmd filename extension. The default location is usually C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\Data\   (You may want to make a backup copy of the folder now.)

Inside MC12 use the Library Manager tool for creating a new library in the MJ8 library location.
(File > Library > Library Manager...)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 04:44:44 pm »

Thankyou for your help. I updated to the lastest build of mc, I don't have a recent zip backup of mj.
The library mangager does not see the mj folder that has the .jmd file extensions (that is there when I view it through, my computer/ C etc...) when I go to add a library.
It only sees the cache and media center 12 folders in  the j river folder.
All I care about is the playlists, I see a playlistx.jmd file next to mediafile.jmd is there a way to get that info? or can I just go back to media jukebox?
although I would like to give mc12 if I can get it to see my playlists.

I guess I must be missing a step to get mc12 to see the .jmd file.
Thanks again, Charlie

Charlie

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 07:37:46 pm »

I got MC to open the mj 8 library by opening it manually and choosing mc12 to open it. However, the playlists are still not there!!!!
I want my playlists back.
How can I go back to Media jukebox, it worked so well for me.

I have played around with media center now and really like it and would love to use it, if it can bring back my playlists!!! Playlists  are the heart of a large music collection and where so much time as been spent managing 70,000 plus songs.

Hard to believe hitting a check for update button would result in me not being able to access all my playlists which I really have spent countless hours on creating.
Please, please, help.

I know they are in there in those .jmd files you pointed me to I just cannot open them, on my main computer or even another computer that has a copy of mj 8 that I transfered the .jmd files to. It had a message of "not a valid license" or something.
Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 09:13:13 am »

How can I go back to Media jukebox, it worked so well for me.

It should work as follows:
1) Uninstall MC12 (using its uninstaller)
2) Reinstall MJ8. Make sure that you have the original files & folders from MJ8 in the Media Jukebox's "data" folder. The files MC12 has converted are not compatible.

I have played around with media center now and really like it and would love to use it, if it can bring back my playlists!!! Playlists  are the heart of a large music collection and where so much time as been spent managing 70,000 plus songs.

This would be easier if you had created a library backup file with MJ8. When I used MJ8 I did new backups all the time - usually after any bigger change or addition. (I still do that with Media Center)

Hard to believe hitting a check for update button would result in me not being able to access all my playlists which I really have spent countless hours on creating.

An automatic conversion feature would be nice to have. However, I think we can work this out.

... I know they are in there in those .jmd files you pointed me to I just cannot open them, on my main computer ...
... I see a playlistx.jmd file next to mediafile.jmd is there a way to get that info? ...

Maybe you didn't find the correct way to use the Library Manager. I have recently tested it and I didn't have problems with creating a new library that points to an old MJ8 library location. The library files, view schemes, custom fields and all playlists were correctly adopted.

However, here's another way to import MJ8 library data to MC12.

Find MC12's default library location. Usually it is in C:\Documents and settings\[your user name]\Application data\J River\Media Center 12\Library\. (By default this path is partially hidden so you may need to change the Windows Explorer settings to show hidden files and folders.)

This folder contains a lot of .jmd files. Close MC12 and delete all files and possible subfolders from this location. After that copy the MJ8 library files to this emptied MC12 library folder.

Next time you start MC12 it should automatically convert and adopt your MJ8 library and almost everything you had in MJ8 should be in MC12 too. (Possibly MJ8 can have some library data that cannot be converted to the MC12 format, but for example playlists should be available just fine.)

... or even another computer that has a copy of mj 8 that I transfered the .jmd files to. It had a message of "not a valid license" or something.

I guess you have not restored your license on that PC. Without it MJ8 works in the reduced mode. If I recall correctly media library one of the "plus features" that work only in the registered mode.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 09:35:36 am »

Maybe you didn't find the correct way to use the Library Manager. I have recently tested it and I didn't have problems with creating a new library that points to an old MJ8 library location. The library files, view schemes, custom fields and all playlists were correctly adopted.

Charlie what steps did you take while in the library manager?

It should have went something like this:

Library Manager (MC12) > Add

Name > Name the library whatever you want "MJ 8" comes to mind  ;D

Location > "Browse" to the folder that holds all (we're not looking for a single specific file here) of your MJ8 library files

>OK

Now select (highlight) the name of the library you just created

>LOAD

Charlie

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 01:43:39 pm »

Hi all,
 Thankyou so much for your help! It turns out that due to my rushing yesterday I was looking in the wrong j river folder when looking for  the mj8 data!
 It took a long time to convert all the info, but I am back up and running now. I will now upgrade to mc  as a thankyou for all our help. I have about 10 friends with who we all rip our cds (100-600) with best lame setting and we pass around a large external drive and share our library.  Most use mj 8 and we are adding two more people and I will make sure they use your program. I try wmc and itunes every once in awhile but neither has the ease of use of mj with large libraries.
Aloha, Charlie

Pages: [1]   Go Up