INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic or Schedule Import into Media Library  (Read 1186 times)

Pete

• Recent member
Automatic or Schedule Import into Media Library
« on: August 13, 2002, 05:43:45 am »

Hi All:

New to MJ. I'm on the 30-day trial period. Looked for this info in the forums but couldn't find anything.

I usually use a P-2-P file sharing program (like Kazaa) to download MP3s. They download directly into Shared Music folder in XP - the same folder I scan and import into the Media Library. I know if I go into the Shared Music folder, find my recently downloaded MP3 file and play it, it will automatically import into Media Library. (If I play it directly from Kazaa, it will not.) Obviously, if I download from Kazaa and want to play it from MJ, I have to go to Tools/Import Media and manually do it. The import is very fast on my system, but is still an inconvenience.

Is there a way for MJ to automatically import into the Media Library any MP3s that are downloaded into the Shared Music folder? Or schedule a scan of that directory every few minutes and import new downloads? I know Real Jukebox would do this.

Thanks for any help. Really enjoying MJ8.

Pete

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
RE:Automatic or Schedule Import into Media Library
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2002, 01:38:14 pm »

I use LimeWire. If I launch from LW it will show up in MJ's Playing Now list. When that happens, it has been imported and is in the database. You can probably turn off Kazaa's internal player at which point it will play thru MJ instead.

Xenno

Pete

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2002, 10:16:13 am »

That's great that Lime Wire handles it that way. It's a step in the right direction and better than what I have currently with Kazaa. However, it still doesn't address the issue where I might download several MP3s in Kazaa (or LW) simultaneously with no intention to play them right away, just to populate my Media Library.

The issue here is that I may download several MP3s and go away fro a couple days and totally forget I have MP3s I downloaded into Shared Music and therefore forget to import them. It's not the biggest deal becasue I will eventually do a manual import. But seems like there would be a way to have MJ do it for me automatically without having to play each one first.

Has anyone here configured Kazaa to launch MJ instead of playing through its internal player? I don't think it can be done.

Thanks.

Pete

Alan

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 10:53:05 am »

bump

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 11:56:26 am »

There's no automatic importing yet, but directory monitoring is something we may add in a future version.

And you can always right-click in Explorer for a quick import of a folder.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alan

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2002, 11:10:02 am »

I figured out a workaround, in case anyone cares. Download a program called Log Monitor (http://download.com.com/3000-2248-10132475.html) and set it up to monitor your incoming music directory. When any new music is downloaded or ripped to this directory (or subdirectory) you can have it run mjextman.exe to import the new file(s). See http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/DevZone/CommandLine.html for info on the SilentImport command.
Pages: [1]   Go Up