INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging song title & Cover Art Location issue  (Read 2002 times)

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
Tagging song title & Cover Art Location issue
« on: November 30, 2007, 03:28:05 am »

Hi

Is there away to change the tags songs title based on the name of the actual files name?
I'm sure there must be, but I can't work it out.
Or do I have to do it manually?

I tried undating it from web info, but no luck.
The example I'm having trouble with at present is "Simon & Garfunke". Screenshots below...

Thanks
Cosmic

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging song title from file name...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 03:34:02 am »

Morning cosmic, you're very close...

choose the "Fill Properties From Filename" tool, untick directories, and in the filename field, type [] - [name]

Job done.

-marko.

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 03:50:22 am »

Hi there Marko

Maybe not close enuff though. I'd did what you said, but I can't see a change.

Shcreenshot...

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 04:18:57 am »

Your screenshot still shows 'Rename Files From Properties'
rather than 'Fill Properties from Filename'

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 04:40:37 am »

Sorry. Wasn't concentrating enough i guess.

But as a matter of interest, the [] - [name] you told me to put in didn't work , nothing changed ... but when I just used [name], then it did work ... ? Any idea?

Thanks Marko
Cosmic

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 05:17:51 am »

Marko , there's another question, and I didn't want to start a whole new post for just this ...

In MC Options>File Location>Cover Art, I selected "In the same folder as the file...
But how do I update all the other Music folders, previous to me selecting this setting , so that all those previous would also have their "Cover Art Image" placed in their folders with the files.

Thanks
Cosmic

Screenshot...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 05:40:31 am »

But as a matter of interest, the [] - [name] you told me to put in didn't work , nothing changed ... but when I just used [name], then it did work ... ? Any idea?

Did the filename have the same structure as in your first screenshot? The templete system should work as follows:

[] is a placeholder for "null output". It can be used for ignoring parts of the filename string.

For example, if the fileneme is 16 - Boxer.mp3
Code: [Select]
[] - [Name]    changes the Name field value to Boxer

[Track #] - [Name]    changes the Track # field value to 16 and the Name field value to Boxer

[Name]    changes the Name field value to 16 - Boxer

Here is an example of a filename that contains more info:
Filename: 16. Simon & Garfunkel - The Concert in Central Park (1982) - Boxer.mp3
Templete:
[Track #]. [Artist] - [Album] ([Date]) - [Name]
In case you want to ignore the artist and year strings you can use:
[Track #]. [] - [Album] ([]) - [Name]
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 06:08:51 am »

Marko , there's another question, and I didn't want to start a whole new post for just this ...

In MC Options>File Location>Cover Art, I selected "In the same folder as the file...
But how do I update all the other Music folders, previous to me selecting this setting , so that all those previous would also have their "Cover Art Image" placed in their folders with the files.

Mc doesn't have a direct function for moving the linked cover art files. The most straightforward method is to move the cover art files outside MC and in MC do the following:
1.  Cover Art > Remove...
2.  Cover Art > Quick Find...

EDIT

However, if the Image File field value is "Inside File" then MC doesn't have a linked location in the database and you don't need to do anything inside MC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 06:15:09 am »

Did the filename have the same structure as in your first screenshot? The templete system should work as follows:

[] is a placeholder for "null output". It can be used for ignoring parts of the filename string.

For example, if the fileneme is 16 - Boxer.mp3
[] - [Name]    changes the Name field value to Boxer

[Track #] - [Name]    changes the Track # field value to 16 and the Name field value to Boxer

[Name]    changes the Name field value to 16 - Boxer

Here is an example of a filename that contains more info:
Filename: 16. Simon & Garfunkel - The Concert in Central Park (1982) - Boxer.mp3
Templete:
[Track #]. [Artist] - [Album] ([Date]) - [Name]
In case you want to ignore the artist and year strings you can use:
[Track #]. [] - [Album] ([]) - [Name]

Thanks for al the explanations, Alex. It is much clearer to me, and it's good to start understaning what all this means.
For some reason ( I have no idea) it didn't work the first time, but it does now, and just like you said.

While I've hopefully got you here, might you or any one else have an answer for my other question ...

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 06:21:39 am »

Mc doesn't have a direct function for moving the linked cover art files. The most straightforward method is to move the cover art files outside MC and in MC do the following:
1.  Cover Art > Remove...
2.  Cover Art > Quick Find...

EDIT

However, if the Image File field value is "Inside File" then MC doesn't have a linked location in the database and you don't need to do anything inside MC.

Thanks again Alex, sorry , Imissed this post.

But does anyone else think it would be a nice feature to be able to"copy" the linked image in file at0umatically to the folder where the file is, when a user selects by choice to have "cover art Image" placed in their folders with the files, espicailly if a person has Many that need doing?

Thanks
Cosmic

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 06:27:17 am »

But does anyone else think it would be a nice feature to be able to"copy" the linked image in file at0umatically to the folder where the file is, when a user selects by choice to have "cover art Image" placed in their folders with the files, espicailly if a person has Many that need doing?

It would be nice.

For now, it is possible import the cover art image files to the database and use MC for handling them like any regular image files. I have explained my system a few times. If you are interested you may want check the links in this post: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=42646.msg290527#msg290527

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 06:46:05 am »

Thanks Alex...But sheeesh! now there's alot of links to topics... alot of reading ... I'll have to get back to you... :o

Cosmic
Pages: [1]   Go Up