INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnails won't build (MC & DIVX problem)  (Read 1050 times)

JONCAT

Thumbnails won't build (MC & DIVX problem)
« on: July 30, 2007, 01:22:27 pm »

I had a problem with the recent build (.294) so I uninstalled ffdshow_beta3_070107.exe and this allowed MC to build thumbs again.

However, there are still a number of video thumbs that refuse to build.

I used G-Spot to analyze all the videos without thumbs....the common thread is DivX; specifically DIV3 (I also found a DIV5.5). With ffdshow uninstalled they would play with no video, just audio.

I now have ffdshow installed and they play okay, but MC still can't make a thumb;
the new DIVXpack is installed and I can use FFDSHOW or the DIVX codec itself.

MC still won't build thumbs for these AVIs

any ideas?

DC

fwhoch

• Recent member
Re: Thumbnails won't build (MC & DIVX problem)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 10:37:04 pm »

Im having the exact same problem, i unistalled ffdshow and reinstalled and it didnt work either.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:25:21 am »

You generally shouldn't ever install the old DivX 3 codec, as it is known to cause all sorts of problems.  FFDSHOW can decode anything old you have lying around that was encoded with the old DivX 3 codec.

To be clear, libavcodec (the core codec of FFDSHOW) is a general purpose MPEG-4 decoder.  It handles (among others):

DivX (all versions)
XviD (all versions)
3ivx (all versions)
Nero Digital ASP (old version)
Nero Digital AVC (new version)
Apple's MPEG-4 ASP (old version)
Apple's h264 (which is MPEG-4 AVC in a MOV wrapper)
x264
WMV (most versions)
theora
snow
VP6 (the flash codec used by YouTube)
and many, many more...

For any of these codecs, you don't need to install the individual codecs themselves if you have FFDSHOW.  You only want/need the "real" codecs if you want to use those codecs to CREATE videos (and then you generally only want the newest versions installed).  Obviously, if you uninstall FFDSHOW it will break playback of the video on your files because it is handling the playback!

Many "old" versions of codecs are well known to cause playback problems, especially the old hacked DivX codecs.  You really don't ever want these installed.  It annoys me to no end that people continue to include these in many of the stupid "codec packs" out there.  If you have FFDSHOW, it should handle the decoding of the vast majority of the formats you encounter.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JONCAT

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 09:17:25 am »

Thanks Glynor.....as you know I'm starting to get into the Direct Show Wiki...I highly recommended reading everyone..

DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up