INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Req: New Field: "Engine", with "directx", "wm" or "internal"?  (Read 1019 times)

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Req: New Field: "Engine", with "directx", "wm" or "internal"?
« on: November 28, 2007, 07:21:41 pm »

Hi Jim and all,

Now that I've got DTS-CD, DTS, AC3 and DVDA->WMA5.1 music all playing well via analogue in MC12, I'd like to propose a new system field in which the user can flag a file to play either through the internal engine, the video engine with DirectX, or the video engine with WM.  I'm getting around this by turning on the WM engine for video, flagging files as Media type Audio, and then File type avi (for DTS-CD, DTS and AC3) or wmv (for WMA5.1).  It works, but it's a bit kludgy...being able to keep the file type what it should be, but change a dedicated field to pick which engine to use, seems more straightforward.  What do you think?

-Doug

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Req: New Field: "Engine", with "directx", "wm" or "internal"?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 08:36:37 pm »

Could you help us understand why you want this?

The WMP engine shouldn't do anything better than MC's internal DirectX engine for videos (and it does a lot of things worse).

The audio engine is not configurable, but I think MC is second to none here so again there should be no reason to use anything else.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Req: New Field: "Engine", with "directx", "wm" or "internal"?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 04:13:25 pm »

Could you help us understand why you want this?

The WMP engine shouldn't do anything better than MC's internal DirectX engine for videos (and it does a lot of things worse).

The audio engine is not configurable, but I think MC is second to none here so again there should be no reason to use anything else.

Hi Matt - Regarding your first comment, MC's internal engine does not play back multichannel .wma or .wmv files in multichannel -- to play back such files in 5.1, you need to set WMP engine as default, and then change the file type of .wma's to wmv.

Regarding the second comment, there is indeed a reason, and that's because the audio engine doesn't play back a >2 channel source in multichannel.  There's another reason, which is that the .wav decoder doesn't recognize the bitstream of a DTS-encoded .wav (".dtswav" as some like to call it).  I can't argue that the audio quality of the 2-channel output internal to MC12 is the best, since I've been using it since MC9.  It's just not well suited for multichannel.  Until that changes I'm glad there is at least enough flexibility to fool the app into using the preferred engine...just wish it were less kludgy to do so.

Does this make sense now?  I can send a sample 24/96/5.1 wma if you are interested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up