INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripped DVD Import Question  (Read 883 times)

CanI

Ripped DVD Import Question
« on: December 02, 2007, 11:33:39 pm »

I just installed Media Center and have a question about importing ripped DVD files. 

I've ripped 3 DVDs into a separate folders named the same as the DVD title.  Each DVD folder has a VIDEO_TS sub folder.

I added the parent folder to MC as an import folder and ran the import. Then, I select the Videos tab in MC.

Two of the DVDs show up as a single thumbnails and play fine.  The third shows up with separated thumbnails for every VOB and IFO file in its VIDEO_TS folder.

How do I get MC to treat all the VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder as one movie similar to the other two DVDs?  Do I need to group them somehow?

I also noticed that when I run auto import again (Tools->Run Auto-Import Now) it removes the thumbnails for the separate VOB files.  If I run it a third time, the separate VOB files are added again.  This will flip-flop as I run auto import each time.

Any help would be appreciated.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ripped DVD Import Question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 03:47:00 pm »

I only import the video_ts.ifo file into MC.  It's all that's required.
Then I can tag and thumbnail that file.

CanI

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 11:27:34 pm »

Thanks for the info.

After some investigation, it seems that Media Center will only recognize a VIDEO_TS directory as a single movie when it can find a VIDEO_TS.IFO file in it.  I scan from a parent directory down to import my DVDs. Unfortunately, I have ripped a number of DVDs with the main movie only (for space reasons) option.  This gives me the IFO and VOB files for the main movie but does not contain the VIDEO_TS.IFO and VOB files.

I tried ripping the VIDEO_TS.IFO file to add to a previously ripped DVD.  MC recognizes the directory now. However, when I try to play it, it gives some sort of DVD volume not found error and won't play.

I had to re-rip the VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.VOB, and the IFO and VOB files for the root DVD menu in order for MC to play the DVD.  So, at a minimum, that is what your VIDEO_TS folder must contain before MC will play it.

It's unfortunate that MC can't play it with just the main movie (IFO and VOBs) files ripped like VLC can.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 12:18:28 am »

I rip the main movie and prefered audio track to a single VOB file, then just rename it as name.mpg - all done!
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up