INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NTFS Permissions Help  (Read 2026 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
NTFS Permissions Help
« on: December 09, 2007, 02:23:29 pm »

With our four users, generally each user cannot access another user's desktop, documents, etc. all on the server.  When I scan CD cover art, I save it to my desktop and then move it to the Music folder for each CD.  Unfortunately, this means that the cover art keeps its earlier permissions and still cannot be read by the other users.  I always have to go through and replace all permissions on the entire music folder.

Is there a way to force the entire music folder to have its permissions and replace all file permissions no matter what they are?

johnnyboy

Re: NTFS Permissions Help
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 04:50:20 pm »

Permissions are usually inherited in NTFS unless set otherwise.

If you set the permissions for the parent you can tell it to force all changes down to all children objects.

benn600

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 07:25:36 pm »

How?  That is exactly what I want to do.

The problem is that I will create files on my desktop and then move the files to the Music folder.  These files keep their permissions from my desktop.  I want them to take on the Music folder permissions completely.

johnnyboy

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 05:04:36 pm »

right click on the permissions for the parent folder and if you dig around under advanced you'll see options related to all child folders etc

benn600

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 12:15:48 am »

Thank you very much.

I go to the security tab, Advanced, and then uncheck "Inherit from parent..."  I then copy them over.  Finally, I update the permissions to make sure they are exactly what I want and force apply them (other check box).

It appears to have SOLVED this problem completely.  I didn't think that would fix it but it did (so far as I can tell).

Just for educational purposes, here is my general permissions structure.  We have four primary users + "Administrator" and "media."  The latter is used for our HTPCs.

The main options are:
1. Editable by all except media.
2. Editable by all except media & 3 users (editable by me)

Music is #1 because each user has to be able to modify his/her own Rating field, [Ben's Rating].  I'd like to disable writing but I don't see a way to allow tag updates without writing.
Video is #2 because tags don't need to be updated and no one else needs to be able to modify the ever important 3.47 TB Video folder.
Podcasts are #1 and could be more because they are not top priority for keeping safe.
Pictures are #2 for extra security--this is an important folder.

Everyone's user folder is only readable by the user except I can view everyone's (obviously).  The Installers folder (all my installers/formatting resources/setup procedures) are only editable by me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up