INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Outage (Better Request)  (Read 2023 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Power Outage (Better Request)
« on: December 15, 2007, 10:45:22 am »

We discussed emailing on a power outage before but I think I have a better understanding of what I actually want now.  We had a major ice storm a week ago and friends, family, school, and my work lost power but we didn't.  Yes, I was hoping for a quick blip to watch my UPS devices work but we didn't really get much (and I wouldn't want an outage because it would mean hours without).

The UPS is hooked up to the server.  So all I really want is a program that monitors battery power.  The power section shows AC/battery power so Windows has knowledge of if the power was cut.  Is there a way to set a trigger being loss of power?  It seems like there must be an easy way but I can't think of anything off hand.  If a script could be run on loss of power, I could craft something to just send an email.  Would be neat to text message me, too, as I have seen a few free text message online sites.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
Re: Power Outage (Better Request)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 01:36:59 pm »

you want a 'real' system monitoring program, something like BigBrother (google is your friend).

benn600

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 02:01:58 pm »

This isn't a datacenter that's making me millions of dollars.  It's my personal, in my spare time, server.  That's an interesting program, though.

I've Googled it a bit already.  Believe me: my google searches are continuous.  Just want to hear personal suggestions.  I guess it seems so simple yet so difficult.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 07:49:47 pm »

BigBrother and it's low-end competitors run from free to cheap.

I would have thought you have learned a few lessons about trying for force cheap stuff to perform like decently designed stuff.

benn600

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 11:56:26 pm »

On switch from AC to battery power, send email.

I'm not asking for a full fledged web portal for monitoring data centers around the world.

I would have thought you have learned a few lessons about trying for force cheap stuff to perform like decently designed stuff.

I don't think anything bad happened, did it?  The new power supply (here we go again) is saving a small cup of power (40 watts) and that means longer UPS runtime but it's all just "meh."
Pages: [1]   Go Up