INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creatve Zen Vision won't sync: Com Surrogate error (Windows Vista)  (Read 2098 times)

Psyffer23

• World Citizen

Since I upgraded to version 12.0.380 I can no longer sync my Creative Zen Vision M.  I haven't synced it in a couple of version so I can't be sure this just started happening at 380.  What happens is, as soon as I plug in my Zen I get an error from Windows Vista saying Com Surrogate has shut down then immediately following I get another message saying Media Center must close.  Any suggestions?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Creatve Zen Vision won't sync: Com Surrogate error (Windows Vista)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 10:17:55 pm »

I'd never heard of this, but a Google search turned this up:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/fix-for-com-surrogate-has-stopped-working-error-in-vista/

You might try uninstalling the problem apps the article lists.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 05:30:33 pm »

Matt, thanks for the quick reply.  I tried some of these fixes.  The DEP fix gets rid of the COM Surrogate error but, MC still crashes every time I connect my Zen.  I don't have Nero and I didn't think I had DivX but, I after checking add/remove programs, I found I did.  But, I didn't really want to uninstall any codecs if I didn't have to.  Especially the ffshow codecs which were such a pain to get working right with MC12.  I mean, I don't want to lose any functionality just to sync my zen.  It was working fine in earlier versions... except, now that I think about it, I used to get that COM Surrogate error whenever I cennected my Zen - it just didn't crash MC.  I don't know how long that has been happening.  Perhaps as long as I have been running MC on Vista?  Not sure.  Anyway, I also, uninstalled Urge as some of the posters on that link you sent me suggested.  I restarted after that and when I connected my Zen I got the "MC is closing" error message again.  I then just restarted MC and left my Zen plugged in to the USB.  I clicked on "Sync Handheld" and so far MC has not closed.  I will try and sync it later and report back.  Most of the posters on that link thought this was a video codecs issue but, I still gotta think this is an issue with a new build as I have made no recent changes to my system and this just started happenning.  Thanks again.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 08:24:48 am »

Well, MC still crashes every time I connect my Zen but, I was able to sync after restarting MC with the Zen still connected to USB.  This may not be related to the COM surrogate issue at all.  (See above).  What else could be causing this?

SwellGuy

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 10:05:28 am »

If you use a build before 12.0.380 does the crashing stop?

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 11:13:22 am »

I haven't upgraded in a while, so I only know it worked fine on 12.0.301.  I will try to roll back a few versions when I get the chance and see if that makes a difference.  Probably won't be able to test that until tomorrow evening, though.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 06:09:29 pm »

I rolled it back to 12.0.375 and it works just fine.  Then re-reinstalled 380 and it crashed again immediately.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 03:30:27 pm »

Anybody else out there seeing this problem with build 380 and Zen Vision: M?

SwellGuy

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 05:30:46 pm »

Please send me a log of the crash.

To do this turn on logging to a file in Help > Logging, reproduce the crash and then go back into the Logging and email me (rick at jriver dot com) the log files.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 11:43:39 am »

Tried upgrading to v. .386 but, I still have the same problem.  Sent you a log file, swellguy.  Thanks for your help.

SwellGuy

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 10:49:48 am »

John,

I'm not seeing anything in your logs and we can't reproduce the problem here so lets try a couple things:

1) Try turning off any and all MC services/servers/plugins you're running.
2) Try formatting the M.

Rick

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 09:33:06 pm »

Sorry,swellguy, thanks for the reply.  I haven't had time to try these suggestions yet.  I will probably not get a chance until Thursday evening.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 08:28:45 am »

OK, so MC crashed last night (I find it generally crashes a lot more under Vista than it ever did before) and when I restarted it I loaded it without the 3rd party plugins.  I wasn't sure how else to get them not to load except through that dialogue box after a crash.  But, anyway, then I tried to sync my Zen and, indeed, it did not crash MC when I connected it this time.  Now, my question is, how do I figure out which plugin is the problem?  Normally, I would think it was G-Force.  I associate a lot a crashes with G-Force but, in this case, I don't think it is the issue because I have connected my Zen to MC when I know G-Force is not running and it still crashed.  So, what is the most likely cause of this crashing among the plugins?  I am not sure how to go back and stop them one at a time to determine this.  Plus, there are a LOT of plugins.  Also, I have not loaded any new plugins since version 380 when the crashes started.  Could it be the Amazon plugin?  That was added around build 380 wasn't it?  Anyway, I guess I mostly just want to put this out there for information because, I can usally just restart MC after a crash while leaving the Zen attached and get it to sync.  So, that for me is a viable work around.  Let me know if you have any suggestions for narrrrowing down the possible plugin problem and thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up