INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod playback problem -- playback starts, then stops, then starts again.  (Read 3134 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I've recently started seeing an issue with my 5G 60GB iPod where when I play a song, it will start playing, then stop for a few seconds, then start playing again at the point it left off and continue normally from that point on (i.e. it essentially "pauses" for a few seconds in the beginning of the track.)  This might have nothing to do with MC, but it's only been doing this for a little while now, which "may" point to an MC problem.  I can say for certain that this didn't use to be a problem -- I've only started seeing this recently.

When a song first starts playing, the screen does not start showing the seconds progressing right away, and the cover art does not yet load -- the screen is essentially "frozen" even though I can hear playback.  It "seems" like what might be happening is that loading the cover art takes up too many resources and causes the pause, but this is just based on my own observation.

Note that this ONLY happens right in the beginning of a song.  Once the song has been playing a bit, it does not happen.  It also does not appear to be consistent -- it doesn't happen on every song, and it doesn't keep happening consistently -- I can play one of the songs that showed this issue before, and it doesn't happen this time.

I'll recently did a full update and restore, which be related to this, but the cause of this issue could theoretically be due to a combination of the newest firmware along with the recent versions of MC.

Thanks for any feedback on this,

Larry

SwellGuy

Re: iPod playback problem -- playback starts, then stops, then starts again.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 01:17:53 pm »

It might be time to defrag.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 07:23:19 pm »

It might be time to defrag.

I just noticed this in the 389 build thread:

4. Fixed: Artwork was getting fragmented on iPods causing delays when cover art was loading.

Is this possibly what I was experiencing?  I'll have to test this build tonight.

Regarding the issue of fragmentation on the iPod, would I be correct in assuming that initializing would effectively defrag the iPod's drive?  If not, would a full restore and re-sync do it?  My previous sync (which DID have this issue) was on a newly updated/restored iPod, so this would be as UNfragmented as possible, correct?

On a related note, I thought that actually defragging iPods was not recommended.  Is this not correct?

Thanks,

Larry 

SwellGuy

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 11:09:56 am »

It's precisely what you were experiencing.

bwaldron

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 10:39:30 pm »

It's precisely what you were experiencing.

And what I was experiencing as well. Performance on my 160 GB Classic was horrible -- huge lags and long waits for artwork to show up...got so bad that I reverted to iTunes for awhile. But with the latest MC build (393) all is well again.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 11:30:30 pm »

I just wanted to report that this did indeed fix the problem I was seeing.  A big "thanks!" to the MC team for fixing this so fast.

Thanks,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up