INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with iPod 80 gig  (Read 1997 times)

saab05

• Recent member
Problems with iPod 80 gig
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:11:53 pm »

i just bought an iPod 80 gig and media center doesn't recognize it. so now i am having to import my music library into iTunes, wasting a ton of space on my hard drive. I suppose I could put it on my external hard drive but when I did that with my laptop it caused losts of problems, largely because it meant I had to have the small external drive hooked up. I guess in this case, since the ext is always hooked up, iTunes might work with it ok. I still prefer Media Center, though.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 12:53:33 pm »

i just bought an iPod 80 gig and media center doesn't recognize it. so now i am having to import my music library into iTunes, wasting a ton of space on my hard drive.

Ummmm..... You don't need to create copies of all of your music to use it through iTunes.  It does that by default (annoyingly), but you can turn it off.

Just go into the Options, to the Advanced "tab", and uncheck Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when importing.  Then it'll simply import them where they already are without creating copies.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rjm

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 12:56:27 pm »

Ummmm..... You don't need to create copies of all of your music to use it through iTunes.  It does that by default (annoyingly), but you can turn it off.

Just go into the Options, to the Advanced "tab", and uncheck Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when importing.  Then it'll simply import them where they already are without creating copies.

Might be a good idea to create a read only share pointing to the media files so that iTunes doesn't bugger up any of the tags. At least that's what I am going to do...

bwaldron

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 06:36:26 pm »

i just bought an iPod 80 gig and media center doesn't recognize it.

Are you sure? I think a recent MC build will recognize any 80 GB iPod -- it's the newer Touch and iPhones that don't work (and they don't come that large).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 06:37:41 pm »

You could try the build from the top of this board.  12.0.396. 

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Problems with iPod 80 gig
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 06:59:54 pm »

iPod classic 80GB works perfectly with MC. I recently tried it.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

hottuna

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 07:35:30 pm »

12/19/07 I had plenty of problems with earlier builds of MC12, especially with cover art, but I converted from iTunes to MC12 this weekend with my 80gb classic and it seems to be working fine after two successful sync's of 5000+ songs. 

12/29/07 my cover art problem resurfaced after several successful sync's of 10000+ songs. Not sure why and I wish I had more to offer in terms of data to help the folks at JRiver find the solution to this problem, but I made many changes to my smartlists and cleaned up a lot of broken album art and I can't isolate the cause to any one thing that I did.  I'll keep my eyes on the MC forums but it's back to iTunes and it's problems for a while.

saab05

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 07:15:22 pm »

i downloaded the latest build and everything is working fine. i just wiped all the iTunes music all the iPod and am replacing with Media Center files. I don't remember, but I hope they retain the blend of one song to another, which iTunes software does not permit on the iPod.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 07:37:50 pm »

That's called "cross fade", but it's handled by the iPod, not by MC.

saab05

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 07:51:48 pm »

yes, i know it is called crossfade. but it doesn't work on any of several iPods I have had. And i read dozens of posts from others with the same problem. I think some have said it will work if you play from the iTunes program but not the iPod. I have just made several 600 miles trips from Denver to KC. The blending worked perfectly on my laptop running media center. it did not on the iPod even the machine periodically did a socalled analysis of gaps. going to test the ipod now with music loaded from latest media center build and hope for the best.
Pages: [1]   Go Up