INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Idle Gossip of what you'd like in MC13  (Read 16016 times)

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Idle Gossip of what you'd like in MC13
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2008, 04:21:29 am »

Reply 100! In celebration.... (Many recent changes have made this much shorter than it was, but here we go.....)

Darichman's super-duper wish list for MC13

Major Changes
Relational Database
Discussed at length elsewhere. Functional artist and album database at least, with inheritance of information from what’s already in the database. Movie/Television database would also be nice. Even nicer, allow us to create our own groups based on fields – a true information database, not just a file database could offer something like AMG (Allmusic, Allmovies, Allgames), with user generated content. Pretty please?

Visualising Information during playback
Artist Info and Album Info views – would tie in nicely with database changes mentioned above. Need to make better use of extended metadata like lyrics. A flashy snazzy interactive menu to display this stuff while a file is playing would be cool. Track Info templates are a bit limited, afterall.

Tagging of non-taggable files
For files which don’t support embedded tags/metadata, have MC create “.tag” files in the folder to store this information for retrieval on other computers or as a backup of the information. Can’t count how many times I’ve lost info because it’s stored in the database only :(

Portable database
Looks like something might be happening here! Would be great to see MC backups containing library info, settings, view schemes and plugins if possible... a quick glance at any of benn600’s posts will show that there is avid support for this ;)

Photo Handling
MC12 has been fantastic for photos. Well done! Would love to see some more big changes here.
See: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43888.msg301182#msg301182

Feature Requests
The Tree
Allow customisation of tree root items (order/custom icons)
Allow tree root items in theatre view (PLEASE!)
Allow us to get rid of "Audio,Video,Images" for those of us who find these categories unuseful

Expression Editor
Expressions confuse me. I have found them incredibly useful when I’ve managed to find the time to sit down and plot one out from scratch, but an “Expression Wizard” would really help out with those nested “if(...)” functions. You could call it “Marko” :D

New Expressions
I’ve got “count” and “combine” (great!). I want to be able to do calculations etc across multiple tracks. This might only be possible if MC went to a relational database :P
In addition, I would really like a “Find & Replace” expression for use in view scheme panes. This would allow me to parse the [Artist] field based on “ & “ and “, “ etc. Many other uses as well.

Consolidate Move/Copy/Rename files
...and apply similar system to ripping and conversion

Bugs / Outstanding Issues
Clean file properties appends XXXX-01-01 00:00 to year field
(http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44465.msg304295#msg304295)

Animated GIF files
MC, the one that plays it all, probably one of the most powerful media apps on the net, cannot play animated GIFs. Yes I know it’s hard to believe that MC cannot handle that which even windows picture viewer can do. Shame, J River, shame :)

gappie

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2008, 06:00:39 am »

i just hope image playback gets some new attention. the fact that it stops nearly everytime i close fullscreen, even when there is nothing else playing back is driving me crazy.

rjm

« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2008, 12:19:13 pm »

Allow us to get rid of "Audio,Video,Images" for those of us who find these categories unuseful

There is a work around for this. If you create a custom language translation file you can rename these to anything. In my case I renamed Audio to Main because I display all media types in this view. Its very easy and only takes a couple minutes to implement.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2008, 07:32:14 am »

There is a work around for this. If you create a custom language translation file you can rename these to anything. In my case I renamed Audio to Main because I display all media types in this view. Its very easy and only takes a couple minutes to implement.

Yes, you're right... still, I'd like to be able to remove the tiles completely.
At one point, we could right click>delete these entries (although they'd come right back on program restart!) but even that is greyed out now.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2008, 09:49:48 am »

I second the expression editor idea. Even if it just gave you a simple way to add "if" statements to the current smartlist rules. That would be so useful for customizing the "Rename files from properties" tool.

Seviien

• World Citizen
  • SteveG for President! :)
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2008, 03:37:32 pm »

An OSX version :)

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2008, 01:28:06 pm »

I'm reluctant to propose lots of new features for MC 13.  I'd like to see some obvious fixes made.  My list:

4. I'd like to have a one hand, one click, always works  way to play the files that I have selected.  The play button in the player area is overloaded.  Even if I check the option to make it play the selected files, it will resume play of the previously playing file if I have paused playback earlier.  I'd like an additional button that always plays the files that are selected or all files listed if none are selected.  And if you can, an add to playback list button.

5. Better documentation.  MC 12 has decent documentation of menu items and commands compared to most players.  However, MC 12 has lots of features that will not be obvious to newcomers.  It needs better explanation of the underlying concepts and better how-to descriptions that provide step-by-step descriptions of things a beginner needs to do. 

---
I do have one new feature I'd like to see.  I'd like to be able to combine music files in MC (as I copy and convert format.)
These are the things I'd like most. I use MC for music only and the addition of these functions (which would basically amount to few buttons) would make MC, in my opinion, more touchscrren friendly and more juke-boxey...a playing now screen that also says what song was last played, is playing and is going to be played next would be cool as well..

Seviien

• World Citizen
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2008, 02:11:11 pm »

An OSX version :)

... and more realistically, tabs that remember what they were in the prior session would be nice.

gappie

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2008, 02:35:35 pm »

... and more realistically, tabs that remember what they were in the prior session would be nice.
well, that one reason why i think it is already 13. ;)
go to options>startup>startup interface>location> choose last location.  :)

Seviien

• World Citizen
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2008, 02:42:08 pm »

You rock my small, self-centered little universe :)  thanks

JONCAT

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2008, 11:07:12 pm »

Move functions need to be enhanced. Being able to convert format but use a special or custom field when doing so; would help to have this apply to Images. Currently you can't convert images via sync and have folders re-created. And I thought that if we moved files within the tree, the database is supposed to recognize the changes.

Also, full .ape support integration would be great; i.e. Verify function.

DC

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2008, 12:36:29 am »

Just use the convert format option.  You can then select the destination and I think unchecking all the boxes will act like a move with conversion.

The checkboxes are vital to the power of this feature.

JONCAT

« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2008, 09:47:25 am »

Convert function is limited. Play with it. Yes, if you select the same filetype, you can choose to "skip conversions of same file type", but you are stuck using Artist filed to build folders which is useless for many of us who use Album Artist (auto) or better yet a custom field to correctly preserve Artist (various incarnations, misspellings, duets). And you can't convert images (re-size) and retain folder stucture. Maybe the Sync Library function can do this, I haven't played with it yet.

DC

P.s. sorry I never got back to your pm, super busy with baby & grad school and I had to rebuild my PC, sell buggy unstable 790fx chipset & Phenom, and re-build again with new parts.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2008, 02:07:33 pm »

I had to rebuild my PC

I recently rebuilt my PC, too!  I swapped motherboards in my desktop and server and the server motherboard suddenly developed a very strange, unusual problem.  Yes I was well grounded the whole time.

So I ended up being without a computer for a week while I ordered and setup the new motherboard/installation in my main workstation.  It was horrible!  That's one of the dreaded situations in life.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2008, 04:07:21 pm »

It would be nice if each pane item shows its ratings for its children.

E.g. An album with 10 songs has a maximum rating of: 5 Stars multiplied by 10 = 50 points = 100 %
So on the left of each album there could be something like a mini box showing the rating by filling up - or maybe color coding with gradients between gray and green (will all gradients in between).

The same thing would go for Genre, Artist etc.

tom

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2008, 04:39:42 pm »

I've posted these before in a thread earlier this week, but here they are again if anyone missed them.

1. Option to make the group font size smaller.  I feel like the existing font is way larger than it needs to be and wastes a lot of space.

2. The ability to go directly from artist thumbnails to a grouped list of albums like in WMP 11.  Basically, if you are at your artist thumbnail view, double click on an artist and the current view switches to one which lists all songs by that artist in detail view grouped by album.  I realize it is possible to do this with the 'Always Show Files' Option, but I would really love to be able to do all this in a single view because having two views eats up too much screen space.

3. Ability to select all members of a group by clicking on the large thumbnail.  Should work with right click and left click.

4. Add the ability to place thumbnail text to the right the thumbnail instead of only bellow.

5. Add the ability to make thumbnail text 'hot linked' (just try clicking on thumbnail text in WMP 11, you will see what I mean.)

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2008, 10:05:24 am »

A streaming media server that can transcode video (all types) on the fly...

This is one of my wishes too.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2008, 10:16:54 am »

5. Much more advanced server/client setup that would allow certain users the ability to rip CDs/DVDs/etc. and MC client would send the CD data to MC server and IT would store the data where it is configured to.  So clients would be essentially configured mainly from the server.  This applies to my #0 request.

I would add to this:

-- the ability to create/edit playlists and smartlists from clients that are connected to Library Server and have those changes stored on the Library Server (unless connected using party mode)
-- ability to do tagging from clients that are connected to Library Server and have those changes stored on the Library Server (unless connected using party mode)

Right now it is difficult to do library editing when you have Media Server running constantly (as I do). I either need to Remote Desktop into the server PC and do library changes there or shut down the Media Server while I make edits from another PC and then restart Media Server again. This is enough of a pain that I make edits much less frequently that I otherwise would.

-- Ability to have UPnP server work with the Xbox 360 dashboard media player as Twonky and Orb do.

-- Ability to have UPnP clients resume playback of a file where it was stopped.

flac.rules

« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2008, 10:46:29 am »

0. Easy to say of course: faster searching, reordering and opening of large playlists.
1. A bit more flexibility in moving around the components of a skin, and resizing them. (like for instance having the list of songs in the upper right corner, insted of the lower right, and so on)
2. Writing both album-gain and track-gan the same way as foobar
3. Able to tag files from a client when using server-client
4. Easier way to switch between beeing able to tag and not.
5. Option for a button and or key to skip to a random track on the list.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up