INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible to play Emulator Games?  (Read 1532 times)

thurston

• World Citizen
Possible to play Emulator Games?
« on: January 04, 2008, 09:24:26 am »

I recently installed a of Nintendo emulator and some games to play on it.  Is there a way to display either the emulator program or the game files in MC, specifically in theater view?  It would be really cool if I could have a game tab with thumbnails showing the game covers.  The files are already associated with the program, so by opening the file it automatically loads the program.  Let me know if more info is needed.
Thanks

thurston

• World Citizen
Re: Possible to play Emulator Games?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 01:56:48 pm »

I really have no idea how MC uses programs to play videos and music.  It seems tobe able to open documents with windows programs so I thought there might be a way to just list the files (ROMs) but still assign the Emulator program to open them.  If this is not possible let me know.

brainsoup

• World Citizen
  • Sexy! No No No...
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 03:03:53 pm »

I think this should work... not sure though, give it a whirl and let me know, it will need a bit of fiddling

Goto Program Files->J River->Media Center->Data->Default Resources

Open the FileAssociations.xml in a text editor

add the file extension of the ROM files to the 'Document' part of this and save the file. (You'll need to save to desktop and copy it in if running Vista)

Run import in MC

When you "play" one of the files it should launch the emulator program

Let me know how this works out!

Cheers

Chris

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 04:15:27 pm »

I couldn't find the 'Document' part of that .kml file, and I'm also a little leery of editing something I don't understand at all.

In the meantime, I was able to import all the ROM (game) files by:
  • Browsing to them in the MC Tree under Drives and Devices>My Computer>Local Disk (C):>Documents and Settings>......>Games (where my ROMs are located).
  • Right CLicking the "Games" folder and selecting "Import into Library"

MC automatically located the files under the "Documents" heading in the Tree.  I created a view scheme that only shows Data files with the extensions of the games and titled it "Nintendo".

If I double click any of the files (in standard view), it starts the emulator and the game...so far so good.

Now I only need to figure out how to show the View Scheme in Theater View.  Is there any way to show document view schemes in Theater View?  I left the "Show in Theater View" Box checked in the Edit View Scheme Box.  I think I'm close, please advise!

skeeterfood

• Citizen of the Universe
  • We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 04:31:16 pm »

You'll have to move the View Scheme under one of the top-level schemes (Audio, Images, Video) for it to show up in Theater View.

Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure.  Which is why some of us have been asking for the ability to add custom View Schemes to the top-level of Theater View...

-John

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 02:01:26 pm »

I tried moving it under the Images Vies Scheme (by dragging the folder), but it still doesn't show up in Theater View.  Also, when I click on the scheme under Images, it doesn't show any of the files.  Is there an option I need to use to view the non image files under the image scheme?  Am I doing something wrong?

brainsoup

• World Citizen
  • Sexy! No No No...
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 02:50:37 pm »

To make it show items under images make sure the "Honor Parent Scheme Search Strings" box is unchecked.

To view the scheme in Theater View go to images and then your scheme should be shown as an icon at the top. Open that to view your files
Pages: [1]   Go Up