INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File Path Creation- Auto Add Groupings (A,B,C..)?  (Read 1207 times)

Robo983

• World Citizen
File Path Creation- Auto Add Groupings (A,B,C..)?
« on: January 06, 2008, 10:38:25 pm »

I could find anything on the wiki or forum post but I am hoping someone has already solved this.

My music is in folders grouped by the first character of the artist name like:

\A\ARTIST\ALBUM
\B\ARTIST\ALBUM
\C\ARTIST\ALBUM

I want to be able to sync my portables, ripp and download with MC and have it add this one extra folder level like it does in display views.

I can only think of one manual way to do it by creating a user field and manually selecting all the artists in a group and update that user field with the grouping then add the user field to the file path. Is there an [Artists (grouped)] that exist to be added to the file path so it auto creates this for me?

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: File Path Creation- Auto Add Groupings (A,B,C..)?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 10:51:10 pm »

In your view scheme (Audio), right click and edit.  Then pick the item you want broken down (Artist) and click edit.  Check "Grouping" and select 1 as grouping size.

You'll probably want a second "Artist" field not broken down and then use filter in both directions.

Addition: hmmm, sorry... I see you want the extra folder added on syncing.  I guess the question is: is there an [Artist] variable that is grouped?

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 11:00:01 pm »

Yes, I can get it to look in the tree view how I want it to look on my HD. Since there isn't a tag/stardard library field I do not know if it can be done unless manually as I mentioned.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 01:35:37 am »

You could create the [Artists (grouped)] field yourself.
Choose "Calculated data" and paste this string into the template field:
if(isequal(mid([artist],0,3),The,1),mid([artist],4),mid([artist]))

It will place "The Beatles" under "B" etc. so as not to overload the "T" directory, and can be used in file path templates just like any other MC field.

If you don't want to create the field, it should also be possible to use the expression in the file path template directly.

-marko.

gappie

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 01:35:55 am »

when i understand it right then you want this in the filename path:
Mid([Artist], 0,1)\[Artist]\[Album]

edit: or as marko said :)

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 09:51:53 am »

Awesome, thanks guys!

I haven't tried this yet but it is exactly what I was looking for. I had the thought on the way to work of doing it like this but knew I was going to learn how to build an expression in MC and also relized I would have to deal with the "The" problem and had no idea how to deal with that. I know how to build expression like that in M$ excel and access but haven't learned how in MC yet but figured there was a way.

I'll try this out and repost with the results in case someone else finds them selves here.

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 11:38:24 am »

This worked Great!, I decided to create the user field so I would always have access to it. I just ripped my first CD with it and it created the Directory starting with the Artists first character. I added the field to my view and it truncates the "The" on Aritist also.

Thanks Again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up