INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media File Disk Organization & other thoughts  (Read 889 times)

Ergolad

Media File Disk Organization & other thoughts
« on: August 09, 2002, 11:03:57 pm »

Does MJ have the ability to organize pre-existing MP3s on your hardrive into specific folders and rename the files? For instance Real Jukebox and Real One can organize & rename your MP3 files on your harddrive for you using the info in the file's tag. I set it to organise everthing in one general music folder with artist name subfolders. Then each MP3 is renamed "ARTIST-ALBUM-TRACK#-TRACK NAME.mp3." This makes it easy for anyone I share them with to identify the important elements of the song. An example would be:

D:\My Music\Cake\Cake - Fashion Nugget - 02 - The Distance.mp3

I see that MJ can do this if you are ripping from a CD, recording and if you are converting, but it is pre-existing music on a hard drive, or recently downloaded music, that I'm concerned about.

With Real, if I have a bunch of files just hanging unorganized in my music folder, assuming their tags are accurate, I'll just go to TOOLS/PREF/MUSIC FILES/APPLY TO EXISTING MUSIC. It will then organize everything according to the settings I've defined in the "Subfolders and Filenames For CD Recording" field.

I think MJ is pretty rock'n, but I would like this feature. MJ organizes well within the program, but doesn't seem to organize the actual harddrive in quite the way described above.

Am I missing something? Or is this just not a feature? By the way, a better support method would be nice too. This whole forum thing is weak IMHO. I'd like the option to call & e-mail, especially if I was a paying customer!

lee269

RE:Media File Disk Organization & other thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2002, 12:22:00 am »

Ergolad

Is this what you mean? Select files in your library and choose Edit/Properties (or right click). In the properties window choose Tools/Rename files from properties. You can choose the directory structure and file naming convention from here. Your preferred naming convention is a preset in here, but you can make your own. Plus Tools/Fill properties from filename will do the reverse for organised but untagged files.

Marcel Vogel

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2002, 12:23:25 am »

MJ can do this, the files must be imported first(that is what I would like to see change) then select the files, go to the file properties and select tools, rename files from properties. After saving the database will be updated and everything is fine..

Ergolad

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2002, 09:33:00 am »

Sounds great IF I could test it. I downloaded a few days ago and none of the premium features were available to me for some reason. All I can guess is that since I tried an older version a while back it invalidated my trial. Seems like BS to me since any significantly new version, as this is supposed to be, should reset your trial period so that you can test it out. I've posted to the forum here hoping for a responce, but haven't heard anything. I sure wish there was an e-mail address you could write to or a number I could call. It sure doesn't inspire confidence for someone who is considering shelling out the money to buy the program.

Thanks for your feedback though!

gateley

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2002, 11:03:15 am »

Ergolad,

You can try on a friends computer, or maybe at an internet cafe. You can also check the list of plus features on this web site.

We cannot do anything about your expired trial period. Sorry.

Many people have entered this forum complaining, and some end up being our most loyal and supportive users. We have a broad community of users and JRiver employees, and it works quite well.

j
JRiver, Inc.

Ergolad

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2002, 05:50:58 pm »

This policy to not allow renewed trials for new versions of the software makes no sense to me.

Even when Symantec rolls out a new Antivirus they let you retry it. As a matter of fact, new functionality that I discovered through a trial sold me. Had they blocked that trial because I had been dissapointed and passed on an older version, they probably never would have gotten me to become a die-hard Norton user.

Oh well. I guess no point beating a dead horse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up