INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tabs, View Schemes and Columns  (Read 1770 times)

johnnyboy

• Citizen of the Universe
Tabs, View Schemes and Columns
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:13:57 am »

I was playing around today in MC trying to set it up and see just how powerful I could get it.

One thing I discovered is that it has tons of powerful features that let me set things up great.

Day to day I usually use tabs -they're great for multiple view schemes to easily switch between them and I'd never really tried much else.
Right now I'm ripping some tracks then listening to them after I've ripped the album while I'm ripping the next. Its great having a split vertical view scheme. I have the currently ripping track showing as well as playing now - nice tidy little view.

One thing thats a bit annoying though is having to then go back and change the view scheme to tabs etc. etc.

One thing that'd give MC insanely huge amounts of power for 'power users' and anyone who just likes to get fancy would be if we could do the following:

1) Configure 'view settings' per view scheme. We could really tweak the layout then depending on the type of thing we wanted to see and view schemes would be all about storing these view layouts so to speak. So for any given view scheme we could set it to use tabs - I'd use this for my library for browsing or split vertical, or split horizontal, etc, etc.
I'm not quite sure exactly how you'd do the above because you also obviously want to be able to have different view schemes that you can click on to change whats displaying in the current tab/pane/etc.

Possibly just have a check box, that is disabled by default, that says 'also remember page layout' or something. Then it'd be up to us to mix and match different ones that controled the view/layout of the screen and the content/panes in it etc.

This would be HUGELY powerful and a totally incredible feature that I'd imagine would be possible to add :)

2) (this might be a lot harder to do) - Allow us to mix tabs and split views etc. Right now with my split vertical screens its great to have playing now open and my library to the side of it. An even better use would be if I used it to have a full page playlist or something showing to the right and then my library to the left. If we could then open up tabs inside each of these splits it would be WOW. I could have say 3 playlists open and be browsing through my library and super easily drag files into the playlists, drag them to the position I want in the playlist and then release it (hover with the dragged files over the tab to switch to that playlist then just drag it up and down as appropriate).

Widescreen monitors are becoming more and more common and monitor sizes continue to grow and large monitors these days are not at all uncommon. My 22" widescreen cost me less than $400.
With these size widescreen monitors the amount of info we can get on the screen is potentially huge!

This is what I currently have in MC:

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/7774/mc1vf8.jpg

This is what I'm suggesting:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/746/mc2fv9.jpg

Its power is mind boggling :D

johnnyboy

Re: Tabs, View Schemes and Columns
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 08:15:35 am »

Not to mention for photos this would REALLY open up alot of powerful possibilities!

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 11:37:27 am »

I also want to mix tabs and columns. This has been wished for by me and others in various places, and it's really a logical next step, so I'm sure we'll see it sooner or later. Also the ability to lock views...
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

sithlord0338

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 06:20:30 pm »

I'll add my +1 to this. I'd love to be able to have tabs inside each split.

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 11:11:23 pm »

how did you get the playing now on the right side of the screen?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 01:10:05 am »

how did you get the playing now on the right side of the screen?
From the toolbar, click: View > Split View > Columns
And then, again, click:  View > Split View > Show 2 Views

You'll notice that one has a dark header, and one has a light header.
The light one is the "Active" view.
Click anywhere in the inactive view to activate it.

If you then go to: Tools > Options > Startup > Startup Interface and set "Location" to "Last Location", then next time you start MC, each view column will display the same locations they were displaying when MC was closed.

-marko.

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 10:17:23 am »

Tabs in splits - This would be perfect  :)

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 08:49:27 pm »

is there a way, other than just not keeping the right view in focus, to stay playing now and never change?

johnnyboy

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 09:10:44 pm »

You just never 'click' the right pane and always leave the left pane as the one in focus and the right one should never change AFAIK.

mlagase

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 05:15:35 am »

That is fine as long as you don't exit MC and reopen. You have to use the startup trick that marko mentioned to set the location to "Last Location" to remember the view.

It would be nice if we could hard code a specific view from changing at all and this way you don't have to set the startup option to Last Location"

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up