INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Smartlist Question (Can't figure out scenario)  (Read 1134 times)

bbuckeye

• Recent member
Another Smartlist Question (Can't figure out scenario)
« on: January 17, 2008, 01:10:39 pm »

OK, so another one that's stumping my friend and I.  We'd like a smartlist that shows all the songs released in the last or current year that I haven't listened to.

So I know I can do this:  [Media Type]=[audio] [Date (year)]==2008 [number plays]=0

but would like to have the year "2008" as a wildcard so I don't have to make a smartlist for each year.

Does MC "know" what the current date is?  Is there a wildcard that will do that?  Am I making any sense?  heh..

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Another Smartlist Question (Can't figure out scenario)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 01:57:51 pm »

MC is able to get the current date from the system, and so we can use this to achieve your goal. You will need to create a new library field first:

1. go to "tools > options > Library and Folders > User Library Fields > Add Field
Name your new field Current Year and in the "Data" section, select "Calculated Data" and then paste the following into the "template" field: formatdate(now(),yyyy)

2. your new smart list rule will be: [media type]=audio [number plays]=[] [=isequal([current year],[date (year)],2)]=1
This will return any audio files dated in the current year that have not been played, and will not need updating when the current year changes.

You will need to create other basic smartlists for other years, perhaps a view scheme with a "search list" pane would work best?

-marko.

bbuckeye

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 09:49:02 am »

Wow.. I've been a pretty hardcore user of MJ/MC since v7 I think.. but it never ceases to amaze me that anything I can dream up can be accomplished here.  Still can't figure out why people use Microsoft's product and claim it's better.  THANKS!!!!

Snappy

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 09:59:37 am »

Thanks marko.

Really nice work there.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 03:44:56 am »

You're welcome :)

The Now() function was added primarily as a way to get photos from a camera imported into a folder that would automatically use the current system date as its name; it has other uses too, as shown above.

Another way to use it is to create a calculated field that will return the date as specified by the system using the same steps as in #1 above, just name the field Current Date and use the following template: formatdate(now(),dd//MM//yyyy)

This allows you to create a smartlist that really does return files that have been played today, rather than in the last 24 hours as the default "played today" smartlist does. The smartlist search for the true "Played Today" goes like so:
[=isequal([last played],[Current Date],8)]=1 ~sort=[Last Played]-d

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up