INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: convert aif to mp3 & keep as file  (Read 1184 times)

Steve A

• Recent member
convert aif to mp3 & keep as file
« on: January 14, 2008, 12:37:27 pm »

I have aiff files from a mac (made as an export from final cut pro) that I want to convert to MP3 and  keep as a file on the HD (not burn a disc).  I can import the aif to media center on my PC and it can play, but when I go to convert file it says it's not a supported format (even though I checked aif in the find box).

Any way to make the conversion? Also can it convert and create a new file without destroying the old one and save to desktop without burning a disc?

Thanks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: convert aif to mp3 & keep as file
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 03:16:24 pm »

You should be able to convert AIFF if it is decoded by DirectShow. I just tried and with my DS filter setup DirectShow handled AIFF. However, file conversion was not possible for some reason.

I asked advice from JRiver's DirectShow expert, Yaobing.

For now, you may need to use some other tool for the conversion, for example iTunes.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 04:52:11 pm »

I sent Yaobing an AIFF sample. Here's what he found:

Thanks for the sample.

It plays fine in MC, as you have tried. All aiff, aiffc samples that I downloaded elsewhere did not play.  ?

Anyway, with the sample you provided, I think I know why it would not convert even though it plays. AIFF is routed to DirectX video playback engine, instead of DirectShow audio playback. I will make a quick change.

Possibly the fix is available in the next public MC12 build. The fix should help if your files are in the basic AIFF format. The Windows Wave Parser filter (which is used for decoding AIFF to PCM) may not support Apple's extended AIFF-C format.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 05:24:42 pm »

It's fixed. You will be able to convert any aiff files that you can play with build 417 of MC.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 07:57:39 pm »

Wow... Thanks Yaobing, Alex, and Steve!  I'll actually use this quite a bit.  I never even thought about using MC to do it (I usually just run them through Compressor on my Mac).  However, I'd much rather use LAME to make them, and MC already auto-imports my whole video projects folder on my RAID at work....
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up