INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod Classic and MC not working  (Read 5808 times)

RorK

• Recent member
iPod Classic and MC not working
« on: January 22, 2008, 11:06:37 am »

Hi all,

After two unsuccessful attempts to get my new iPod synced with MC, I'm a bit confused now.
So far MC synced all my music twice (after update) to the iPod (but it doesn't show), resulting in a full iPod......  :o

After reading the forum posts after my first attempt I updated my MC to the latest .404 version, and retried the sync as was stated in several posts. This didn't work and resulted in a (almost) full iPod as it seems the "format" of the second sync is different. Still my music doesn't show and is listed under the "other" listing.

So....... to get it all working, can somebody tell me the -exact- firmware version of the iPod (now using 1.03 PC) and version of MC we need to get all this up and running. I hate to install iTunes to get my music on the iPod. I will just format the iPod or whatever they may call it in Apple country and start off clean.

So far I just use my trusty Archos Mini untill the iPod works........ (Drag and drop, it could be so nice for the iPod  ;D ).

cheers all for all replies,

rob

P.S. It might be a nice thing to make a  "sticky" for "basic" stuff like this, so you don't have to search the entire database. Stuff like firmware, MC version, fixing coverart, syncs etc. All updated with new versions etc. because this is all over the forum now and is coming back post after post.

RorK

• Recent member

OK,

After posting I saw .404 isn't the last version. The updater didn't see that after restarting MC after the .404 update.....
I will at least update to .410 as soon as I'm home.

I still would like to know if I have to update the firmware from 1.03PC to someting higher up the foodchain....

cheers,

rob

enigman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • thinking...

Hey -

Make sure you initialize your iPod before starting a transfer if it had previously failed. 

What format is your library in?  If it's not already all in MP3 or AAC, then you may have better luck if you create a cache in order to reduce the time that the iPod is actually transferring files over.  I had trouble doing it the right way (under settings, conversion, cache, there's an option to build the handheld cache), so here's my workaround:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44638.msg305646#msg305646

I was beating my head against the wall trying to get this to work until I went through the process of manually creating the cache.

Hope this helps!

RorK

• Recent member

OK,

I give up on MC unless somebody can give me a solution....

I've tried -every-trick and tip on this forum, but the iPod refuses to show any music that's been synced from MC.
Also the eject button doesn't do anything.

Now running the 12.0.410 MC and an ipod with 1.03PC firmware.

Installing itunes right now, want to start to use the iPod this week................

rob

SwellGuy

When Apple updates their DB structure (as they did with iTunes 7.6) it takes us a while to incorporate the new format. During this interim you won't be able to use your iPod with iTunes and Media Center simultaneously, you will have to use one app or the other. To use MC with you iPod, try the following:

1) Initialize your iPod in MC - right-click on the iPod in the tree and select Initialize iPod from the menu. Sync using only MC. (Note: If this doesn't work, the new firmware on the iPod doesn't recognize the older iPod DB format and you won't be able to use Media Center until we update to the new DB format. This is usually done within a week of an iPod DB update.)

2) Restore your iPod with the previous version of iTunes.

RorK

• Recent member

Hi,

did all mentioned at 1..... no go...

installed iTunes, it right away complained about the iPod and I had to restore it within iTunes, and forced to run the 1.1 firmware update........
tried to import my music libary into iTunes, but so far it will crash as soon as I select mu music folder on the network.

How hard can it get to put Music on this friggin' thing....jeezz..... way to go Apple....

rob

p.s. any suggestions are welcome for MC 410 and 1.1 iPod

p.p.s. the eject button is still not working

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

If you can give us a few days, we can sort this out.

For now, if you can, put the older firmware on it.  I've seen a couple of posts that make me think it's possible.

RorK

• Recent member

Hi,

I will try to find another version of iTunes (<7.6) and see if I can revert the firmware on the iPod.

I still rather do everything from within MC, so any good news on MC .410+ and a 1.1 Firmware in the coming days would be awesome.
Why is Apple changing the DB format so often? Is it just to keep it all closed up and annoy all the 3rd party apps out there??

rob

HtV

• Recent member

Afaik, if you initialise in MC12 you can use the new 1.1 firmware fine. Just don't use iTunes in the meantime because it will mess things up again. I don't like restoring or putting older firmwares back, I bricked my classic while restoring so maybe I'm a bit biassed ;) I had to bring it back to the store and got it back after 2 weeks.

Hans

RorK

• Recent member

OK,

Will have -another- try as soon as I'm home. I didn't have iTunes installed before, I def. will not use it if I can  ;)
Did find Anapod, might give that a try as well tonight when all things fail.

rob

SwellGuy

This is fixed in MC 12.0.421 which should be available for public consumption in a day or two.

HtV

• Recent member

Ok great, I'll try it as soon as it's there. I'll be very happy if it works, well to be honest it's my daughter whom I'm struggling for :)
I must say: support is great.

Tia, Hans

RorK

• Recent member

Hi,

I've been quite busy with work so I missed a day on this thread......

I tested -every- 3rd party app out there for the iPod, freeware and trial versions,  but as soon as one of them touches the iPod from within Explorer or a iPod browser app, the iPod stops showing music tracks after being disconnected from the pc.
iTunes will complain about not being able to see the iPod and reinitializes it so it can be used again.

So I gave up on all these apps and used iTunes to finally get music on it. Due to the fact iTunes doens't really seem to like big network folders I had to add every single folder manually into iTunes or it would crash.... Lovely....

If anyone has the same issues and can confirm if the latest update of MC will not show this unwanted behavior on the iPod after syncing I would love to know. This week has been very frustrating, I reinitialized the ipod more times than i can count...

rob

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

The build that was moved to the MC12 board today should work.

Apple keeps playing cat and mouse.

RorK

• Recent member

Europe recently fined Microsoft for these kind of practices, it might be just the right time for Apple to have a "visit" from the EU........  >:(

I will take a deep breath and try the latest build this weekend.....

rob

RorK

• Recent member

Hi all,

I didn't have time this weekend to try out the latest build of MC, to see if the issues with iTunes7.6/firmware 1.1 are solved.
Is there anyone who has done a successful sync with the above, and has tips and/or comments??

I'm getting very frustrated with using iTunes and want to move back to MC for my music collection...

rob

DarkPenguin

Hi all,

I didn't have time this weekend to try out the latest build of MC, to see if the issues with iTunes7.6/firmware 1.1 are solved.
Is there anyone who has done a successful sync with the above, and has tips and/or comments??

I'm getting very frustrated with using iTunes and want to move back to MC for my music collection...

rob

Quote from: SwellGuy
This is fixed in MC 12.0.421 which should be available for public consumption in a day or two.

Looks like.  Give it a shot..

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

rob

This begs the question; why haven't you done this already?  MC is VASTLY more powerful than iTunes even with iPod related tasks.  Once in a while Apple likes to try and throw a wrench into the works of third party apps like MC, but JR always figures out how to deal with these issues, and they do so surprisingly quickly.

Larry

RorK

• Recent member

@ lalittle:

My purchase of the iPod was just in between the release of the new iTunes version/Firmware and MC, so I couldn't use MC for synching.
My only option at that point was to install/use iTunes to get music on the iPod.

I was just checking to see if anybody had problems with the latest build of MC and the iPod firmware, as my previous attampts didn't work. Will have a go with it tonight as soon as I'm home.

cheers,

rob

RorK

• Recent member
iPod and MC still not working
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 02:41:30 pm »

Hi,

I'm getting -really- frustrated with this iPod............
MC is capable of initializing the iPod and moving music to it, but I (still) cannot eject after syncing. This will result in a empty iPod after a manual remove and disconnect.

I've been testing other apps as well, like Anapod and some freeware etc. but the result is the same. As soon as any app other than iTunes accesses the iPod, the music database is corrupted and I have to initialize again in iTunes.

I've also found out that due to the French government the audio level of the iPod is limited by law in Europe, making the iPod almost useless for watching small movies or podcasts on the bus or train. I've tried some tools to "work around this issue" but this doesn't work on the Ipod Classic, or will remove all music by corrupting the database again  :-\

Is there anyone out there that has the same problems, and has some solution to all this?

Running a iPod Classic, f/w 1.1 and MC 12.0.425

rob

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team

On the eject issue: I have found that with Vista I HAVE to use the OS level eject or things break.
On the volume issue:  If you can't turn it up loud enough to hear it then you have the wrong headphones for your listening environment and are probably damaging your hearing.  Get some noise canceling, or better yet some isolating headphones.  With my sound isolating headphones I only have to have the volume turned up to 1/4 when mowing the yard.

RorK

• Recent member
Re: iPod and MC still not working
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 03:39:08 pm »

Still running XP SP2, and have not been able to eject the iPod with any version of MC so far.
What I don't understand is the issue with the music database. Why is the iPod so stubbern and not letting me access it with anything other than iTunes??

About the headphones, I'm using a very decent Sennheiser HD 515, and the volume levels of the EU iPods are not enough to "feed"this set. This is especially noticeable with movies and pod casts. I'm very aware of the issues relating to long time exposure and hearingloss, but now I can't hear anything as the train noise is louder than the sound from my headset.....

rob

SwellGuy

Re: iPod Classic and MC not working
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 04:05:35 pm »

Try initializing and syncing a very small set of safe files (10 local mp3's) to make sure writing the database isn't hanging while trying to read tags from one of the files.

Don't worry about ejecting the iPod, if the display doesn't indicate that it is "Synchronizing..." just unplug it.

If this doesn't work we'll have to look into the possiblity that there's something limiting our ability to write the database in your locale. What's the full model number of your iPod?

RorK

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 04:45:13 pm »

It's getting late here and my iPod is -again- still syncing my music back into the iPod with iTunes...

I will try to initializing and syncing a small set of files tomorrow after work when I'm home again.
If you mean by full model number the serial, and if not, how can I find this out??

Thanks for the replies again,

rob

RorK

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 04:55:56 am »

Hi,

If I'm correct, the model number of my iPod Classic 80Gb is MB147.

If this is not what you're looking for let me know.
Will try copying some songs tonight when I'm home.

rob

SwellGuy

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 09:47:10 am »

Is it a MB147LL or does it have another designation at the end?

RorK

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 01:47:49 pm »

Errr...... On the iPod I can find the model number as MB147, no extra additions to that.

Nothing in iTunes as far as I can tell.
Serial number starts with 8L7 and end with YMV, not sure if that helps.

rob

RorK

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 04:20:02 pm »

So, any tips on how to retrieve the modelnumber??
I've tried to reinitialize the iPod and put music on it, but it doesn't show again after disconnecting the iPod. really frustrating........... again...

rob

SwellGuy

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 11:24:44 am »

Did you try initializing and syncing a very small set of safe files (10 local mp3's) to make sure writing the database isn't hanging while trying to read tags from a bad file?
Pages: [1]   Go Up