INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: List view buttons  (Read 1450 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
List view buttons
« on: January 23, 2008, 09:21:24 am »

Now that Grouping is almost there usability-wise, I find myself changing between "Details" and "Album thumbnails" more than I ever have before. To that end, I have put the list view buttons in my top toolbar, but they feel inadequate for a couple of reasons:

1) They look the same. You have to have the labels to be able to use them. That takes up a lot of space. Could they differentiated visually so that  we dont need the text labels. I'd even like to see them put next to the tabs so that they'd be there for everyone by default.

2)Since they change the list, it would be nice if I could change the grouping style in the same place. Could the buttons have little drop down arrows like the "Zones" or "Navigation" buttons do, with a "Group by" menu item, and maybe even a "Sort by" menu item.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: List view buttons
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:26:10 am »

The view title on every view already has a menu with those choices.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

johnnyboy

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 04:40:14 pm »

park - what I do is I edit the language file and rename the text displayed for these and then have text showing.
That way its super easy to see which is which.

gappie

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 04:48:59 pm »

park - what I do is I edit the language file and rename the text displayed for these and then have text showing.
That way its super easy to see which is which.

but they still start with 'list type:' . or is that now possible to get rid of that. it wasnt the last time i checked, and it is much real estate, three times list type: etc.
 but im happy that they are there non the less. so easy when you switch often. :)

johnnyboy

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 06:54:28 pm »

Unfortunately I dont remember any way to get rid of the List type - I was trying to myself alot as well.
I think in the end I ended up with like:

List Type : A
List Type : D
or something - so that it was minimum real estate.

Hopefully one day we'll be able to get rid of list type and just change it to whatever we want also.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 07:22:16 pm »

The view title on every view already has a menu with those choices.

Perhaps, but since there are already buttons on the interface, and generally speaking buttons are more fun to play with than menus, why not give those buttons a little bit more power and throw in the related list control functions as well? MC has always been the best at giving you different ways to accomplish the same task.

Part of the reason for asking for this, is that I have recommended MJ to a friend who uses itunes at the moment. I was thinking about how he'd find out about the different view methods. At the moment, (I assume the the list style buttons still aren't in the toolbars by defualt), he'd have to stumble on them through curiosity of what's in the drop down menu. Maybe that's fine for features like switching between panes and library view, but the list styles (to me) seem like the most fundamental of browsing methods. Thus, they need to be staring at you from the beginning.

And by extension, if those buttons were there from the beginning, and people were comfortable using them, their curiosity might just introduce them to the "Group by" features in a nice little drop down menu. This would be a gentler, less daunting, way of introducing MC's features than having one drop down menu with all the library view options, grouping options, sorting options, and list view options, staring out at you.

modelmaker

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 04:36:05 am »

I'd love to see Playing Now>Reshuffle added to the Shuffle on/off menu or a button added for it in Toolbar Options.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up