INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Secure CD ripping: Are offsets used?  (Read 1416 times)

tjobbins

• World Citizen
Secure CD ripping: Are offsets used?
« on: May 08, 2007, 10:53:07 am »

Hi

I have been ripping my CDs using Media Center's Secure Mode for some time.  My understanding was that this secure mode was on a par with EAC's exact copy modes, despite the latter program being much more complicated.

I've just looked at EAC again, and I noticed that EAC users say that you need to find the offset for your particular CD/DVD drive, and enter this into the options to ensure you are ripping from the correct sample start point.   dBpowerAMP has the same option.

There's a database of these offsets here: http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm

How does Media Center handle these offsets?  Does it use them, or  does it always start from 0?  If the latter, does this mean that Media Center's rips are not as accurate as EAC and dBpowerAMP?

Thanks

Tom

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Secure CD ripping: Are offsets used?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 11:55:42 am »

No, Media Center doesn't use those offsets, so you may have up to a hundredth of a second or so missing from your tracks. Of course, even if we did use the offsets there's no guarantee that the drive would always read identically, making the offsets kind of useless in my opinion.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 04:28:36 pm »

accurate rip IS NOT secure rip

Secure rip is one thing
accurate rip is your results compared to the results of other people ripping the same cd
It must allows to rip in non secure [ therefore faster ] and see the results against yours to know if you rip is ok .

To make short, the time you save in riping , you spend it reading.....

Most of EAC users never bother to find offets for they drives
It takes hours digging on the net trying to find your drive and so on .
Only people with Plextor know they offset without searching for it .

So i do think than offsets stuff is bulls..

And YES MC securerip is as good than EAC or DBpower one.

The only thing who may happens is than on one song with probs , one of them may rip the track when the 2 other ones do not .

few days ago ,DBpower took 3 hours and 20 minutes to rip a track to an acceptable quality when MC gave away after less than 30 minutes .

Do not know what EAC was able to do
I just hate this prog , so not on my computer

On a sidenote = MC NEVER left unconverter WAV behind as EAC use to do so very often

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:05:36 pm »

No, Media Center doesn't use those offsets, so you may have up to a hundredth of a second or so missing from your tracks. Of course, even if we did use the offsets there's no guarantee that the drive would always read identically, making the offsets kind of useless in my opinion.

I know that I'm a little late in replying to this post but I'm about to re-rip my entire CD collection  :'( and wanted to research a little about the EAC. I just found this very funny cause I thought that the offset thingie was a big deal  ;D

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 11:36:46 am »

no it is not

My bet is than you may never find the offsets for your drive
And never set EAC with it

As thousand and thousand EAC users do. No offsets

Since there is secure rip in jriver stuff,MJ8 i think , i did rip a lot and lot of cds using Mj or MC

I tested a lot JRiver versus EAC

And YES , MJ MC are as good as EAC and quite a lot more friendly to use.

The only reel danger is if the JRiver heads broke something when improving the next version of MC12- But they will fix it very fast, i assume
But on a Stable version of MC 12 , you can rip being sure you are getting the best rip possible
Pages: [1]   Go Up