INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it a bug or just my fault? MJ not obeying temp directory setting  (Read 1692 times)

TB2

• Recent member

When transferring music to my iPod classic I have a lot of ogg, ape and flac files which I need to convert. I had to restore my iPod today because of firmware 1.1 problems and now I need to upload the whole chunk of ~140GB to my iPod. This causes a huge amount (easily ~10GB) of files being converted to mp3 and MJ stores these files under:

C:/Users/username/AppData/Roaming/J River/Media Jukebox 12/Temp

by default.

As I quickly run out of Space on C: like this, I changed the path to Z:/JRiverTemp/Temp where there are ~80GB free. I was able to do this in MJ under:

Tools/Options/File Location/Temporary Files

I also changed the "Ripping, Recording, & Other Audio" Path to Z:/JRiverTemp/AudioStuff

But if I transfer the music to the iPod, the temp files still go to C:/Users/...
And running out of Space on C: is annoying. Btw, does MJ successively replace already transferred temporary files with pending ones, or why isn't there a warning in MJ as soon as C: is filled up? Anyway, I'd like to use Z: as my Temp partition, and MJ doesn't follow the path I set as the Temp directory.

Now, is this a bug? How to fix it?

PS: Vista, latest MJ build (12.0.025)

DarkPenguin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is it a bug or just my fault? MJ not obeying temp directory setting
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 09:29:52 am »

It looks like that temp location is used by the CD Ripper, CD Writer and the recorder.  (Which doesn't exist in MJ.)

That doesn't help you but it does explain it.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »

I can't understand why it gathers 10 GB or more temporary MP3 files. Does that happen because uploading to the iPod is slower than MP3 encoding? (It shouldn't be if USB2 is used.)

I would have recommended using a conversion cache in a defined location, but it seems like the cache feature is available only in MC.

Maybe you should add the temp file path in the Handheld options or make all parts of MC & MJ to obey the already existing temp location setting. In think there are also some other features that use temporary files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 10:43:59 pm »

Well there are two parts to this.  I don't know why we should build up that many files.  They should be deleted after transfer.  The other is what to do with that temp setting.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 12:54:30 pm »

We will be honoring that setting for Handheld transfers and RAW file conversion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up