INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Group single folder locations in a custom View Scheme?  (Read 802 times)

RedJ

Group single folder locations in a custom View Scheme?
« on: August 08, 2002, 10:04:11 am »

I can’t find a previous post on the subject, but this seems like it might be something hardcore MJ users have tackled before:
I have several folders in my music library that I use for specific purposes, like a “Temp” folder for new downloads and a “Singles” folder for miscellaneous individual songs that don’t make sense to take up their own Artist/Album folder.

What I want to do is create a View Scheme where these special purpose folders are organized together, but haven’t been able to figure out a way to make this possible.

Actually, it was hard enough for me to figure out how to display a singular folder in a View Scheme. As a side note for those who might be interested in doing this, here's how I did it: Choosing Location as the Component type and then the “Temp” folder as the base directory yielded an “(unassigned)” blue folder which contained every entry in the entire library. The way I got it to actually display the contents of the specific folder was to make the base folder a directory higher than the “Temp” folder and then put “\Temp\” under the search criteria (both “\”s are necessary).

So, I’ve got a view scheme with one single location listed, but not multiple locations. I tried putting all three folders on the search criteria line, separated with a semi-colon, but I just got nothing. I looked into using a Smartlist instead, but Location does not appear as a rule. Anyone got any ideas on how I can do this?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Group single folder locations in a custom View Scheme?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2002, 10:17:36 am »

I'm not totally sure I understand what you're trying to do.

However, try this:

1) create a playlist group
2) put a few smartlists under the new group
3) put fancy stuff in your smartlists like folder=[C:\Temporary] or whatever you're trying to do
4) create a new library view scheme
5) add this playlist group to your view scheme

Now, you can browse the smartlists in your playlist group from Media Library.

Does that help at all?

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2002, 10:28:22 am »

OK, my wheels are still spinning on this one.  Could you draw out what tree structure you want?

Like:

Regular Files
----Artist
--------Album
Temp Files
----Artist
--------Album

Then we'll figure out how to do it.... Thanks.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RedJ

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2002, 11:51:34 am »

Thanks for your help, Matt, I think your previous suggestion works.
Just in case there's anything else you want to suggest, here's an example of what I was trying to do:

I want to be able to quickly get to files in several well-used sub-folders under my music folder without having to drill down through all the folders under the File Location view scheme every time. The way I planned to do this was to create a custom view scheme where those well-used folders would be at the top level:

Media Library
-----Album
-----Artist/Album
-----Custom View Scheme (i.e. "Download Management")
----------New (c:\...\My Music\New\)
----------Temp (c:\...\My Music\Temp\)
----------Singles (c:\...\My Music\Singles\)

Thanks to your previous suggestion, it looks like using Smartlists and view scheme in combo to do this works. I just didn't think of doing it that way.  Other than the icon being a disc instead of a folder, I haven't yet found any difference in functionality. Thanks for the help!

As an additional extension of this, it would be super-useful to me to be able to drag tracks from one folder to another in MJ, i.e. take a bunch of tracks in Temp, and drag them into the Singles folder. If that functionality ever did get put into MJ, I don't think this playlist method would really work for me in that case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up