INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally, Pictures of my Server  (Read 2971 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Finally, Pictures of my Server
« on: January 23, 2008, 09:53:05 pm »

So finally, after so long...not sure why I didn't post pictures sooner.  These are about as good as I have.  I should take some more.  I always regret when I make major hardware changes and forget to take a lot of really good pictures.

Here is our household main (and really only) server.  It has sliding rails which were not yet added in the photo (and couldn't be seen).  Notice a slim DVD-RW drive, 3 top (non hot-swappable) drives, and 16 hot-swappable drives.  The case is Chenbro.  I have the bezel added so the handles have been removed.  It also has two USB ports.  The motherboard I'm using doesn't have a network LED nor does it have two network ports so I use Network 1 for the motherboard HDDs and Network 2 for the RAID array.  My card has pins for a complete LED light.  There still are 16 lights (for each drive) and essentially, if any single of the 16 is on, the network 2 light is on.  It's nice for quickly seeing if activity is going on.  Plus, the other LEDs are not the greatest.  They bleed across and don't work very well.  The network lights are separated and work better.

Here it is with the bezel and wireless keyboard/mouse running scandisk.  When I started the full scandisk I had no idea it would take (was it) 48 hours or so.  It really messed up my day because I had a 20KB file I absolutely needed and we had no internet due to a service change that same day (what horrible timing) so I had to drive back home to get what I could normally have downloaded over the internet.

This shows the three top hard drives and the slim DVD-RW drive.  You can also see the 4 of 5 hot-swappable fan and a small portion of all the cables.  The serial ATA cables are below where the picture was taken and are all in a bundle to the left (19 of them).

One of the worst pictures ever.  I think that adds up to 10 My Book's, all 500GB and opened for their precious contents.  What a nightmare opening all of them.  I got them because they were less expensive than the same internal drives.  I have a few of them in use and the rest are in a box.  I'd really like to get rid of some of them.

You can see my previous server.  It was an Antec case which held 4 + 4 drives comfortably (HDD + 5.25" bays) plus one in the floppy bay (two wouldn't fit) and the 10th was literally sitting in the bottom of the case.  Behind this was a much older system with 10+ drives that were used as intermediate backup while I made the switch.  They are stacked and tugging the cables in the case.  It was just temporary.  In the large case, I added a large fan with screen over it to add airflow to the four upper drives before closing it all up.  All ten of those drives are now used in my 16 drive system.  Scambling for temporary backup space is never fun.  I don't have enough space currently, though, so I think my only upgrade path is a fresh, brand new server.  Of course prices keep dropping so I'm going to wait as long as possible.

So there's some pictures.  Hope they aren't too blurry.

johnnyboy

Re: Finally, Pictures of my Server
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:00:46 pm »

Damn!
Thats one impressive looking server.
It beats 90% of the mine at work and relatively speaking, could be argued that it even beats the sun v890 we have ;)

benn600

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 06:08:21 pm »

From $34,995.00!!  Yea, I paid a lot less than the price of a Sun V890.

pank2002

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 10:59:12 am »

One of the worst pictures ever.  I think that adds up to 10 My Book's, all 500GB and opened for their precious contents.  What a nightmare opening all of them.  I got them because they were less expensive than the same internal drives.  I have a few of them in use and the rest are in a box. I'd really like to get rid of some of them.
Feel free to ship a My Book shell to me :) I would love to have some extra storage. At the moment I have only got the 100 GBs in notebook. Unfortunately my iPod recently died and my whole digital music collection died with it :(
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

benn600

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 12:27:47 am »

I would be happy to ship one (or two) for barely anymore than shipping.  I'm in ultra cleanup mode and would like getting rid of whatever I can.  And I would still have ~5 more if I shipped you two!  The biggest drawback is I need to figure out where all the hardware for them is and then sort it so I send the correct number of screws!

One annoyance with them is that they really are tough to get apart so if you seal them up (so they look very nice) it's a big pain opening them again.  But they'd be cheaper from me than other ones online.  I bought one from Newegg that is a piece of junk!  It holds drives but the design is horrendous.

pank2002

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 06:09:19 am »

Would you be able to fit any 3.5" drive into these enclosures? Or does it have to be a "special" build-for-my-book drive? I really need external storage, but every 500 GB drive is too expensive.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

benn600

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 10:53:59 am »

Perfectly standard normal drive case.  The My Book drives are 100% standard or I woulda been screwed buying them!  Making a special drive would be too costly I'm sure!

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 11:28:47 am »

It's not very pretty.  Couldn't you get it in a more colourful look?  :)

benn600

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 01:33:47 pm »

I can't afford paint, sorry.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 06:24:34 pm »

I Like the newer Raid Setup

I Am However Begining To Hate Maxtor And That Looks Like The Drives Used.

Not Unless I Can't Read.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

benn600

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 08:58:15 pm »

The top three 320GB drives are Maxtor but the 16 500GB drives are Western Digital.  I really have liked WD as long as I can remember.  I've hardly used any drives other than WD and Maxtor, too, so I'm simple folk.  I don't mess with all the other brands much.

Looking back I don't know why I didn't just get the top 3 drives as WD 500GB drives.  Would have only been another $90 or so and that would mean more security cam recording, internal backup space, etc.  Speaking of which, I should make sure my backups are running successfully on the server internal drives.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 08:28:14 am »

I really have liked WD as long as I can remember.

I Read Someplace the other day WD Has Signed A Agreement I With Direct TV Or Was It Tivo For There DVR.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up