INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gain issues: internet radio streams vs. media files  (Read 1052 times)

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Gain issues: internet radio streams vs. media files
« on: February 05, 2008, 11:32:33 am »

I have been trying to live with an issue I find quite annoying and have yet to come up with a decent work-around.

Web media (i.e. streaming audio, specifically internet radio) plays significantly louder than media files (i.e. mp3 or flac files). This is especially true when audio analysis/replay gain is used on the media files.
Web streams cannot be analyzed for Replay Gain, nor can a gain adjustment be added to the tags.

If I could edit the gain tags to reduce the plaback volume, even by a fixed amount (although not ideal) it would be livable. At least I could have level playback when switching between internet radio and my files.

Please help find or create a way to remedy this.
. . . the game is rigged

rjm

Re: Gain issues: internet radio streams vs. media files
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:18:32 pm »

Assuming you have analyzed your audio files and are using Volume Leveling I suggest you try increasing the Volume Leveling: Adjustment: Fixed to about +10.0 dB or a little higher.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 01:03:24 pm »

Assuming you have analyzed your audio files and are using Volume Leveling I suggest you try increasing the Volume Leveling: Adjustment: Fixed to about +10.0 dB or a little higher.
Which works fine, until playback switches to a file which has been analyzed, then that file is much lower than the radio stream was, necessitating another change in the DSP studio. This can become a it cumbersome to say the least.
. . . the game is rigged

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 01:04:24 pm »

The "Automatic based on current playlist" setting would raise the volume level of standard tracks as much as possible without making them clip. The used reference value is quite "safe" and usually tracks have margin before they start to clip (especially modern rock and pop tracks).

If you like to play the quiet album tracks at a proportionally correct volume level you can use the automatic correction together with the Album mode.

Here is a way for adjusting only the web streams:

Scot Thompson's EQdb plugin is needed for this. The screenshot should be self-explaining, but I'll explain if it isn't.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 06:13:26 pm »

That EQdb plugin is really interesting. I ended up, in order to use MAke All Tracks Same Volume, with no adjustments a hardware adjustment on my DAC and it worked out well. The internet stream issue is troublesome, thanks for a fix!

DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up